Add a "comms" effect on a voice-over

Simicro

Hi,

I have voice-overs of a pilot doing his checklist during ramp start up.

The audio files are .wav and I have "Audacity" for sound editing.

Does anybody knows how to add a "comms" effect to the audio files, as if heard over a radio?

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Sorry, error.

Can a Moderator move this to:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=210

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

My favorite way is by simply using simple radio and using the test sound button. I instruct audacity to record the sound coming through my headphones, press record, press test sound in SRS and voila. This way I can get uniform sounds and all I may need to do is adjust some levels and add mic clicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bunkerjunker :)

Maybe I am new to audio editing and Audacity (I just know how to trim files), but I don't understand.

I already have the .wav files. For some reason too long to explain, I cannot record again. I would need to add a "comms" effect to the existing files.

- Tony -

A good starting point would be applying a low pass filter for sounds above circa 5Khz and a high pass filter for sounds below 300hz or so. You could then try to amplify the results by a few dB (I'd try to start between 10 and 20) while making sure to allow for clipping. You could try to generate a noise track and amplify it down to generate a bit of background noise.

A lot of aircraft have alternating currents that operate at or near a frequency of around 400Hz. This sometimes produces an audible tone in comms.

. You can generate a tone of such frequency in Audacity, and modify it to sound similiair to the AC tone. Might add a little authenticity, depending on the airframe you're communicating with :)

There's also an AM radio function under the equalizer that might be worth playing around with.

All the values I mentioned are ballpark figures. Up to you to edit them to what sounds right.

Check my F-15C guide

Many thanks Sryan for your guidance :thumbup:

I think I got it.

If you want to follow up my trials, please check this thread in the future.

- Tony -

Simicro, I may be able to slice two wavs together if that’s all needed to correct the voiceovers. If not if you agree to my other proposal I’ll cover redoing the voice overs from scratch

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

BlacleyCole, I'm OK now. Thanks for your proposal though.

- Tony -

Thanks BaD CrC. I will give it a try, at least on the 1st part your proposal/tip. I haven't learnt to blend tracks yet ;)

- Tony -