Bomb Laser code interface blues...

cavalier889

This is a transectional to another topic, but it doesn't have my wish in it exactly....

You must picture the scene: Shiny New Fighter *gleam*, Tall sexy aviator with a suitably curled manly mustachio fiercely presented, as if to dare the worst of the world...

He climbs into is modern death machine, and then turns to the Chief: Good morning my fine fellow! I'm going to need laser codes for my shiny pointy scary laser guided rockets, you know?

*uh- sniff - ya guy, ya want wot?

I need you to put my special 4 digit number in these here shooters, right?

*Hach, dribble- right, uh, I got a form here. Write ur PIElon right there, and give it back. Yeah, like that.

*he dribbles at my fine aviator, no further action. Hm*

May I tell you the number now?

*uh, shure guy, gotta form for that here too...

THERE"S ONLY SPACE FOR ONE NUMERAL!!!!

*well, hu ya, that's right guy, the 1000s go there.

Fine! Here (a tripple reinforced 1 is scratched into the paper)

*k...

(just stands there)

Now what!?

*C'mon guy, you're not dumb, I need the form with the 100s

(Major Fantacy pulls his DE 50 from an improbable orifice and ends the transactions)

If the above reminds anyone of the way we have to set laser codes on runway rearm, and if you have laughed, we surely may come up with a somewhat less cumbersome proceedure. I mean, hell, I didn't wanna do that- I've always liked that chief.

Whaddya say Miracle workers at Deka Ironworks?biggrin.gif

This is a transectional to another topic, but it doesn't have my wish in it exactly....

You must picture the scene: Shiny New Fighter *gleam*, Tall sexy aviator with a suitably curled manly mustachio fiercely presented, as if to dare the worst of the world...

He climbs into is modern death machine, and then turns to the Chief: Good morning my fine fellow! I'm going to need laser codes for my shiny pointy scary laser guided rockets, you know?

*uh- sniff - ya guy, ya want wot?

I need you to put my special 4 digit number in these here shooters, right?

*Hach, dribble- right, uh, I got a form here. Write ur PIElon right there, and give it back. Yeah, like that.

*he dribbles at my fine aviator, no further action. Hm*

May I tell you the number now?

*uh, shure guy, gotta form for that here too...

THERE"S ONLY SPACE FOR ONE NUMERAL!!!!

*well, hu ya, that's right guy, the 1000s go there.

Fine! Here (a tripple reinforced 1 is scratched into the paper)

*k...

(just stands there)

Now what!?

*C'mon guy, you're not dumb, I need the form with the 100s

(Major Fantacy pulls his DE 50 from an improbable orifice and ends the transactions)

If the above reminds anyone of the way we have to set laser codes on runway rearm, and if you have laughed, we surely may come up with a somewhat less cumbersome proceedure. I mean, hell, I didn't wanna do that- I've always liked that chief.

Whaddya say Miracle workers at Deka Ironworks?biggrin.gif

Ehm, the reality is like this: Fierce pilot enters Briefing room, gets a pack of paper for his kneeboard telling him what the laser codes on his bombs and rockets are, how and where to employ the stuff and where he should fly and where not. He gets told all this by his "boss" and usually leaves with a "Yes, Sir!" and enters the info into the data cartridge when finalizing the details together with the rest of his flight.

Even if the crew chief wanted to change the codes, it is something you need the ordnance team for, and I am quite sure you need to unload the rockets to do that. Bombs may be reachable, but to my knowledge this is all assembled, set and adjusted by the ordnance team way before the weapons are loaded.

So we should be happy to have the option to very quickly (!) change the codes, anyway. ;)

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Fundamentally, the problem is rather that the guys who should be changing their codes — JTAC — aren't able to do so because they're designed for a scripted training scenario that's more about going through nine-lines than actually properly engaging with ground targets. It's far more of an AI/scripting issue than anything to do with the aircraft modules and their weapons.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Fundamentally, the problem is rather that the guys who should be changing their codes — JTAC — aren't able to do so because they're designed for a scripted training scenario that's more about going through nine-lines than actually properly engaging with ground targets. It's far more of an AI/scripting issue than anything to do with the aircraft modules and their weapons.

Bingo... The pilot tells the JTAC what code to use IRL at least. But for whatever in DCS its all back-asswards.

As for changing the rocket pod, I wonder if it can be set electronically somehow vs the old screwdriver method on GBU series.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Can the BRM1 codes be changed at all in game?

Not that I've seen, but I didn't exactly look very hard.

I think they're settable in the mission editor but not in the aircraft once loaded.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."