Making a new computer, how will LOMAC run?

Hi there,

You're looking good there with that choice... I guess the only thing I might consider is instead of i965 get the i975 chipset motherboard... and maybe an X950XTX instead of GT version but it does cost more. Either way, the CPU and that RAM is good... you'll be easy to get 3GHz on it no problems... oh and if you intend to overclocl just get some good air coolant instead of stock Intel. If you even intend to go Crossfire (it won't give you any increase in MIN frame rate in LockOn) you might wanna consider bit jucier PSU

No longer active in DCS...

i975 is worse than i965 when it comes to overclocking, this Asus P5B Deluxe is good choice. For Lock On the CPU is more important than graphics card, X1950GT would be more than enough if you didn't play in very high resolution (1650x1050 and more) with antialiasing and anizotroping filtering maxed out.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I recommend you get a better power supply. 18 Amp on the 12 V rail will seriously limit you video card choices and possibly the stability of your system.

This one is pretty nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

It is built by Seasonic and has a 5 year warranty. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, its big brother the 620HX is even better.

Review of this unit can be found here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Walter is right.... The PSU is not something to be skimped on, it could be considered the heart of a computer. The great thing is, is that there are plenty of really good ones at great prices.

Follow the links that walter put up and here's another.

look at " Official XS Tiered PSU...."

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Also man... if you can hold out for a few more weeks there are mad Intel price drops supposed to be coming

Computer

almost same system I have been looking at. Take a look at the Antec tx tx1050b black soho case with atx 500watt PSU(159CDN) Great case and really good PSU. SKU076134561052. Graphics card I was looking at the x1950xtx and the x1950gt , xtx is without a doubt the fastest but gt is also very good. Actually the x1650 512mb with gddr3 would also be a good choice. the 512mb makes a big difference to the other x1600 series cards. I have one of the first x1600pro's and have excellent results but in AGP. The others with PCI-e run faster but my little pro does just fine so I think the Graphics card is a personnal choice. The two you have mentioned xtx or gt will do you well for a long time. I like Raedeon Cards, seem to have less problems. 8800 in nividia is fast but has some small issue especially with Vista, which I would stay away from for at least a year. Will do nothing for flight simming but other games you may see and some are probably out now with dx10, I don't follow them because I only fly combat sims. You have got some really nice prices there as well. If I would change anything , like was mentioned before would be the PSU. I would look at a couple of Antec case with PSU's and ask some questions unless you really like that case, then the decision is easy PSU and leave the rest as you have it and you got yourself a very nice setup. cheers.

Yes I was going to say the same thing regarding the power supply...

When you build you want to have enough power to handle everything in your system.. And you should get one with extra power in case you want to go SLI or Crossfire.. 850 is a good choice for now....

And you should also use a quality PS like Antec or Enermax, that way you'll actually get the power that's rated on the side of the P/S case..Cheaper power supplies don't always provide what they say they do...

And another thing regarding on line shopping don't buy everything in one place as you'll wind up spending more then you should.. Try BizRate to name one for comparison shopping.. They usually deal with a number of reputable vendors and most vendors have different prices for different items...

I'm no ace but I've learned this from trail and error...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Pod, I agree with Kuky also in that you might want to pass on that 1950 GT. LOMAC seems to like my X1950 XTX. I'd say go with an 8800 GTS but they have shader issues with LOMAC. :)

---------------------

FX 55 Sandy@ 3.03 GHz

Tuniq Tower 120

DFI Lanparty CFX 3200-DR/G

(2X) X1950XTX Crossfire@ 695 core

2048 OCZ PC 3200 Platinum (2-3-2-5)

Antec TP3 650

Samsung 19" LCD (8ms)

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Track IR 4

CH Pro Pedals

:pilotfly:

I have the 8800GTS... the problem is a rather small one from my stand point..

I did seem to have more issues when I first installed the card but for some reason my graphics have gotten better... The only thing that I actually did was to lower the shadow setting from full to all planar.. Everything else is set to maximum..

Lock On is actually really starting to open up for me finally after all of this time..

Visuals are astounding, especially in dog fights using TIR 4 Pro...

Its very cool to see the enemy whizzing by the canopy, the detail is incredible and that goes for missile shots as well.. I can finally see their vapor trails heading for me and in some instances take evasive action...

Now all I have to do is practice and I can actually get good at this ... :lol:

But as far as upgrading my card I'm planning on going with an ATI Crossfire for DX10 when its finally released at the end of the summer...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I have the 8800GTS... the problem is a rather small one from my stand point..

I did seem to have more issues when I first installed the card but for some reason my graphics have gotten better... The only thing that I actually did was to lower the shadow setting from full to all planar.. Everything else is set to maximum..

Lock On is actually really starting to open up for me finally after all of this time..

Visuals are astounding, especially in dog fights using TIR 4 Pro...

Its very cool to see the enemy whizzing by the canopy, the detail is incredible and that goes for missile shots as well.. I can finally see their vapor trails heading for me and in some instances take evasive action...

Now all I have to do is practice and I can actually get good at this ... :lol:

But as far as upgrading my card I'm planning on going with an ATI Crossfire for DX10 when its finally released at the end of the summer...

~S~

Blaze

Blaze, sounds great man! :thumbup: I'm getting ready to put my X1950XTX Crossfire rig together this week. Along with a much-overclocked cpu on my new Lanparty mobo. :pilotfly:

---------------------

FX 55 Sandy@ 3.03 GHz

Tuniq Tower 120

Antec TP3 650

Samsung 19" LCD (8ms)

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Track IR 4

CH Pro Pedals

Building your own is really a big part of the fun of flight simming bro...

It can get really frustrating when you have a problem though... I know that there where times when I felt like I wasted a lot of money...

I know what works for me is to just keep at and start to pay a little more attention to what I'm doing and I usually solve the problem...

So enjoy and don't forget if you have any issues were all help you if we can....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Yeah this Lanparty mobo isn't supposed to be the easiest build...nice to know I have a 'safety net' of friends online. :)

---------------------

FX 55 Sandy@ 3.03 GHz

Tuniq Tower 120

Antec TP3 650

Samsung 19" LCD (8ms)

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Track IR 4

CH Pro Pedals