Easiest of Carrier Case Landings

Eaglewings

I find case 3 landing more fun and easy to do.

The straight-in pattern, the ICLS guidance, the Marshall stack, the arcing turns, getting to trim for AOA when still miles from the carrier all just add up to make case 3 landing so much fun.

Case 1 is no fun for me yet. It is simply work and tense moments. The break turns and having to quickly trim for AOA and setup to fly the crucial numbers, grove too short to use ICLS system and course steering to guide.

Yet to try the case 2 pattern though.

I am wondering what is your take and that of real pilots about the easiest and coolest of Carrier Case landings.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I like both. CASE I is pretty straight forward as long as I manage to account for the wind correctly on the downwind in order to not be way long in the groove. CASE III wasn‘t quite as much fun for me with the HUD symbology at first but now with the correctly sized needles it‘s a lot of fun. I have yet to try it with extremely low visibility though.

Also, the needles won‘t appear as soon as you turn the ICLS on but rather when you get closer to the carrier to intercept the glidepath since the last update. That‘s a plus too.

The reason you don't like Case I is the reason I love it lol. I just love having to be at utmost concentration for me to hit the numbers and be where I need to be. Case III is a lot of fun for me as well, a bit tense but all you have to fly is the needles.Case II, if you're wondering, is a Case III marshal stack with a Case I approach and pattern.

Here is, after a month's practice, getting my first FAIR grade as by a USN pilot.

Thanks guys for sharing opinions.

Different strokes for different folks.

Case 1 was the only carrier landing I was doing before the coming of case 3.

I get the satisfaction that comes from a 3 wire trapping after so much concentration flying the numbers. Also imagine the frustration from constant failure.

I am still working the my case 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

That's why it's cool and you can quickly jump in the jet and do a few laps after work to stay somewhat proficient at it. Just leave the hook up and do a few patterns to practice. Throw a tanker up there for when your low on gas to make it even a little more interesting.;)

Also if anyone is struggling, I recommend going back over Lex's video's, they are very cool.

Practice like he does in this one, then do some patterns with the hook up etc.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

That's why it's cool and you can quickly jump in the jet and do a few laps after work to stay somewhat proficient at it. Just leave the hook up and do a few patterns to practice. Throw a tanker up there for when your low on gas to make it even a little more interesting.;)
Yeah, good method.

I got to work this case.

Thanks.

That's why we say tastes are a nature thing (got to admit not sure the saying does translate in english :P) What i mean is, we all have our tastes, i personaly like Case I way much more, starting from holding pattern down to the deck. I still haven't tried yet a Case III in DCS yet.

It contains lots of precise steps like the Case III also need precise steps and numbers, but the fact that it happens way faster in Case I is what i like it for, but most, the fact we have sight of the environement, my thrill of flying in DCS is the fact in VR it sorta bring a dream come true in VR it is such fun, flying the Hornet 1 and 2, being in the sky and see the world around, to be honest, i am not a fan of flying much in night time, i did some IMC landings for most aircrafts/Helicopters i own in DCS, but this is not what i like most.

Hard to explain my thrill, but all i can do is point out a video someone shared recently... which exlains wat i like it for... just starting the descent and accelerating at the carrier'S 9 o'clock, getting behind the ship at the proper distance, speed, the second you start the break and end up where you want it on downwind, when you turn up wing level in the groove and end up on the proper spot... once you succeed on each passes it's such a « relief »... for me, since i'm so bad at doing thing, this is the only thing i almost got perfect, well, almost close to almost perfect :P

As for the video i thing is last Holding circle is around 10:00

Well that is good.

I practice with 104th VFA-133 LSO case 1 mission.

Grove looks too short to start doing ICLS when you roll in final. Airboss usually cut me off if stay to long in the Grove.