Odessey or Odessey+?

BallsOFire

I am about to purchase a Samsung Odessey+, but the main difference between this WMR headset and the previous version is that this one has some kind of "anti screen door" display tech that makes everything a little softer/blurrier. I'm afraid it might mask aircraft at long range like when they are single pixels. Has anyone had experience with the Odessey+ vs the earlier Odessey?

I have to stick with the Odessey because my IPD is 71, the Acer WMR headset I bought won't work for me. Anyone want an Acer cheap? lol

Thanks.

I5, GTX1060, TM Warthog A-10C Flightstick, TM TWCS, Odyssey+ WMR

I have both. The O is a narrower fit. My hat size is 7-3/8. I made a larger face pad to better fit my head and move the lenses closer to my face allowing a larger FOV. There are face pads you can buy but I can’t comment on their comfort or practicality.

The O+ is a wider fit but I found the headband was on the tight side. It also had a hard ridge that dig into my skull. The face pad also had a hard plastic piece in it that dug into my brow ridge. Both were unbearably painful to the point I was going to return it after trying it a couple of days. I opted to mod the headset a little bit. Fixed both concerns and can wear the headset for hours at a time without even getting red marks on my face. I have read that there are aftermarket face pads for the O+ as well.

The screens are equally bright with vibrant colors and black blacks. I’ve tried LCD screens but OLED to LCD is like VR to pancake.

The O has some screen door where the O+ has no screen door but is “softer” in appearance. Kind of like in old movies when they would use gauze over the lens to make the female lead look softer and prettier. Spotting in both is about the same. I think I remember the O+ being better though. I’ll check tomorrow when I’m at my rig.

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

The O+ is much better. It had been a while since I used the O but man what a step up from the O the O+ is. After 5 minutes with the O I had to unplug it and plug back in the O+.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Either is a compromise, the O has better sharpness, the O+ has no screen door, I found them uncomfortable to wear, even with the aftermarket vrcover, I found it pressed to heavy on my brow and eyes, and had to add extra foam core above the eye pieces. YMMV.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went for the Odyssey+. Found one on Ebay for $250 including shipping. I can't wait to get a headset that I can actually use with both eyes, lol! Now the waiting begins.

I5, GTX1060, TM Warthog A-10C Flightstick, TM TWCS, Odyssey+ WMR