APU Gauges

Ratgnagna

Thanks, so what systems limitations are there when you loose the left or right bus?

Thanks

Mug

APU itself provides only pheumatic power. To get hydraulics and generators running without main engines started, APU bleed air is fed to the dedicated 'turbodrive'. This device can be run only on ground, and needs some assistance from ground personell to be started (is mechanically switched in one of access doors, and then started from the cockpit).

On the electrical schematic, we can see the POS-500B converter system. This box transform the batteries diret current, to AC current, and energized AC Left/right reserv BUS. Probably activate in emergency via control relay below reserv bus. Primary instrument, flight control and VHF are maybe energized in case of emergency. Cofee maker too, lol ^^

Sorry for my poor english... :helpsmilie:

Bye! ;)

• 2 months later...

I know I am bringing up an old thread. My apologies.

Anyway, the gauge under the red and white handle appears to be the air pressure gauge that measures the pressure of the bleed air from the APU to the engine starters. The required pressure for engine start depends on temperature and pressure of the outside air, but a good starting figure is 1.2kgf/sq.cm.

The engines have air starters built into them, so that they are started by bleed air from the APU. No ground equipment is necessary for engine start. The APU (AI-9V) has a starter/generator on it. Battery power is supplied in starter mode to start the APU electrically. Once it's running, it acts as a generator (28V DC) when you switch on the "backup generator" switch and recharges the batteries and powers the DC bus and AC inverters (for AC power without the main generators running). Once the engines are running and the main generators are on line, the APU is turned off. The APU can only be run for 30 minutes at a time followed by a minimum of 15 minutes of cool down time.

gauge3de7.png

Gauge Below the red and white handle

Anyway, the gauge under the red and white handle appears to be the air pressure gauge that measures the pressure of the bleed air from the APU to the engine starters.

Incorrect. This is the 28V DC voltage indicator. There's no bleed air pressure indicator in the Ka-50 (neither in any other Kamov helicopter).

The engines have air starters built into them, so that they are started by bleed air from the APU. No ground equipment is necessary for engine start. The APU (AI-9V) has a starter/generator on it. Battery power is supplied in starter mode to start the APU electrically. Once it's running, it acts as a generator (28V DC) when you switch on the "backup generator" switch and recharges the batteries and powers the DC bus and AC inverters (for AC power without the main generators running). Once the engines are running and the main generators are on line, the APU is turned off. The APU can only be run for 30 minutes at a time followed by a minimum of 15 minutes of cool down time.

That's correct but only for Mil helicopters. You should also mention that the STG-3 starter-generator can't be used in generator mode while you bleed air for main engine start.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Incorrect. This is the 28V DC voltage indicator. There's no bleed air pressure indicator in the Ka-50 (neither in any other Kamov helicopter).

Thank you for the clarification. There are so many similarities between Kamov and Mil birds that I sometimes start thinking that everything is the same! :)

That's correct but only for Mil helicopters. You should also mention that the STG-3 starter-generator can't be used in generator mode while you bleed air for main engine start.

Again, thank you for straightening me out. I have had a pilot leave the backup generator on when starting the engine. It blew a current limiter and that was the end of that flight. ;)

Tell me about it... Last month I was working in the mountains where we lifted some heavy loads up high for a ski lift and every time we were coming for landing about 5m from the ground when aligning the rope the helicopter (Ka-32) was making sudden banking left and right. The pilot started complaining WTF is going on with that autopilot and me and the avionics technician started to investigate but we didn't find anything wrong, except one not well tighten electrical coupling on the RS-60 servoactuators. Then I asked the pilot to make a test and it did the shaking again but this time I was right behind the pilots and found the reason- a green light (LOAD STAB) on the overhead panel indicating that the automatic load stabilisation mode of the autopilot is enabled (from a switch on the collective). It uses the signal of the rope position sensors and generates automatic control inputs to compensate the swing of the rope. When we fly with loads and rope stands vertical it causes no problems but at landing when the rope starts rocking left-reight the autopilot generates opposite inputs completely independant from pilot's inputs. So I told him- Turn off the damn load stabilization mode and the problem was gone.

So this is how it goes IRL, quiet often the 'control device'(read pilot :D) fails some perfectly working systems...

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Some time is hard to work with control stick actuators (A.K.A Pilots):D

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Some pilot stories from my co-workers I'm ashamed to say: (All B737-200)

Whilst testing the window heat, one light would not come on. Light test showed it was fine, so the Captain thought 'No problem, I'll just do the overheat test to force it on', not realising that this applies full power to the window immediately, without the normal ramp-up time. Full window heat to a cold window = *CRACK!* Doh! There goes a few $.

The F/O on another flight was doing the trim lock test (when you try and trim in the opposite direction to the direction the flight controls are applied in, a mechanical lock stops movement of the trim wheel, normally with a bit of a bang), and the trim would immediately lock up. This seemed like a major fault to them, so they got the pax, catering, baggage etc off the plane, and changed to a different aircraft. Little did they realise (until the engineer made it painfully clear to them) that they hadn't turned the B system hydraulic pumps on yet, hence no pressure to the flight controls, and the yoke was just slight forward of neutral. Hence the lockup whenever they tested nose up trim. Doh!

So far I've managed to avoid embarrassing myself too badly...