are solar eclipses modeled?

peachpossum

Hi,

I was curious if solar eclipses were modeled in DCS World so I found some information on a total solar eclipse that occurred in the Caucasus region back in 1954.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/1954-june-30

OKWdNQP.png

Min-Vody is about 20km North of Pyatigorsk according to Google Earth.

I created a simple mission in 1.5.7 and set the date and time to 30 June 1954, 16:30 and set an airstart over Min-Vody at 7500m and flew around for a bit. I didn't see any evidence of a solar eclipse or dark shadow passing along the ground. I played with the mission start time, adding and subtracting an hour with similar results.

Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong, or are solar eclipses simply not modeled in DCS?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i9-9900k 3.6 GHz, 64 GB 3200 MHz ram
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
RTX 4090, Samsung 970 pro NVMe

Well,

DCS World correctly calculates Moon Ephemeris based on date/time, and you can open the mission editor and set a particular date, and time, and observe the Moon but...

.) The Moon is depicted in the sky just when it is at quarter or greater illuminated area;

.) The angular diameter of the Moon represented in DCS is quite inferior to that of the Sun, contrarily to RW;

So, I believe it will not be possible to observe an eclipse since:

1) The Moon should be near the New Phase, and hence not represented in the Sky;

2) Even if it was represented, it's angular diameter being smaller than that of the Sun would not allow for the Sun to be obscured;

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• 4 years later...