Thoughts on the Volair Sim cockpit

Notso

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but what are the community's thoughts on the Volair sim cockpit? Good, bad or indifferent? Its pricey, but it seems to have all the things in the right places to mount TM HOTAS and such.

My requirement is for a ready made VR cockpit that I can mount my Warthog Stick, throttle, rudder pedals and the Cougar MFDs to in the correct ergonomic location. I'm not at all concerned with the mounts for large screen monitors since I will be 100% VR.

Short of building my own (which I don't even come close to having the time for) - is this a good set up or are there better alternatives? thanks in advance.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I went with the Speedmaster Flight seat from Germany and it wasn’t cheap because at the time I wanted a rear seat without the front cage and I read here a review from someone here. But now I’ve got it all together at max range for some pieces. I mounted it to a piece of 3/4 plywood with 2/4 risers around the edge for elevation I had a very hard time getting out of it before the platform. Much easier now.

My thoughts on any hobby purchase is can I afford it, will I use it, will it help with my emmersion .

If the answer is yes then I proceed, I wanted to buy the seatbelts from the manufacturer but shipping was more than the actual cost of the belts I looked on goggle and can get real belts 4 and 5 point cheaper but I haven’t decided on which yet because I’m looking at the mounting setup.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I went with the Speedmaster Flight seat from Germany and it wasn’t cheap because at the time I wanted a rear seat without the front cage and I read here a review from someone here. But now I’ve got it all together at max range for some pieces. I mounted it to a piece of 3/4 plywood with 2/4 risers around the edge for elevation I had a very hard time getting out of it before the platform. Much easier now.

My thoughts on any hobby purchase is can I afford it, will I use it, will it help with my emmersion .

If the answer is yes then I proceed, I wanted to buy the seatbelts from the manufacturer but shipping was more than the actual cost of the belts I looked on goggle and can get real belts 4 and 5 point cheaper but I haven’t decided on which yet because I’m looking at the mounting setup.

Cool. Do you have a pic of your seat?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I choosed the RSEAT S1 w/ Flight mount upgrade kit. Pricey as well, but outstanding quality. The only issue for you would be mounting the TM MFDs, as this would require a DIY solution. I´m still struggling with the MFDs and thinking about using the Monstertech MFD mounts and customize them to fit my rig

915200315_SimRig1.thumb.JPG.01ba1d31d91f8dbad4f5b6a304d79333.JPG

1850070025_SimRig2.thumb.JPG.781d574b86b247f62609c8030e183179.JPG

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I do but not that great of one let me try and get one once everything is sorta fix. It’s needing some attention right now

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I choosed the RSEAT S1 w/ Flight mount upgrade kit. Pricey as well, but outstanding quality. The only issue for you would be mounting the TM MFDs, as this would require a DIY solution. I´m still struggling with the MFDs and thinking about using the Monstertech MFD mounts and customize them to fit my rig

That's really cool! I'll look into that.

And I've been struggling to decide if to go for the stick extension like you have for the Hornet and A-10 modules or just stick to flying the F-16 and keeping a side stick mount. Do the extensions make a big difference for feel? I assume it's a bit more precise.

I do but not that great of one let me try and get one once everything is sorta fix. It’s needing some attention right now

Thanks, no rush.

When i installed the extended center stick few weeks ago, i had to get used to it as it feels somehow different due to the higher deflection. I´m playing flight sims since 1994 and i´ve always used sidestick config, so the position of the stick also made a difference in how it feels. Especially with AAR it made a big difference to get comfortable with it. After a few weeks now i find it to be more precise, although i set the axis at 50% deflection (a space issue). I also had to install a stronger spring (i choosed Sahaj´s blue spring, but the red would propably work as well), as the standard spring didn´t recenter anymore and i´m not flying helicopters.

what I will never understand is why guys put a pile of money in a simpit to have the best immersion and then they use race car seat.

1. This rig has a standard FIA 290 mount. Means, standard FIA seats will fit, w/o modifications most jet seats will not.

2. Doing sim racing as well. At least sometimes with RL friends on a private server.

3. I have massive problems with my backbone. On a office chair, as well as on a jet seat (tried it) i get horrible pain in my back after 30 minutes. Racing seats are 10 times more comfortable IMO and i can do 2 or 3 hour missions/races without getting the slightes pain in my backbone. I´m looking for as much immersion as possible, true, but i rate playing without massive pain higher than the tiny little extra immersion a jet seat would provide. Understand now?

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2