Controllers and Lighthouse

williehayesjr

No you do not, I get by just fine with just the headset and two base stations. And I heard of several people playing with only one base station even.

If you run SteamVR beta, the button on the headset it self can be used to click SteamVR menus, or you could use an xBox controller or something like that. Most settings can be set with KB and mouse outside VR anyway, so it's no problem either way.

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Hello Brothers and Sisters, I am considering buying the Valve Index VR Headset. All I do is sit while flying in DCS World. Do I really need the two controllers and the 2 Lighthouses--I could use that money to finally buy the Thrustmaster hotas warthog flight stick. Any advice?

Hello williehayesjr,

I see the Controllers and the perfect tracking as the highest value of the Index. So my Question: Why are you going to buy an Index if you are not going to use the strength of it.

Go with a HP Reverb.

As you can see in my signature. I own them both. And until the Reverb i loved the Index for flying. But the Clarity and the readability in the pit now counts more. Now i use the Reverb for flying and the Index ist used for games with controllers. Because the controllers from the Index are the best to me.

System

i9 9900K / Asus MAXIMUS XI Hero /

32GB DDR4-4400 / RTX 2080 ti / HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind / Valve Index / HP Reverb / Vive Pro / PIMAX 5k+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't used the Index, but I really love my Reverb. The clarity is better than the Rift S, and it runs really well for me. My first Reverb had an issue with the left ear piece so I returned it to Amazon, but my new one is flawless. Not sure what your specs are though. The only PC games I play is DCS, so I really don't need to use the controllers unless I'm using some SteamVR menus in VR. So make sure you're not spending unnecessary money if you only play DCS like me.

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Do I really need the two controllers and the 2 Lighthouses

Many Index reviews said that the price was a negative. Well, not when you only use it for flying and/or racing sims. I bought a headset and one base station. I saved heaps of money and tracking has been flawless.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

Regarding the Reverb, it dosen't have adjustable IPD, so if your IPD dosen't fit, theres a pretty good chance of it giving you quite alot of eyestrain!

The very reason I sold my Rift S and went for the Index and I'm glad I did.

I will probably get the controllers somewhere down the line, but I don't miss them for now.

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

You can buy a-la-cart at the Steam store. HMD $500, the base stations are $150 each but you can use the 1.0 base stations. The 2.0 are not backward compatible with older Vive peripherals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Hey Driskill, Are you suggesting the Reverb would better suit my needs. I am a 67 year old retiree, who loves flying and more specifically, DCS. At the moment, sitting and flying is all I need. I never considered the Reverb, tell me more please.

Hello Williehayesjr,

as Dachs correctly says, the Reverb does not have a physical adjustment for your IPD. All i can say is, that the Index is a great piece of tech stuff. And coming from a Vive Pro (with Gear VR Hack) it was a great imrovement in the FOV and the size of the sweetspot for me - not in resolution. I could really look behind me for the first time flying VR. With the Reverb i was able to read everything in the cockpit for the first time flying VR. I mostly fly the f-18 and therefor being able to read everything without leaning in is worth to me a lot. But i have to admit, that i think about using the Index for flying the Huey. Because with the Index i am able to keep my head up and simultaniously look at the Altimeter with my eyes without lowering my head. With the Reverb i can´t do that.

Hope that helps you to chose the right HMD for you.

Yours Driskill

Edited by Driskill

System

i9 9900K / Asus MAXIMUS XI Hero /

32GB DDR4-4400 / RTX 2080 ti / HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind / Valve Index / HP Reverb / Vive Pro / PIMAX 5k+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]