I find it tough to fly DCS without VR

Johnny Dioxin

Before VR, you knew you weren't flying--somewhat going through the motions. There was never any confusion about the fact that you were sitting in your living room.

With VR, you have access to the actual joy of flying. The fact that "most" guys that have tried it will tell you that the hi-def 2d screen has been ruined for them--even with the poor resolution of VR--should tell you something.

Typically, most guys will just hop in their buggy and get it airborne as soon as possible so they can get to the furball. Now, you actually enjoy the run up, taxi and take-off just for their own sake.

Once foveated rendering makes even a little higher res possible with current hardware, it will be absolutely party over.

Before VR, you knew you weren't flying--somewhat going through the motions. There was never any confusion about the fact that you were sitting in your living room.

With VR, you have access to the actual joy of flying. The fact that "most" guys that have tried it will tell you that the hi-def 2d screen has been ruined for them--even with the poor resolution of VR--should tell you something.

Typically, most guys will just hop in their buggy and get it airborne as soon as possible so they can get to the furball. Now, you actually enjoy the run up, taxi and take-off just for their own sake.

Once foveated rendering makes even a little higher res possible with current hardware, it will be absolutely party over.

Yes that's the drug that VR hooks you with.

All the early release features of VR are negated by the very simple yet powerful feature of immersion.

I am flying!

I am looking around, fov sucks, but I'm still turning and moving like I would if I weren't a pc jockey.

I have depth perception.

One of the reasons why you like pretty high resolution displays with sim graphics cranked to max is because it helps with overcoming the fact you know you are sitting in front of a flat 2d screen.

A true pit though with projectors etc is about the only completion for VR though. Even then having sampled the fruits of VR I can't imagine a projector setup unless it's in stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, VR is the future of flight sims but it is far from as awesome as these guys make it sound.

I do both and I am always annoyed by the guys online that use "I'm in VR" as the excuse for shooting friendly aircraft.

While VR is very immersive the resolution in current devices is terrible for flight sims. Seriously....how can you act the current VR is so awesome when most of the guys using it aren't even capable of identifying friend or foe when the supposed foe in front of them is not even avoiding them or maneuvering.

If you were given a massive curved screen that wrapped all the way around you and allowed you full 1 to 1 movement of your head but the resolution was so poor that you could not do one of the most basic requirements of identifying aircraft, you would say it was total crap and useless. But because VR fools your mind by making things appear 3D the people using it just ignore the shortcomings for the novelty of it to the detriment of the rest of us. If you want to fly around online in VR then stopping making your lack of resolution other people's problem. If you can't identify them, don't shoot! If you get shot down because of it, oh well, that is what you choose to do.

Edited by Alphazulu

Yes, VR is the future of flight sims but it is far from as awesome as these guys make it sound.

I do both and I am always annoyed by the guys online that use "I'm in VR" as the excuse for shooting friendly aircraft.

While VR is very immersive the resolution in current devices is terrible for flight sims. Seriously....how can you act the current VR is so awesome when most of the guys using it aren't even capable of identifying friend or foe when the supposed foe in front of them is not even avoiding them or maneuvering.

If you were given a massive curved screen that wrapped all the way around you and allowed you full 1 to 1 movement of your head but the resolution was so poor that you could not do one of the most basic requirements of identifying aircraft, you would say it was total crap and useless. But because VR fools your mind by making things appear 3D the people using it just ignore the shortcomings for the novelty of it to the detriment of the rest of us. If you want to fly around online in VR then stopping making your lack of resolution other people's problem. If you can't identify them, don't shoot! If you get shot down because of it, oh well, that is what you choose to do.

I have to strongly disagree, it's more than awesome its super awesome.

c22534852562fadd4e693d42507c5a51.gif

Sounds like you have issues based on certain personal experiences which you are then blanket applying to everyone flying VR.

I commonly fly with 10+ people in VR on various servers and I've not heard any of those excuses used. If anything more often then not I hear "Im in VR cant confirm request other verification".

I wouldn't call a curved screen crap as you put it, I'd def say it has short comings during its infancy. But the immersion that curved screen would allow over a 2d monitor would be well worth it.

I can't do TIR anymore. Mines more of an ergonomic thing than anything. I would get such headaches from having to keep my eyes on the screen while turning my head. Having a 1:1 ratio is incredible more helpful to me. I do wish for better clearity and they need to fix the model enlarging for VR. But outside of that, it's the only way I'll fly. I would like to note that even real pilots shoot down friendly forces in "combat." It's less about visuals and more about communication between wingman.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

from what you saying i strongly doubt that you tried VR. i've been flying now the F15 in VR for 8 months . and i never had a problem identifying friend or Foe for the simple reason is that i use the radar to identify Friend or foe . even without VR and with my 4k monitor i could never identify friend or Foe visually no matter what .

• Like 1

Reading all the comments from people that switched to VR from the 4k monitors I'm so glad I've never had one and never seen what DCS looks like on those super expensive screens. I built a high end system and switched to the Rift from a 24" 1080p:D

Saying that I will never fly on a monitor again. No VR? no DCS for me.

Edited by RUS38

I tried flying with TrackIR again recently and found it much more difficult than I'd remembered. Without VR I'm very, very bad at formation or A2A refueling. Simple things like sustained level turns require way more attention with TrackIR.

My only complaint is still model visibility in VR. At close range, maybe <5nm it's not an issue. For BFM or formation work it's a huge benefit. Trying to identify aircraft beyond that is almost impossible. The model simply disappears after a certain distance. With TIR and the unrealistic amount of zoom available you can spot much further out. In that regard it's a pretty big disadvantage using VR in MP combat.

I have to strongly disagree, it's more than awesome its super awesome.

c22534852562fadd4e693d42507c5a51.gif

Sounds like you have issues based on certain personal experiences which you are then blanket applying to everyone flying VR.

I commonly fly with 10+ people in VR on various servers and I've not heard any of those excuses used. If anything more often than not I hear "Im in VR can't confirm request other verification".

I wouldn't call a curved screen crap as you put it, I'd def say it has shortcomings during its infancy. But the immersion that curved screen would allow over a 2d monitor would be well worth it.

\

First, off I would like to know what your experience is based on? Since you are so inciteful as to point out that my experience is based on personal experience. What else can my experience be based on? I guess your experience in VR is not based on your personal experience....okay...whatever.

No, I'm not blanket applying anything. Please tell me how sharing my experience in VR and saying I fly in and like VR but for the people using VR online need to be careful of this issue. Where was this applied to all people in VR and if it does, then I'm including myself in this. Based on my statement, if you say you have to strongly disagree, then you are simply saying that it is okay to shoot your own teammates when you are in VR. That's what disagreeing with the comment I posted would mean.

That is a ridiculous statement, here people are discussing the caveats of VR in DCS and you turn around and say "No that's not part of this issue, it has never happened to ME". Talk about self-centered. You can say it never happens to you as much as you want it still doesn't change the fact that it happens to other people on other servers every day, but I guess that's just our shortcomings because we don't do what YOU do in DCS.

So if DCS has a massive bug and keeps crashing all of the modules except the ones YOU fly then DCS is perfectly fine and has no issues in your opinion???? Is that it?

People on here can be so ridiculous if something doesn't happen to me then it doesn't exist......what a joke.

Oh ya, I almost forgot to add.....I have never once heard someone in VR say "I'm in VR can't confirm request other verification".....so I guess it doesn't occur and you just made that up based on your own personal experience on a server that I don't fly on, therefore it does not occur. Sound correct to you?

Edited by Alphazulu

\

First, off I would like to know what your experience is based on? Since you are so inciteful as to point out that my experience is based on personal experience. What else can my experience be based on? I guess your experience in VR is not based on your personal experience....okay...whatever.

No, I'm not blanket applying anything. Please tell me how sharing my experience in VR and saying I fly in and like VR but for the people using VR online need to be careful of this issue. Where was this applied to all people in VR and if it does, then I'm including myself in this. Based on my statement, if you say you have to strongly disagree, then you are simply saying that it is okay to shoot your own teammates when you are in VR. That's what disagreeing with the comment I posted would mean.

That is a ridiculous statement, here people are discussing the caveats of VR in DCS and you turn around and say "No that's not part of this issue, it has never happened to ME". Talk about self-centered. You can say it never happens to you as much as you want it still doesn't change the fact that it happens to other people on other servers every day, but I guess that's just our shortcomings because we don't do what YOU do in DCS.

So if DCS has a massive bug and keeps crashing all of the modules except the ones YOU fly then DCS is perfectly fine and has no issues in your opinion???? Is that it?

People on here can be so ridiculous if something doesn't happen to me then it doesn't exist......what a joke.

Oh ya, I almost forgot to add.....I have never once heard someone in VR say "I'm in VR can't confirm request other verification".....so I guess it doesn't occur and you just made that up based on your own personal experience on a server that I don't fly on, therefore it does not occur. Sound correct to you?

First, you did make blanket statements at everyone flying in VR.

Seriously....how can you act the current VR is so awesome when most of the guys using it aren't even capable of identifying friend or foe when the supposed foe in front of them is not even avoiding them or maneuvering.

But because VR fools your mind by making things appear 3D the people using it just ignore the shortcomings for the novelty of it to the detriment of the rest of us.

Your last post came off as a rant. I hate/am annoyed at VR players because they shoot myself or other teammates down.

I'm sure it happens though so I get the frustration. I play on Blue Flag and have not encountered that scenario as of yet however. More often then not blue on blue is because someone isn't on coms.

Second, my disagreement is with the point you've stated numerous times. That in its current state because of specific downsides VR isn't amazing. I was not disagreeing that shooting down teammates is O.K.

The current areas in VR that are lacking do not out weight the upsides for myself and numerous other people in this thread and others.

First, you did make blanket statements at everyone flying in VR.

Your last post came off as a rant. I hate/am annoyed at VR players because they shoot myself or other teammates down.

I'm sure it happens though so I get the frustration. I play on Blue Flag and have not encountered that scenario as of yet however. More often then not blue on blue is because someone isn't on coms.

Second, my disagreement is with the point you've stated numerous times. That in its current state because of specific downsides VR isn't amazing. I was not disagreeing that shooting down teammates is O.K.

The current areas in VR that are lacking do not out weight the upsides for myself and numerous other people in this thread and others.

Why are you ranting on....sounds like a personal problem to me based on biased experience.