msffb + leo bodnar board?

Just completed and tested. It works great! No more input deadzone and refueling is smoother and less fatiguing.

After I noticed the deadzone I shelved my stick extension project. Now I can go ahead!

Thank you Birdstrike, Sydost, and Sokol!

mh ok...got the board and put everything together like u guys suggested.

windows instantly recognizes it as BU0836A Interface. but it doesnt seem to recognize any axis from it. i cant even try to calibrate it as the calibrate button in windows is greyed out.

the connections to the pots must have been working, as its still seeing the msffb2 axis without any problem.

EDIT:

ok its working! had to switch the connectors on the bodnar board 1 pin each to the right and then it was working...now windows is recongizing it as y and z axis...

Edited by birdstrike

Cool! Post here if you have any further issues.

P.S. I found that using the XY axis as the MSFFB2's roll axis in DCS controller settings, then setting deadzone to 100 and setting the x and y saturation to 0, eliminated issues with jittering and the roll input from the Bodnar board. Leaving the MSFFB2's x axis assigned to "roll" caused problems for me, even with 100% deadzone and 0 on both offsets. It caused an issue where full left stick caused the stick to go to neutral when approaching the left most limit of stick travel and random violent jittering of the in-game stick and control surfaces.

So for each aircraft in-game, under the MSFFB column in the assign axis section, I set the xy axis for "roll," then set it's deadzone to 100% and both x and y saturation to 0. I then set the Bodnar board's x axis to roll and y axis to pitch.

Edited by Aries144

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Great information here, thank you. I have done the mod using a Bodnar 836X and it works great in DCS. Also works great with force feedback effects in IL2 1946. I didn't even need to bind the MSFFB2 axes to another axis in the game.

One question though - it doesn't work in IL2 BoX. I can bind and use the 836X axes fine, but there is no force feedback. I can get force feedback if I also bind the MSFFB2 to roll and pitch, but then in-game the aileron and elevator seem to be responding to the MSFFB2 input not the 836X.

There is no option in Il2 BoX to put a100% deadzone like in DCS, because the controller tuning is against the plane control not the joystick, so the deadzone affects both the MSFFB2 and 836X.

Any ideas?

One thought I had was to wire up some spare pots to the MSFFB2 input and disconnect the pots on the stick. That way, I might get force feedback and control from the 836X? Or maybe just no control at all

Thank you

UPDATE

Ok I solved this - use Diview to give the FFB2 axes a 'zero' calibration i.e. set start mid and end points all to the same value

Edited by marcost
UPDATE ~SOLVED~

W10 64

I7 4790k o/c to 4.6Ghz

Asus Maximus Ranger VII

24gb DDR3 RAM @ 2133

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

ASUS ROG G-sync 27" monitor

DCS on M2 drive Samsung 960 Pro

MS FFB2 with F-16 grip

CH pro throttle

MFG Crosswind pedals

TrackIR 5

3 x Bodnar button & axis boxes

• 1 year later...
Hi,

Great information here, thank you. I have done the mod using a Bodnar 836X and it works great in DCS. Also works great with force feedback effects in IL2 1946. I didn't even need to bind the MSFFB2 axes to another axis in the game.

One question though - it doesn't work in IL2 BoX. I can bind and use the 836X axes fine, but there is no force feedback. I can get force feedback if I also bind the MSFFB2 to roll and pitch, but then in-game the aileron and elevator seem to be responding to the MSFFB2 input not the 836X.

There is no option in Il2 BoX to put a100% deadzone like in DCS, because the controller tuning is against the plane control not the joystick, so the deadzone affects both the MSFFB2 and 836X.

Any ideas?

One thought I had was to wire up some spare pots to the MSFFB2 input and disconnect the pots on the stick. That way, I might get force feedback and control from the 836X? Or maybe just no control at all

Thank you

UPDATE

Ok I solved this - use Diview to give the FFB2 axes a 'zero' calibration i.e. set start mid and end points all to the same value

So i tried this and it didnt seem to work for me, the very small deadzone on the stock ffb2 controller is still apparent for me. would this be because i wasnt running diview in admin mode you think?

• 6 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I’m considering modding an MSFFB2 and am currently researching all the different options.

Could anyone who has paired a Bodnar board with this stick comment on the following? Am I understanding it correctly that the primary benefit would be as a way to remove the stick input deadzone? As it appears that in a practical sense on its own it probably doesn’t do much to increase the precision or accuracy of the stick.

And also, if I were to attach a different grip to the stick, might there be any benefit to trying to attach its wires to the Bodnar board rather than use the stick’s own board? I could see this being a necessity if the stick has a gameport connection, but if it was USB, would there be any advantages?

Am I understanding it correctly that the primary benefit would be as a way to remove the stick input deadzone?

Yes, that is the primary benefit.

And also, if I were to attach a different grip to the stick, might there be any benefit to trying to attach its wires to the Bodnar board rather than use the stick’s own board? I could see this being a necessity if the stick has a gameport connection, but if it was USB, would there be any advantages?

No. The only advantage I can think of is to having one USB device less.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GregP said:

No practical diference in send an new grip buttons and HAT through MSSFB2 circuit or L.Bodnar board - if the grip has up to 8 buttons + POV HAT, MSFFB2 circuit limit.

But even in this case will be more easy attach the wires in Bodnar board, than in MSFFB2 circuit buttons connections - half is in the base,  and the ones in the grip need the PCB under HAT as "diode matrix", that need be keep for new grip, or made a PCB replacement = more work. This is explained in this video.

Spoiler

• Like 1