A weekend with the Viggen

dores893

Err ... wait a second, there is any way to see where the "eye" of the missile is looking? On the HUD, like on A10A? Because I never notice anything which make the search for target really difficult.

No there is no symbol you can slew around.

But there is a boresight Dot.

(you might have to lower the seat slightly to sea it on the HUD).

So you simply line up the boresight dot with the target (if the maverick seekers are boresighted)

and it should be in the middle of the Maverick optic letting you quickly locate the target in question and lock / launch.

Its probably even possible to just line the dot on target hold the Lock button and then launch without looking at the display hoping it locked the target or at least A target.

Though this is most likely not entirely accurate against smaller targets

as you cant be sure exactly what it locked or even if it locked something without looking at the EP-13 display.

(against ships or large structures etc it might be more reliable though)

But it could be something one could do with snapshot opportunities

(when there is no time to use the display and carefully lock the target).

I really wish they would have slaved some hud symbology to the seeker

(and maybe to the Radar Nav fix system as well) since it should not have been impossible to do considering they were able to add hud symbology linked to the Aim-9s seeker

(showing where its looking once unslaved).

But Saab does things their own way ^^

and that's what makes them so much fun.

Edited by mattebubben

Since we're discussing targetting the Rb-75, the vertical slew control for missile and radar are inverted. Is it something wrong with my install or is it just an early access bug or one of those things as mentioned that Saab did their own way?

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Since we're discussing targetting the Rb-75, the vertical slew control for missile and radar are inverted. Is it something wrong with my install or is it just an early access bug or one of those things as mentioned that Saab did their own way?

A fix is in the pending update list for 1.5 and I guess it will be in the next update. It might even be in 2.0 already (can't test atm).

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

No there is no symbol you can slew around.

But there is a boresight Dot.

(you might have to lower the seat slightly to sea it on the HUD).

Oh, thanks! Now I see and targeting is way easier indeed. I only wish there is custom snap view for EP-13 zoomed in. For those who don't have that fancy look around equipment it is quite a pain to manage the camera and zoom in that speed. When you need seach for your target a bit, its really rough. For close radar view, there is such a snaphot I can bind on my HOTAS...

The Ancient Fox

Oh, thanks! Now I see and targeting is way easier indeed. I only wish there is custom snap view for EP-13 zoomed in. For those who don't have that fancy look around equipment it is quite a pain to manage the camera and zoom in that speed. When you need seach for your target a bit, its really rough. For close radar view, there is such a snaphot I can bind on my HOTAS...

They mentioned they might such a Snap view for the EP-13 before the release.

Dont know if they are still planning to do so but i hope they are as

it would indeed help those less fortunate who dont have Track IR

(Or something similar).

Just do what I did (I don't have any head tracker) and set up your own custom snap views. I have one set to put my eye right up against the rubber or bracing of the EP-13, and two others for setting up lights, radio, ck-37 access, weapon settings, and the drop-tank and weapons jett. buttons.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1743483&postcount=3

This link has it all.

*EDIT* Follow his instructions for changing that one value in the .lua file. I don't know if it changes whether the Viggen can set it's own snap views or not but its what I did.

I find my target on radar, put the target waypoint over it, select RB-75/T/AGM-65B, go to ANF, and put the seeker bore-sight marker right on the HUD's waypoint target ring. It really works well for taking sam sites, air defences, finding convoys, you name it.

Edited by Ice_Cougar

Dores 893

I always use the AFK for landings. I have experienced your type of problems and always when the airbrakes are out. I do not think the AFK is tuned for the viggen with airbrakes out (needs aggressive throttling) so the problem could be you have the airbrakes out on the final.

Just do what I did (I don't have any head tracker) and set up your own custom snap views. I have one set to put my eye right up against the rubber or bracing of the EP-13, and two others for setting up lights, radio, ck-37 access, weapon settings, and the drop-tank and weapons jett. buttons.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1743483&postcount=3

This link has it all.

*EDIT* Follow his instructions for changing that one value in the .lua file. I don't know if it changes whether the Viggen can set it's own snap views or not but its what I did.

I find my target on radar, put the target waypoint over it, select RB-75/T/AGM-65B, go to ANF, and put the seeker bore-sight marker right on the HUD's waypoint target ring. It really works well for taking sam sites, air defences, finding convoys, you name it.

It works. For one mission. There is SnapViewsDefault.lua where those views are kept, but it lacks section for AJS37. Otherwise it is amazing!

The Ancient Fox

It works. For one mission. There is SnapViewsDefault.lua where those views are kept, but it lacks section for AJS37. Otherwise it is amazing!

As for the training missions (cold start, taxi and take off) the first three contain their own view setting that overwrite the user one. It's a well known issue in DCS. It's especially a pain when deployed on the MP server for instance.

Anyway, Heatblur should remove the "config\view" folder from those missions.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all