Any chance of a pitching flight deck?

Kula66

Re: Any chance of a pitching flight deck?

Its dark, raining, lightening, no moon, cloudy and the CV deck is moving up/down/left/right ... now that would be fun!!!

James

Yeah, I also miss a moving carrier deck - would add to the difficulty and to the immersion in the gameplay

The problem with this that immediately comes to mind is: why would it be pitching and rolling. The sea that is in the sim is fairly calm. To see a carrier being tossed around by nothing would actually hurt immersion in my opinion. Of course, if ED at some point adds a "Rough Seas" option it would be great. FPS may not be great.

The problem with this that immediately comes to mind is: why would it be pitching and rolling. The sea that is in the sim is fairly calm. To see a carrier being tossed around by nothing would actually hurt immersion in my opinion. Of course, if ED at some point adds a "Rough Seas" option it would be great. FPS may not be great.

Not quite - a vessel might roll and pitch even in a calm sea, if it's moving. The bow plowing in the water and the wind blowing the hull are enough, even if the sea is calm.

Octav

True, but you can certainly get a big swell without wave crests forming that will roll a big ship about ... also, given the wind speed that you can set, you should get some white caps forming on the sea ... more FPS gone!!

James

Some texture shifting will do, and the fps hit wouldn't be that great - What about bow waves of moving ships in 1.02, then?

And movement alone, without wind, is enough to roll and pitch a ship

True, but you can certainly get a big swell without wave crests forming that will roll a big ship about

James

I've never been to the theater of LOMAC but I do have a bit of knowledge about wind, waves and swells. I don't think the Black Sea is large enough to support a significant swell without high winds and whitecapping. I haven't heard of Yalta being a Mecca for surfers :wink: .

Vertical deck movement would probably make a "realistic" landing very difficult to simulate. As it is now, there are some who complain about how easy or "scripted" the landings are.

Other than a visual effect, what would be the point of a pitching/rolling flight deck? Would you alter your approach?

I understand what you say about the Black Sea ... any surfers from Yalta like to comment?

As to pitching decks, I have enough trouble with movement in 2D, but anything to add to the challenge/realism ... I would love to take off on a pitching deck (see recent Kuz video), spey coming over the bow ... perhaps in the next Sim LO2, when we have about 10 x the CPU/GPU power of today :)

James

Hi,

Just a comment about pitching flight decks.

Apart from being extremely huge and heavy, aircraft carriers are designed to provide maximum stability even at "high seas" on the large oceans, so the likelyhood of seeing a rolling and pitching Kuznetsov flight deck in the Black Sea is very low :) .

It would take some rather extreme weather condition for a 65000 ton aviation cruiser to be rolling and pitching on the waves, and if it did, flight operations would most likely be suspended anyway :)

Besides, I could write a (very)long list of things which IMO should have much higher priority than weather conditions when considering improvements to the naval aspect ;) .

-JJ.

JJ

Hi,

Besides, I could write a (very)long list of things which IMO should have much higher priority than weather conditions when considering improvements to the naval aspect ;) .

...Sharks? :P

LOL...

Well Michael if I was to include that, it would come pretty far down my list :lol: .......and as a metaphor ;) .

No I think things such as....

- (a few) new major surface combatants added to the list of naval entries

- higher detail models for existing ones

- improved modelling/detail and not least night time lighting of carrier flight decks.

- new code for a more accurate depiction of deck operations - including functionality of the arrestor gear, taxiing and positioning of aircraft and helicopters after landing.....perhaps including working elevators.

- improved modelling of naval weapons functionality/characteristics/capabilities

- introduction of countermeassures(decoys and ECM) for ships

- improved AI routine for naval units

......should have priority over seaguls and dolphins :)

And the first "environment" feature I would suggest in connection with a naval oriented title, would be to add a "ship trace"(in lack of the proper term) as ships are moving across the sea...

11442.jpg

Pyotr_Velikiy.jpg

....sea(lol) what i mean? :)

And then of course there is another long list to write for things concernig the naval aircraft :) .

-JJ.

JJ

• ED Team

As for Black Sea I should say that 5-7 m waves are not very unusual thing but surfing is not possible because of very sharp gradient of the depth so there are no long "pipes". The wave stands as a bear and then fall down. We only used to dive through the wave or to slide down from the back side of it when they are up to 3-4 m. But I saw the waves that were much higher and nobody can even get into the sea because it was deadly dangerous. (Sukhumi, Sochi)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

And the first "environment" feature I would suggest in connection with a naval oriented title, would be to add a "ship trace"(in lack of the proper term) as ships are moving across the sea...

English term is "wake".

Oh yes thats right :lol:

Thanks Mako :)

JJ

Well Michael if I was to include that, it would come pretty far down my list :lol: .......and as a metaphor ;) .

No I think things such as....

- (a few) new major surface combatants added to the list of naval entries

- higher detail models for existing ones

- improved modelling/detail and not least night time lighting of carrier flight decks.

- new code for a more accurate depiction of deck operations - including functionality of the arrestor gear, taxiing and positioning of aircraft and helicopters after landing.....perhaps including working elevators.

- improved modelling of naval weapons functionality/characteristics/capabilities

- introduction of countermeassures(decoys and ECM) for ships

- improved AI routine for naval units

......should have priority over seaguls and dolphins :)

Working elevators and Crew deck is my Dreans wish list

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Yeah for Carriers you definately need ground crew. Super Hornet featured this so it has been done before. The thing I'd like to see is the the elevators. eg you start the mission below deck, take the elevator up to the top and then go through the start up procedure. I'd also like to see the Naval version of the Mig29.

cheers

Subs

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]