Rift vs. Vive for DCS- 1 year later

TripRodriguez

Hey folks,

It's been over a year since the "how much better is Rift" thread, and now because of a new head tracking solution for Vive that is ideal for motion sims I'm considering making the switch from Rift CV1 to Vive.

So now, a year later, how do the two HMD's compare in DCS specifically. I'm looking for opinions of people who have used both in DCS.

It's also worth mentioning that the Vive has a Foveated tracking add-on currently in the dev kit phase I think, that should dramatically increase the frame rate. This could be really great in DCS.

Thanks for any useful information.

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

It's also worth mentioning that the Vive has a Foveated tracking add-on currently in the dev kit phase I think, that should dramatically increase the frame rate. This could be really great in DCS.

Foveated rendering requires extra hardware in the headset, I doubt we'll see that in the current gen VR devices.

Haven't tested Vive in DCS lately so I can't really comment on the main question though.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Foveated rendering requires extra hardware in the headset, I doubt we'll see that in the current gen VR devices.

Haven't tested Vive in DCS lately so I can't really comment on the main question though.

Not the case for Vive good sir. =D It is going to be a $220 upgrade though.

https://uploadvr.com/7invensun-eye-tracker-for-vive/

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^ broken link

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------

^^ broken link

Link should be fixed now, thanks.

Also: Yesterday I purchased a used Vive so I'll post my own opinions here once it arrives (next week) and I get it set up and tested. I will be selling one of them immediately after testing so I can pay my bills this month. =O

Theoretically it will be my Oculus I'm selling, and I have a friend who will probably take it.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've heard about those before and will be interested in how they end up working in the wild. I doubt I would get them myself though. Pretty expensive kit and current gen still suffers from low PD/SDE.

Gen2 HMDs will almost certainly make use of FR combined with 4k displays. They'll probably come stock with wireless too and who knows what other tech(inside out tracking, etc.).

If I were to stick with the Vive, I'm not expecting the next one until at least the end of 2018, if not into 2019. That leaves plenty of time to save my nickles, as well as feel better about making another big VR purchase. I'm on the VR upgrade train no matter what though.

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

Not the case for Vive good sir. =D It is going to be a $220 upgrade though.

https://uploadvr.com/7invensun-eye-tracker-for-vive/

According to early reviews of this kit I found on reddit, it doesn't work if the software does not support it, there's no "magic driver" that will take care of it. So don't expect this coming to DCS any time soon.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro