NineLine

Feedback on VOIP  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Feedback on VOIP

• Yes, working fine here.
    • No, I couldn't get it to work right.

Hi,

my feedback:

I experienced lags and desyncs since the end of october update in DCS MT multiplayer.
After many evenings of checking and testing on my end i stumbled over a post of a reddit user who claimed his squadrons problems were gone after they disabled voice chat on their servers.

So our server admin disabled voice on our servers on my request and my lag spikes are gone. (I had Voice disabled on my side all the time).

Maybe voice contributes to the multiplayer problems with lags many have discribed in the mp bug section.
In retrospect it all would make sense. End of Oktober ED introduced the updated voice chat and my problems began.

Thanks.

Edited by Sile

My Mic-Test just spews noise when I try and configure my mic, so I can't use the new VOIP. I've attached my dcs.log, dxdiag, and this 6-second video comparing how my mic sounds normally vs. in the DCS Mic Test. I've also recently completed a repair of my DCS installation and removed SRS temporarily. Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious.

I'm just now configuring the new VOIP as I'm worried some servers might begin to migrate away from SRS. I've been using a Razer Ifrit headset for a few years now with no issues.

Regarding the dxdiag and all of the audio devices, I use Voicemeter Potato as follows: Razer Mic -> Voicemeter -> (any game/software). The new VoiceChat is the only program I've noticed that doesn't work properly. All other software/games I run operate normally with my setup, including SRS. I tested disabling Voicemeter and setting my DCS mic as the Razer device but the issue persists.

Thank you for your time!

dcs.log DxDiag.txt

• 2 weeks later...

just updated to latest open beta.  Appreciate the indicator in the server list.  Still a nightmare buzzing noise when trying to test the mic.  Well, at first I hear nothing when I click test mic.  Just see the slider wiggling back and forth.  Go into individual radio options and click test in the sound effects and get an awful sound.

Again, it's not my mic since it works in other apps just fine.  Somehow the game just doesn't like this old USB webcam that I use for face tracking and have used as a mic for gaming for ages.

• 2 months later...

My experience:

The in-game interface is great. Having HOTAS controls work for the in-game VOIP radio is a cool idea. In-game server implementation makes it easy to enable. In practice, though, I have not yet been able to enjoy this feature because the game does not detect my microphone because I’m using a PCIe sound card, and it works fine with everything else. No fixes, yet, from the dev team. Seems like 87% of DCS players also experienced technical issues getting it to work according to the poll. 😞

Update 03/19: After finally figuring out a workaround, I was able to use in-game voice chat on multiplayer this weekend. It worked great. I especially like the line of sight modeling and integration with the cockpit as well as the overall sound. My only complaint is that the audio engine in DCS should do a better job of capturing microphone input and playing it on the same audio source as the game audio. I shouldn't have to use a workaround with Nvidia broadcast. I'd prefer to have everything mixed in my headset instead of needing to use two different audio sources. Also, it appears that DCS doesn't like detecting audio input exceeding 48kHz, and my sound card supports up to 96kHz. 

Edited by SignorMagnifico
I got VOIP to work.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims