Adding ILS to Land Airport?

kaoqumba

Where on earth did you get 'bumblebees' from?

C'mon Trev, you know … Killer Bees brother Bumble. Aren't you waiting with bated breath to fly that new Transformers Hornet in the transoceanic terrain with the altimeter setting of 28.00? :D

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the F4J we always did GCA approach to fields {ground controlled approach directed by a controller on the ground, this was a precision approach}. I wonder if something like this could be implemented in DCS?

not sure the software AI could provide this, but I guess in Multiplayer, a human providing Fighter Control (GCI) and some sort of ATC function could provide an ASR (or SRA) [ Approach Surveillance Radar] talk down. So not the precision approach you mention.

For those unfamiliar, this is an ATC controller using a plan view only radar to talk the pilot in heading only to the centre line and at appropriate distances provide the cue to start the 3 degree decent (glidepath) and at subsequent distances read out what height the pilot "should" be at. This is NOT a PAR (precision Approach Radar) that would provide a vertical as well as horizontal position to the controller to very accurately talk the pilot down (and provide mandatory directions (steers) to make the runway.

At sea, UK navy GCI controllers used to provide CCAs (Carrier Controlled Approach - an SRA as described above) to Sea Harriers (1980s - 1990s). Towards the end of their service life (2000's), the UK CVs introduced PAR capability. My only experience of witnessing USN Case 3 recoveries was in CAVOK (CAVU in US language!) conditions where the Hornets & Super Hornets had ICLS anyway. JPALS (using GPS) will eventually replace ICLS & ACLS in the USN.

https://news.usni.org/2013/11/22/navy-completes-initial-development-new-carrier-landing-system

-

TACAN or Waypoint approach in IMC. (a Cheat ILS for F/A-18)

Whilst I have been told that the NAVTOPS states to use the TACAN approach as shown in WAGs excellent video, and I should NOT encourage bad practice..... the cheat (I cannot claim credit as this, I'm sure has been posted before) is to place a waypoint (with correct altitude) on the threshold of the active runway. Set as a previous waypoit approx 10 miles short on actual runway centre line and follow. once settled on the correct runway heading (overflying previous, 10 mile out waypoint helps) set the Runway waypoint as a target and place the flight path indicator (ideally at 3 degrees below horizon) on it. The position of your Flight Path Marker in relation to the Target diamond on your HUD is your ILS (above, below, left right etc). You should aim to land just beyond the target diamond if you have placed this waypoint on the runway threshold.

I did not read though all the pages of comments... just wanted to say there is an ILS mod for the f18c that allow you to land via ILS at airports.

I only tested it on the persian map in the international airport but it worked perfect.

I think i found the map here on the forum somewhere..

( note make a backup of the file you ahve to replace.. and be aware everytime there is a new update for the f18c you need to install the file again... and be aware if you play online on servers that verify game files then it might be an issue ( but not 100% sure about that ))

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of those situations where it helps to go outside DCS and read up on how to fly IRL. It's been years since I studied this -- in a Cessna, mind you -- but iirc the main thing is, you need a navigational aid like a VOR either on the airport, or near the airport lined up with the runway. You have to be heading toward the VOR -- in this case a VORTAC I guess -- on a certain radial, and then you use the course deviation indicator on the HSI to ride that rail right down to the runway.

When you first tune in to the VORTAC, you'll see there are an infinite number of ways to get to it. You could head straight to it, or you could fly around and approach from another angle. But there's only one way to get there and be lined up with the runway, and that's to do two things:

1. Fly toward the VORTAC

2. On a certain course. Which is the runway heading. So if you want to line up with 18, you have to set a course of 180.

Let's say you're coming in from the east. You set a course of 180 to the VORTAC. You'll see the CDI needle is pegged at the top of the HSI. You would first fly west -- toward the CDI needle, not toward the bug -- until the deviation indicator lines up. THEN you would turn south, and keep it lined up until you get on the ground.

The other part of the approach, if I remember correctly, is there are a series of waypoints you have to follow, where you're supposed to maintain a certain altitude so you don't run into mountains and towers and stuff. Combination of virtual waypoints that are up there in the sky somewhere, and physical items planted in the ground -- "markers" -- that beep when you fly over them on close final.

Key is to pop out of the clouds at the right altitude, in one piece, more or less lined up with the runway, and then land like you always do.

You just have to practice. Step one is learning how to fly. Level flight is harder than you think, especially when you're going slow. Gotta learn how to keep your eye on the vertical speed indicator and figure out how to keep that at zero using the throttle more than the stick. Practice stalls, know where the break is, learn how to fly right up to that line without going over. Next you gotta pound the pattern, get to where your approaches are consistent. Especially on final, 99% of your work should be done by then. Then learn how to fly a course using the HSI properly.

After that, you just gotta hope the mission designer doesn't hate you.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 3 weeks later...
I did not read though all the pages of comments... just wanted to say there is an ILS mod for the f18c that allow you to land via ILS at airports.

I only tested it on the persian map in the international airport but it worked perfect.

I think i found the map here on the forum somewhere..

( note make a backup of the file you ahve to replace.. and be aware everytime there is a new update for the f18c you need to install the file again... and be aware if you play online on servers that verify game files then it might be an issue ( but not 100% sure about that ))

Where can I get this MOD?