Rift S Pixel Density

kraszus

So, just upgraded from CV1 to Rift S and seem to remember reading somewhere that Rift S Pixel Density doesn't need to be as high as CV1's due to it architecture. Have I misread this somewhere or it it correct? If correct, what setting would be equivalent to 1.5 PD on CV1?

So, just upgraded from CV1 to Rift S and seem to remember reading somewhere that Rift S Pixel Density doesn't need to be as high as CV1's due to it architecture. Have I misread this somewhere or it it correct? If correct, what setting would be equivalent to 1.5 PD on CV1?

Rift S has higher native resolution than Rift CV1, so technically should not need as much.

However due to the Rift S being 80 Hz rather than 90 Hz like the CV1, performance remains about the same so feel free to try what you were using before.

I run a little less than I did in CV1 myself - I am running 1.2 PD with my Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah, the higher the real resolution is, the less super sampling (Pixel density) you need to make things look better. The Reverb for example runs 2048x2048/screen and generally doesn't need any real increases in super sampling to look good enough. IIRC the CV1 vs RiftS is a 20% res increase for real pixels. Plus a 33% increase in sub-pixels (which helps alot).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).