Starting to regret my Pimax 5K+ purchase

Shack

Everytime I go to fly DCS, the damn HMD is not picked up by my lighthouse. I have had it successfully working at times, but every time I shut down my computer and attempt to fly the next time, it's like starting at square one - lighthouse not detecting the HMD. Unbelievable.

I will be selling my Pimax on ebay in the not too distant future.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had a 5K for a while. The most reliable way of connection to the base station was to turn the device around horizontally in view of the base station. After a little while this became a quick standard process. Might be worth trying.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I had a 5K for a while. The most reliable way of connection to the base station was to turn the device around horizontally in view of the base station. After a little while this became a quick standard process. Might be worth trying.

Thanks I’ll try it. :thumbup:

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Keep the base stations below eye level, that worked for me when I had one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Keep the base stations below eye level, that worked for me when I had one.

Thanks those suggestions worked. I did notice the common theme that you both "had one" . Which HMD did you opt for ?

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Index for me. My IPD is 58 so that pretty well decided it. While the 5K+ has adjustable IPD, it had to be all the way in which crushed my nose. I tried using the software IPD but it didn’t help either. Honestly it was a frustrating nightmare altogether. The IPD issue was just one thing, I could never get it to run smoothly with PiTool and steam either and I have the fastest system I could buy. Some people swear by them but not me. The Index is in the same price range and is the highest quality build of everything out there. It doesn’t quite hit the clarity of the Reverb but it’s better than the Rift S by far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I'm still happy with the 5k+ to be honest.

I do sometimes have to move the headset around a bit to get it picked up, but then it works pretty flawlessly.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I'm still happy with the 5k+ to be honest.

I do sometimes have to move the headset around a bit to get it picked up, but then it works pretty flawlessly.

That is not exactly flawless.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have both the Pimax 5K+ and the Index, and I prefer the Pimax over the Index for DCS. I haven't had that problem, and I have my base stations mounted higher up on the walls not far from the ceiling.

What I may do that is a little different is that I have my headset and the lighthouses all plugged into the same power strip, so when I'm done playing (and exited SteamVR), I shut everything down with a single switch. Doing that consistently has removed almost all incidents where it wasn't recognizing one or both lighthouses immediately (although that was pretty rare for me, anyway).