ECM Jam Toggle?

DarkStar79

ECM causes your plane to emit a lot of radar noise. Theoretically this makes you very visible to enemy radar but denies them the ability to measure your range because your own noise overwhelms the enemy's radar return. Basically, if it works then the enemy will be able to easily tell what direction you're coming from, but won't be able to tell how far away you are. I've read that the ECM module in the tomcat is basically useless, and I'm not sure how well ECM is modeled in DCS anyway

Yea i know what the ECM do. But i cant see any switch or anything moving in the cockpit. Is it the same as tell jester to Xmit the ECM or what? Also how do i know from the cockpit if the jammer is xmitting and so on? I cant find anything in the manual on the ECM jam toogle switch?

The RIO has no ECm switch afaik. He only has the DECM selector knob (see kengou's link), which he can use to put the jammer into active mode. In that mode the jammer will emit jamming if other radars are detected. The RIO gets warning lights to the right of his fuel gauge, where it says RCV if the DECM system recieves radar emissions and XMIT if the DECM starts jamming.

I don't know how jamming looks like in the DCS Tomcat though, neither if jamming other contacts actually does anything or if the Tomcat gets affected by jamming itself :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think the question here is, "If the RIO is the only one with access to the ECM controls, then why is there a keybinding for ECM available to the pilot?"

I need to be at my computer to be able to play around with it and find out what that binding actually does. That's the issue being looked at here.

Edited by Sergeant_Hamlet

I think the question here is, "If the RIO is the only one with access to the ECM controls, then why is there a keybinding for ECM available to the pilot?"

I need to be at my computer to be able to play around with it and find out what that binding actually does. That's the issue being looked at here.

Yes, thats exactly what I wondering. :-)

The question remains though: Are jamming effects actually implemented in the Tomcat or is the jamming functionality in the pit just a placeholder? If the effects are implemented, what do they actually do?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The question remains though: Are jamming effects actually implemented in the Tomcat or is the jamming functionality in the pit just a placeholder? If the effects are implemented, what do they actually do?

I believe it was implemented, per the description in the manual, but works just like jamming on any other plane in DCS. Other radars will see your bearing but not range, will show up as a fuzzy line instead a single contact on most types of radars.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD