LASTE procedures IRL

NoJoy

I'm wondering quite a while whats the real life procedures for the LASTE.

In short, when are the wind data are punched in the CDU and from who the data comes from?

What I do mostly on my sorties is to enter the data on my way to the theatre or sometimes on the ramp during preflight procedures.

But that brings the big how and why!

The wind given by the metreological guys is a picture how it is right now and what they expect it to be by the time flying over target area. It's not what it is when I drop my ordnance. Expecting it to be as much as precise as it gets knowing the wind right on top of the target from i.e. 30.000 ft to ground.

So all this would only be a guess and makes a weapon release as precise as it would be without any wind information at all!?

BTW, I always use the LASTE with the wind information from the briefing and it works quite well for me.

You guys get my thought?

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

IIRC wind is not punched in manually, computer creates the layers automaticly

Edit: quote from the a10 pilot AMAA on reddit "The IFFCC builds its own wind tables continuously during flight. There is an option to set your own values but I've never tried it out." Here is the link to it if you wanna read, a10 pilot amaa

Edited by kylekatarn720
  • Like 1

I dont think so, if im not mistaken ours only sees the layer it is currently in and unless you punch in other layers manually, that single layer will be the base of calculations.

Edit: gotta add one more thing, the guy in the AMAA' s a10 is suite 8 something ours is suite 3. I dont know if suite 3 has that capability irl.

Edited by kylekatarn720

IFFCC continuously adjusts for wind (even the A-10A had the capability). Manually adding wind data simply isn’t necessary outside of some very specific, and unlikely, circumstances.

It uses current wind at altitude and then applies adjustment algorithms to predict the wind down to the ground. Combined with good weapon delivery techniques there is no need at all to manually enter wind data.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks guys, enlightend me quite a bit.

I'll continue to type in the wind data into CDU though...

still love to fiddle around with all those buttons and switches in my hog.

:joystick:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5