Tough to See Meatball and Dim Approach Indexer

bonesvf103

Has anyone heard if ED will be doing something about making that meatball brighter or more visible? I can't see the thing until I'm at the rounddown and the spherical antenna above it is colored such that it makes you think IT is the meatball.

Victory205 also complained about this and being that he was a real Tomcat driver, I think that makes it a very valid complaint.

Also, the approach indexer in the Tomcat is both tiny and dim. I can deal with tiny, but it is still dim even if I turn the brightness all the way up on it. It's even worse when the sun shines on it.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

This is most likely yet another symptom of the poor lighting that has plagued DCS ever since the rendering update that happened when 2.0 went live. Lights simply do not have the brightness (to say nothing of the almost complete lack of actual illumination) they should have in low-visibility situations — it's not a huge surprise that they also behave badly in high-visibility context where they'd already not be as efficient.

The constant word for the last two years has been that it's “being worked on” and that it has been “improved”, but none of that actually equates to the problem being fixed. Rather, those improvements and piecemeal workings-ons seem to be addressing individual critical issues instead of going after the underlying cause that most likely would require significant work on the renderer.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I sometimes have trouble picking up the meatball, but the indexer is pretty much unreadable for me because it's so dim. If it wasn't for the HUD AOA indication I wouldn't have a chance of trapping.

I'm using a 1080 monitor.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I'm not on VR. I'm on a 1080P monitor. I see that others have similar issues. Now the approach indexer on the Hornet, no problem. Just on the Tomcat. But the meatball is hard to see in any case.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Victory mentioned the white radom behind the meatball has a tendency to drowned out the meatball- which is why it wasn’t white in real life... he actually made a comment that we should petition ED to paint it dark grey for just that reason and I’m actually a bit surprised that it was never adjusted- I can’t even find a mod that did it (though I haven’t looked that hard maybe someone has one)

Anyway i don’t know much about the lighting issues as mentioned above but Victory made a point that I think would help resolve “some” of the difficulty spotting the meatball more clearly.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Victory mentioned the white radom behind the meatball has a tendency to drowned out the meatball- which is why it wasn’t white in real life... he actually made a comment that we should petition ED to paint it dark grey for just that reason and I’m actually a bit surprised that it was never adjusted- I can’t even find a mod that did it (though I haven’t looked that hard maybe someone has one)

Anyway i don’t know much about the lighting issues as mentioned above but Victory made a point that I think would help resolve “some” of the difficulty spotting the meatball more clearly.

Yes, that is the issue that Victory described.

v6,

boNes