camera jiggle

colubridae

I have another small request.

As I said before I really get my jollies from making videos (usually to heavy rock)....

One of the best features for realism is 'camera jiggle' (shift-j)...

However when used at very low angles-of-view (i.e. high levels of telephoto)

the image becomes unwatchable - too jiggly... (I realise that this is what would happen IRL but...) my request is can we have some means of 'turning the jiggle down' down at high levels of telephoto (or indeed turning it up for wide angles of view - thereby creating strong feelings of turbulence.)

Ideally adjsuting the 'jiggle' independantly of angle of view.

Hoping strongly

COL

• ED Team

I believe there are a few workarounds...

1 - Create the jiggle yourself with a movie program (vegas, premiere pro, after effects, etc...).

2 - i *think* there is a way to edit how the jiggle works. You can manipulate it in a few ways, like how much it jiggles, how fast, and how far it moves, etc... I am not sure which file you need to edit though...

I have never tested this myself, but i *think* it's possible, please correct me if i am wrong..

• ED Team

You can adjust or even rewrite the jiggle quasi-random time function.

the file is *******\Config\View\View.lua

It's easy to find it there.

-- CameraJiggle() and CameraFloat() functions make camera position

-- dependent on FPS so be careful in using the Shift-J command with tracks, please.

function CameraJiggle(t)

local rotX, rotY, rotZ

rotX = 0.05 * math.random() * math.sin(37.0 * (t - 0.0))

rotY = 0.05 * math.random() * math.sin(41.0 * (t - 1.0))

rotZ = 0.05 * math.random() * math.sin(53.0 * (t - 2.0))

return rotX, rotY, rotZ

end

IN general it's a sum of sine waves with not multiple frequences and random magnitudes.

0.05 's are the coefficients that determine the total amount of the effect and they are the most convenient to tune.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

You can adjust or even rewrite the jiggle quasi-random time function.

the file is *******\Config\View\View.lua

It's easy to find it there.

-- CameraJiggle() and CameraFloat() functions make camera position

-- dependent on FPS so be careful in using the Shift-J command with tracks, please.

function CameraJiggle(t)

local rotX, rotY, rotZ

rotX = 0.05 * math.random() * math.sin(37.0 * (t - 0.0))

rotY = 0.05 * math.random() * math.sin(41.0 * (t - 1.0))

rotZ = 0.05 * math.random() * math.sin(53.0 * (t - 2.0))

return rotX, rotY, rotZ

end

IN general it's a sum of sine waves with not multiple frequences and random magnitudes.

0.05 's are the coefficients that determine the total amount of the effect and they are the most convenient to tune.

FYI, I have played with this a while back and tweaked it to my liking. I think you can Alt-Tab out of the game and tweak it, then click fly to test it. Then Esc and go back to the Mission Editor. You don't have to exit the game to test this IIRC.

-- rotX = Shakes the 'twist' of the camera. Like you are twisting your head to the right and left.

-- rotY = Shakes the camera right and left.

-- rotZ = Shakes the camera up and down.

To tweak it, I just changed the first number (0.05) in each formula. This is what I use:

function CameraJiggle(t)

local rotX, rotY, rotZ

rotX = 0.08 * math.random() * math.sin(37.0 * (t - 0.0))

rotY = 0.10 * math.random() * math.sin(41.0 * (t - 1.0))

rotZ = 0.04 * math.random() * math.sin(53.0 * (t - 2.0))

return rotX, rotY, rotZ

end

I have had a chance to try.

It works as predicted.

a couple of points I found

1. the amplitude was not the problem. the jiggle at high telephoto values was due to the frequency of the sine waves. When I turned the frequencies down it worked fine at high telephoto values.

2. As expected at low telephotos values the jiggle became noticeably 'sluggish'. So it will need tewaking each time for making recordings

3. I actually tried fractional values for the frequencies (i.e. 1.2, 1.3 etc). This produced some very stange effects, they disappeared when i returned to integer values for the frequencies. This may be a syntactical problem with the language used for interpreting LUA text. This i am unsure of.

anyway may thanks yo-yo and wild bill rep inbound

regards col

• ED Team

The amplitude and frequency of sine wave both determine your telephoto effect because the sight angular velocity (derivative) has both amplitude and freq muliplied as a coefficient.

The camera position as a position of any world body is determined by setting 3 coordinates and 3 angles. Camera jiggle is a small q-random delta to these 3 angles and camera float is the same to the position. The frequencies for the float is much lower because the body presumed an arcraft is much more inertial than the camera on a mount or in operator's hand.

I don't know what the problem could be with fractional frequencies (maybe you mean TIME SHIFT near t parametre) but it perfectly works in CAMERA FLOAT.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks again for your promt advice.

I think the strange effects I referred to are my usage of the lua text.

(I don't actually know what LUA is or how it works)

It is probable that i mis-typed my change to the view.lua file, when i found the strange effects I panicked and deleted my changes. so i'm not sure what I actually typed.

I am very pleased with the tweaking results and will have a go at changing the 'float' parameters.

again many thanks

col