gamma setting, night is not night for everyone...

fitness88

When flying with others in a night mission, the gamma setting is allowing for everyone to have different degrees of darkness.

Is there a way to force calibrate everyone to see the same degree of darkness to keep things realistically fair?

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

There is no (feasible) way to control other people's physical displays.

And I suppose if the mission called for a gamma setting of 1.7...everyone's 1.7 would look different anyway.

I like it to be dark at the appropriate time and dusk to be dusk. I look at the mission clock and adjust to what I think it should look like...gotta be a better way.

When flying with others in a night mission, the gamma setting is allowing for everyone to have different degrees of darkness.

Is there a way to force calibrate everyone to see the same degree of darkness to keep things realistically fair?

Thank you.

We have different equipment. Screens, VR, Graphiccards, personal glasses and so on.

Just adjust it to your advantage, no faul play there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the realism/enjoyment boundary is different for everybody. For some, there can't be enough realism. For others, even taking off from the runway is too much to ask. Adding an element of difficulty to your mission that can easily be circumvented through outside means is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gamers increasing gamma to maximize visibility has been a problem for many years. I first saw it in the original DayZ mod for Arma 2, but I'm sure it goes back further with twitch shooters like Counterstrike or Quake.

dcs_sig.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that the realism/enjoyment boundary is different for everybody. For some, there can't be enough realism. For others, even taking off from the runway is too much to ask. Adding an element of difficulty to your mission that can easily be circumvented through outside means is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gamers increasing gamma to maximize visibility has been a problem for many years. I first saw it in the original DayZ mod for Arma 2, but I'm sure it goes back further with twitch shooters like Counterstrike or Quake.

Well said:thumbup:

Its called "calibrating monitors" what ensures everybodys got the same and accurate image, but its something DCS users are resisting at any cost.

Read the dozen of A-10C dark cockpit threads for lulz.

This isn't about monitor calibration, it's about using/abusing high gamma values to gain an advantage in low-light settings.

dcs_sig.jpg

@fitness88 Believe me, the max gamma of 3.5 is enough dark when you try to land at night to an unlit runway in Caucasus, unlit because of DCS 2.5.0 inherited MP incompleteness (bug https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201610)

If you miss to spot the runway threshold markings, landing is impossible.

Cockpit displays of Su-25T are almost unreadable at 3.5 gamma, very rude.

Visibility only improve slightly in external view.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

This isn't about monitor calibration, it's about using/abusing high gamma values to gain an advantage in low-light settings.

I agree with you that's why I posted, not appreciating the technical difficulties some may have with midnight darkness. I fly F-18 in VR and am comfortable with midnight darkness.