F18 MFD exports now work with a very quick tweak.

Cowboy10uk

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again Sarge:

Thanks a bunch for working on this with me. You're providing me with a clearer understanding of the mod process. Its really appreciated.

I've implemented your AMPCD lua, along with your monitor setup lua (minius Harrier). Still no joy on AMPCD placement on second monitor.

Quick question though. Do I have to pass these lua's through JSGME or OvJME first?

Because even though I've changed the scripts to mirror your's, my F18C saved lua is not showing up in my in game options monitor setup pulldown. BTW, I'm also using Notepad ++. And we've got something else in common. I'm also north of sixty, kissing 68.

Note:

My primary is a Dell Curved 34" @ 3440x1440 and, secondary

[ATTACH]200045[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]200046[/ATTACH]

Thanks again, and hope to chat soon.

Hi Mike,

When you renamed the file you were missing a ; in your monitor file (FA18C.lua). I added it, so try the attached one and see if it works.

FA18C.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

AMPCD Export to Snd Monitor

Hi Feefifofum and SARGE55:

I followed your step-by-step guidance and, am elated to report - JOY to the World this Holiday Season. I finally got AMPCD to render within my 3rd TM Cougar MFD. Also changed the Shader Draw Line parameter from false to true in the associated AMPCD indicator lua with great results (corrected blurry font). "See Photos below" However one additional question. Since the green font kinda gets lost in the sauce on the moving map - how can I change the font color to maybe: Black, Blue or, Red for better contrast?

Now onto further layout development with placement of EFIE, RWR, HSI and other standby gauges on 2nd monitor along with a Left & Right panel build using Capt Zeens's HELIOS profiles/images to populate my 3 remaining monitors.

I was able to accomplish this challenging task in my previous modest cockpit builds for DCS's A-10 and BMS' Falcon (see attached photo) using a combination of HELIOS and YAME profiles and image extractions. I'm confident I can replicate it within the F18 model.

I've been waiting with bated breath for a truly immersive F/A-18 Hornet simulation since my early days with Jane's F/A-18, DI's Super Hornet and, Graphsim's Operation Iraqi Freedom. ED has answered my prayer. The DCS F/A-18C will now be my goto aircraft. Also can't wait for TM's Hornet Flight Stick release - I'll be one of the first to anti up.

Thanks again guys for your gracious support and in closing _ Merry Christmas to All and, To All a Good Night. Happy Holidays. :pilotfly:

20181124_105529.thumb.jpg.a1162e82864ad392d8f1efa7eaadfb84.jpg

20181223_124458.thumb.jpg.ebb00354fef14ef6f7e071c7e72ada65.jpg

20181223_124606.thumb.jpg.c2908a3c0f2d61df6d4f05daa269fd91.jpg

Hi Mike,

Glad you sorted it out.

I use YAME with my BMS setup as well. Tried Helios in the early days but I think it shines with a touch screen and I didn't have one.

There is a mod which puts a black border on the text in the AMPCD display. I think I saw it in the user files on the DCS site. I actually turn off the map and only pop it up if I need it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Thanks again SARGE. Yeah, you're right. HELIOS pops with a Touch Screen which I'll use with my remaining three touch screens. Sound advice regarding AMPCD. I'll follow your suggestion and disable the map until I need it. Map is great for visual location/sit awareness. But, as I learned early on as a Mud-Marine - master shooting an azimuth on your hand held compass. Additionally, I'll look into font color options.

@Peaches,

That's all I get as well. I gave it up for now.

I may have a solution for you guys...

RWR.png

With the default settings the virtual cockpit would be showing an 'N' here, but the extraction would look like an '|'. So in my monitor file I have:

F18_RWR =

{

x = 3456;

y = 0;

width = 256;

height = 256;

}

And in the RWR_ALR67_init.lua:

shaderLineParamsUpdatable = true

shaderLineDefaultThickness = 15.0 --0.8

shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 5.0 --0.4

shaderLineDrawAsWire = false

shaderLineUseSpecularPass = true

-- Capt Zeen mod

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")

try_find_assigned_viewport("F18_RWR")

--

In other words, massively increased the line thickness and fuzziness. Although these can probably be wound back a little, which might make the virtual cockpit view look more reasonable.

I also found that there seems to be a relationship between the size of the exported RWR region and the line thickness / fuzziness. As I make the region bigger I have to increase these numbers accordingly.

Is helios required for the Hornet? I just got my Cougars setup perfectly with the Harrier, but whenever I am able to get the MFDs exported the information is shown over the center view. See the attached. Is there a way to export MFD's without using Helios/

368145857_MFDExport.thumb.jpg.e62c803b8d50fb65acaab1ba16834be2.jpg

@Tiberius,

Thanks for checking that. The grand kids are over for a few days so no time to start DCS.

@Sephroth

Yes there is, actually I think it is the most commonly used method. Check the first post in this thread, Cowboy10uk provides a link.

Also check the "Input and Output" thread although you will have to do a bit of a search. https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=96

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Is helios required for the Hornet? I just got my Cougars setup perfectly with the Harrier, but whenever I am able to get the MFDs exported the information is shown over the center view. See the attached. Is there a way to export MFD's without using Helios/

Export is done by your custom "Monitor. lua" file in /Config/MonitorSetup.

Hear it defines your monitor layout and the exports you want displayed together with their position and sizes.

And with reference to the top left of the combo.

Use "Notepad ++" to edit or create these files.

Edited by ShadowVonChadwick

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

I got it to work! I ended up just modifying the left center right monitor lua that DCS came with. Updated it for my monitors and success! Both the Harrier and the Hornet work perfectly. The exported DDI's from the Hornet look better than the cockpit version. Amazingly I can still stay between 60fps-100fps with this setup. Love it!

bingo.thumb.jpg.1cbb1d6d469e7720e2489679681b9705.jpg

Nice, now all you need is a third Cougar MFD to export the AMPCD to. I use the third one with the Harrier as the UFC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It works perfectly for two of the Cougars. It also happens to be 1080p so it makes lining up the monitor for me at least better. I need to work on making the wiring cleaner, and also easier to remove. I use this desktop for DCS as well as normal gaming, and having 10 different things plugged in via USB becomes a pain to remove if I want to play something else.

It works perfectly for two of the Cougars. It also happens to be 1080p so it makes lining up the monitor for me at least better. I need to work on making the wiring cleaner, and also easier to remove. I use this desktop for DCS as well as normal gaming, and having 10 different things plugged in via USB becomes a pain to remove if I want to play something else.

That's my concern as well. Thanks for the link though.

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon all. I need some assistance if anyone is willing....

I have the Cougars and I have the second monitor that was recommended.

Created the .lua file and the MFD's export and appear as planned.

In Windows 10 I have the second monitor set up and can move the mouse back and forth between the two even when flying DCS.

The issue is that I can not get the MFD's to appear on the second screen. I moved them down slowly and have the left MFDat the very bottom on the main cockpit screen but it doesn't show on the secondary monitor. I can put my mouse on it and pull straight down and the mouse appears but the MFD now.

My DCS resolution is set at 3840 x 2160

I'm sorry to bother y'all with this but I'm stumped and after 5.5 hours of trying resolution changes and such and I am getting nowhere.

Any wisdom is appreciated

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

since the last update my IFEI no longer shows up on my export monitor any ideas on what i need to change. here is my iua set up

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('My Practice');

Description = 'practice file'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1920 / 1080;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 4608-715;

y = 0;

width = 730;

height = 730;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 6528-825;

y = 0;

width = 825;

height = 825;

}

CENTER_MFCD =

{

x = 4608;

y = 0;

width = 830;

height = 830;

}

--IFEI

F18_IFEI =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 600;

height = 233;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

since the last update my IFEI no longer shows up on my export monitor any ideas on what i need to change. here is my iua set up

It won't show up unless the IFEI_init.lua has been modded for it. Sounds like you downloaded someone's export mod, which will be overwritten every time the game updates unless you use something like JSGME to remove and apply mods for updates.

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer