Stick forces

KiraTheCat

Being a 70's aircraft, I'm sure the F-14 didn't have fly by wire, which would seem to indicate that the stick had some resistance to it, most likely directly dependent on speed. Was this the case and if so, how difficult was it to move the stick at various speeds?

I ask because I have a Thrustmaster Warthog, and I got tired of wearing my arm out pushing against that godawful spring, so I took it out. Without that beast of a spring, the four lightweight springs make the thing practically feel fly by wire-esque. Doesn't seem to help my formation flying any, but at least I'm not getting tired while wandering all over the sky!

Most of the FFB related discussion goes on here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223103 I realsie you're not quite talking about a FFB stick but you'll find the the workings of the actual stick in there also.

Anecdotally, I forget where I read it but apparently in supersonic flight the stick was extremely difficult to yank on, to the point where ripping the wings was far less a concern than we have.

I too would be intrigued as to just how wide the range of forces were translated through the stick, just how heavy/light did the stick go I wonder.

Significantly harder to move than a Warthog stick.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I suggest you read the stickies at the top of this subforum. Namely the handling one.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.