Uuuuaaaah..! I have started building now..!

Triggerhappy69

Trigger, do you ever communicate with Leo Bodnar (other than buying boards from him)? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he did some super wham-o-dyne FFB steering wheel project. Maybe he has some alpha or beta version FFB boards that he'd love to use you as a guinea pig on! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trigger, do you ever communicate with Leo Bodnar (other than buying boards from him)? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he did some super wham-o-dyne FFB steering wheel project. Maybe he has some alpha or beta version FFB boards that he'd love to use you as a guinea pig on! ;)

Actually I have contacted Leo Bodnar twice regarding he's FFB controller card project. First time I tried (being really diplomatic and cloaking my cunning plan) to hint that I had to get my hands on one of he's cards or I would surely die..!

... And not surprisingly he chose to disregard my hints, and answered all my other questions instead..

Patiently I waited for a second chance to pursue my dream, And after a while the day finally came. And being a lot wiser I just asked him straight out if I could PLEASE aquire he's controller card..

I'm still waiting for he's answer..

there is no moral to this story.. But I know that he must be getting bored of all the morons like me nagging about the FFB controller.. I remeber reading somewhere that the project was unfinished. And I hope he'll let us know when it is..:thumbup:

... It's not that he's unproductive at least..! The guy is just brilliant.!

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, I guess he prefers to be his own guinea pig. Either that, or he just doesn't like you. :P

He is indeed a very smart fellow! Except for the 'trying the hint' thing the first time around, you're not too shabby yourself. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I'm not tellin' !!! :blush:

.... sigh.....

I leave my thread for a couple of hours to visit some friends, and come home to THIS...! :megalol: LMAO

Ps. If your not telling, then I sure as H*LL will just make like an oyster and .....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pitbuilding Update - 24 July 2009 - Framing the ABRIS

Today even I am satisfied with the outcome of tonights work..:thumbup:

It's quite nice to see what you can do with a hacksaw, Dremel with a edge-router kit, and a lot of patience..

abrisframe010.jpg

abrisframe013.jpg

abrisframe015.jpg

I will make place for the screwheads behind the ABRIS Front tomorrow. And I'll be attaching the rotaries and buttons to..!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pitbuilding Update - 24 July 2009 - ABRIS testing in temp pit

I know.. I really should have gone to bed instead! But I have the day of tomorrow, and I just HAD TO try out the multi monitor settings and see my ABRIS in action..!

So I hastingly threw everything together and hooked it up. And after about two hours of reading up on how the LUA script should be I got it right.. Actually I got it right the first time I fired DCS up..! Yahoo!

I am running the Center monitor at 1440x900, and the ABRIS at 768x1024 resolution (the ABRIS is a 1024x768 that is projectet in portrait instead of landscape..)!

In the pics I am using the old Front Pedestal still.. The new one is disassembled for painting.

abristest003.jpg

abristest009.jpg

.. you can see a hint of the ABRIS screen if you look closely.. The camera flash took most of the colors away in these pictures :cry:

But almost the same angles, this time without flash! And you see the ABRIS...

abristest015.jpg

abristest007.jpg

:pilotfly:.. This is a milestone for me..! Finally my cockpit has come to life..!

And I have to say that flying with the ABRIS like this DO bring a whole new sense of being immersed in the simulator..!

.. well.. now it's off to bed..:smilewink:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you guys..! Really..! Thank you..!

I'll be honest and tell you that whenever I stumble into a problem in the building process that I just can't seem to figure out a solution to.? I just go back and read comments like yours right now..!

And it ALWAYS works..! Either as motivation or as a sence of responsabilty towards you guys for solving evbery problems within the frames I have set for myself.. It has to be able to fabricate with basic tools and matereal available to "everyone" (I know I might have streched the consept of ""available to everyone" a bit far at times) LoL..

And every so often I wake up a bit on the "low" side of inspiration. Like I did today.. ... ... ... well, it's safe to say that you have completly changed my perception of the remaining hours of this day..! c",):thumbup:

And John..? It's not fair to make a grown man almost 'wanna break into tears like that..He He.. thank you..

(.. now let me just pick my masculine self image up from the wastbin again, and I'll post an update.. More ABRIS I'm afraid..:doh:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pitbuilding Update - 25 July 2009 - ABRIS. Why have'th thou so much to solder?

I know.. I shouldn't complain about this. And I have spent hour wondering why my releation towards soldering has gone down the drain lately..? And now I know why..!

I blame instructional (seemingly well meaning) videos on the subject oif soldering..! I do!

Are you baffled now?! Wondering what the H*LL I'm talking about? Well it's like this. Or at least it's like this FOR ME..? Or it like this for me THESE LAST MONTHS..!

I really like the "show and tell" side to this thread.. I like showing of the things I make, mainly because I' as self centered as the next guy, and this is the first cockpit I have buildt..

I like sharing the thought prosess leading up to fabricating every piece. Because I know that when we stick our heads together the total sum of competance and knowlege is HUGE..! And I really need you guys to cry STOP every time I start charging down a dead end street.. It's humiliating to suddenly be in a position where you see that your previous actions are not exactly a compliment to your own (highly self-exagerated) intelligence.!

With the risk of sounding like the son (make that grandson) og Karl Marx. There's just something fascinating and kinda' warm in this seeing a group of people with almost absolutly nothing in common pull together like that..!?

And as such I want the end result to be worthy of your efforts.. This works when it comes to soldering to..!

You see, I just to think myself a descent solderer before.. I had no clue why I used flux, or why I had different soldering tips. And I had ABSOLUTLY no idea about the chemistry of the heat distribution and stuff.. I just wanted the thing to "stay there", if you know what I mean?

And then came youtube..

And after that I posted the fist oficial picture of my soldering, and got a coment on how good it looked..!? (actually AlexRC I think that was YOU..! you WILL pay for this later.. LMAO:smilewink:)

And now, being curious by nature, naturally I wanted my soldering to look good always! Inside I could even feel a hope of progression within the art of soldering waking up.. So I did what I normally do, I started educating myself..! I just always need to know WHY..!

And now it's all gone to crap....

I'm a guy right.. Well I am for you who don't know what I look like. Either that or I'm a butt ugly woman..!

Being a guy, nature has suplied me with a non-multitasking brain.. If you don't know what I mean or disagree, go talk to your wife/girlfriend and ask her..!

It's physically draining for me to drive, chew a brand new flavour gum AND pay attention to my girlfriend talking about the ant of a friend of her cousin's pre-menstrual experinces.. It's just to much..!

I miss soldering before I had to make every solderjoint "flow out into a volcano shape joint"..?

Now I have at least 6 different soldering tips. I have flux AND paste! All of a sudden it has become clear to me that life without soldering wire is just not worth living anymore..! And you would laugh your head of if you know how many different types of tip-cleaning remedies that has been tested, only to be found inadequate.. It's just to much..! :smilewink:

.... and my solderng has not exectly imroved either.. And there's a lot of it in the near future, i've been told.. :doh:

MORE ON THE ABRIS

I took everything apart for the fitting of rotary encoders and buttons. and shaping the opening in the aluminum panel to fit the front bezel.. (and I admitt to have forgot to drill two of the holes to:doh:)

At the same time I used my exacto knife on a piece of foam mat to make a foam edge where the LCD meets the aluminum panel.

abristest016.jpg

abristest017.jpg

Here you see it with the LCD in place:

abristest022.jpg

Eeeeh..? EEEH..? It came out ok if you ask me.. The corners had to be strengthened with some pieces of plastic sheet.. I just just sanded them into shape and glued them into place with ZAP glue..!

And you see the wires that connect the ABRIS controls.

abristest018.jpg

abristest023.jpg

abristest025.jpg

I wanted to be able to unplug the control panel at this end to, so I soldered in a 25 pin plug. It must have taken me 3 hours this.. Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

abristest030.jpg

All the wires will be shortened down and curve ito the panel from behind, not outof the panel and into the pilots knee-cap like in the picture..:smartass:

And I'll have to come up with an idea of where to hide the controls for the LCD.. Maybe I'll operate it through 2mm holes on the front panels leftside? Or hide the buttons behind a hidden panel somewhere else? Ideas anyone?

abristest020.jpg

abristest028.jpg

Microswitces will give the ABRIS a clear "click" sound when activated.. I actually chose these for the sound and feel alone.. Since they are SMD's and not through-hole like all my other components.

abristest027.jpg

.. maybe I'll have a chance to test it in funcion later.. If so I'll upload a video to youtube..

Cya L8r M8's

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Trigger, that ABRIS looks awesome! Really great to see all of your work come together, bud :D

I'm almost as excited as you get all that stuff coming together.

Keep it coming! :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

That is going to be my next project. Making all my connections into plugs, so that I can swap out to other pannels for other aircraft. Plug and play baby

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

"pay attention to my girlfriend talking about the ant of a friend of her cousin's pre-menstrual experinces.."

Trust me trigger, thats a filter all men have, it got nothing to do with multitasking, not even "a quere eye for a straight guy/ Fab five" can fix that. ;)

:o

have ye never heard of ribbon cable!!! :)

I thought I'd do an experiment with single cables just to see if there was a benefit from using them, oposed to the ribbon cable?

And I have to admitt that not only does it look a whole lot better, and is much easyer to modify. But it also looks a whole lot better..

.. did I mention it looks better..?

:cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]