Dedicated server keeps reverting to manual start

Hi,

I cannot get a mission to automatically start with dedicated. The three options of Resume Manual, Resume with clients and resume on load keep reverting to "Resume Manual"

I tried changing the ["resume_mode"] setting in serverSettings and even if I set another number, if I open the WebGui it shows incorrectly at resume manual. Then if I change the number via the GUI, press save, it reverts back to manual again.

How can I autostart a mission when the Dedicated server first runs? Is there another hack?

Also - I can connect a webGui even without using the --WebGui startup parameter. Which is weird.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hi Pikes :)

Your server settings is reverting back to its default and not saving your changes.

I would first start with solving the problem accessing the WebGui. Check firewall, port is available, not blocked or being used by another app, etc etc and define it with an autoexec.cfg file in the config folder.

Next I would check the properties of the shortcut launching DCS.exe; ensure that it is launching as an administrator (ensure the app can write to the server settings file). Another problem may be that the user that is launching DCS does not have enough rights.

Once you have that solved the settings you save in the WebGui will write to the file serverSettings.lua and that should solve the issue.

In the serverSettings.lua, under cfg I am also using the line

["current"] = 1,

which instructs which mission # to start on load.

Cheers!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Hi ViFF, thanks for reaching out.

This didnt help, I could use ServerSettings from a working autoload server and it still didnt work, but I'll write everything down that I had to do to fix it.

Firstly, I reinstalled DCS Server to the C:\ drive, it was on E:\

First ran with --server --norender stalled because it had no mission which was expected. The serverSettings was created with one line

cfg={advanced={resume_mode=1}}

I created the mission folder, dropped in a mission and opened the webgui to add this to the list.

serverSettings.lua was then generated more in full

I closed the server app and edited the serverSettings with a few things like name, port, description, but touched nothing else.

I ran the server again, it fully went into the mission first time.

Conclusions: would be guessing. I had no 3rd party mods, clean profile, clean install and config.

The logs were certainly different. from comparisons it was like the original server couldnt find the mission. However it was there with the correct UNC path. I suspect some NTFS shenanigans with the two seperate drives and the web server being locked down, but I cannot prove it.

Thanks for offering to help again my friend!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 10 months later...

This is happening to a small and private server that we're hosting. I have just tried moving the server from the E to C drive, also suspecting the same permission issues, but this hasn't done the trick for us - the server is constantly reverting to Resume Manual which is a massive pain point for any players who don't have permission to start a mission. Has anybody else identified a potential fix?

Edited by ColinM9991

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This was happening before and I thought I'd resolved the issue, but it's started happening again in the last few days.

I find that serverSettings.lua always has ["resume_mode"] = 2 and the web interface displays "resume manual". No matter what I change it to in the GUI, or change it to in serverSettings.lua, the server always goes offline after the mission comes to an end.

Even if I change the option in the web GUI, it's back to "resume manual" immediately.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This may be useful to others: I used to launch my dedicated server at startup, before user login. Since installing SRS, I've had to log in a user since SRS is a WPF application. I haven't experienced this manual start issue since switching to launch after login.

• 1 month later...

what I observed:
Whenever you open the advanced settings information panel the wrong value for Resume/Pause is loaded and does not represent the correct value that is configured in the settings file at that given time. However if you now save the advanced settings the value, that is show at the moment pressing save, is indeed the correct value written to the settings file. So when you just look at the settings and cancel — ignore it.
But if you want to change anything in the advanced settings, never forget to click the correct resume behaviour as well or it will be overwritten!

[ ]  twitch.tv/eld0r — Chaos, dumme Sprüche, Chaos und keine Wiederholungen.  [ ]

This has started happening again for me, UI keeps reverting to "resume manual", and even though it's still set in serverSettings.lua the server goes offline when a mission completes. Extremely frustrating.

Edited by Camble

2 hours ago, Camble said:

(...) the server goes offline when a mission completes. Extremely frustrating.

but what you mean is Loop, innit?
Check the Loop switch. Once the mission is over it loops back to the first mission in the list.
(also works if there is only one mission in the list - it will just reload that same mission)

image.png

I only use "Resume with clients". It works as intended, it's saved correctly and server runs only with clients.
Last time I checked "Resume on load" that worked as well and the server just runs regardless of client amount.
There is just the annoying display bug after the page refresh - then it show "Resume manual".
If you don't save, it changes nothing. When you wan't to keep the other setting you must change it before saving.

Edited by Eld0r

[ ]  twitch.tv/eld0r — Chaos, dumme Sprüche, Chaos und keine Wiederholungen.  [ ]

15 hours ago, Eld0r said:

but what you mean is Loop, innit?
Check the Loop switch. Once the mission is over it loops back to the first mission in the list.
(also works if there is only one mission in the list - it will just reload that same mission)

I only use "Resume with clients". It works as intended, it's saved correctly and server runs only with clients.
Last time I checked "Resume on load" that worked as well and the server just runs regardless of client amount.
There is just the annoying display bug after the page refresh - then it show "Resume manual".
If you don't save, it changes nothing. When you wan't to keep the other setting you must change it before saving.

I use loop and resume with clients. It would keep reverting even without anyone touching the UI and the server goes offline when the mission is finished.

serverSettings.lua:

["listLoop"] = true
["resume_mode"] = 2

As expected. There's something funky going on between the actual config and the web GUI, and it would seem that there's something causing the settings to revert after certain updates.

7 hours ago, Camble said:

It would keep reverting even without anyone touching the UI and the server goes offline when the mission is finished.

I use both options too and they works very well for me in latest openbeta and stablerelease servers:
The servers pause without a client, continue with a client and once the mission is done each server reloads its mission. 

So you say that the actual two settings "listLoop" and "resume_mode" in "serverSettings.lua" are reset inside the file?
That never happened to me. Only when I press [save] while the wrong radio box was selected by the loading.
given, it checks the wrong radio box for "resume_mode" every time I look in the local WebGUI but the file is fine and the server behaves correct.

cfg = 
{
    ["advanced"] = 
    {
        ["resume_mode"] = 2,
    }, -- end of ["advanced"]
    ["listLoop"] = true,
    ["missionList"] = 
    {
        [1] = "C:\\GameServers\\DCS.server\\Missions\\Eld0rs trainStable v22.5.miz
    }, -- end of ["missionList"]
} -- end of cfg

That mission ends when the trigger mission time is greater than whatever, then it throws a message and a delayed mission end event.
the log shows: some warnings that stuff still exists, jada jada, terrain clean, NET: simulation stopped, jada jada, NET: server has stopped.
two seconds later: NET: server has started, jada, jada, NET: Listen stuff, jada jada, NET: Loading mission: ..., and so on until it is playable again.

I can tell you the clean vanilla dedicated server works. I actualy did a clean reinstall of both dedicated servers recently and redid the configs from scratch to get rid of some playarounds and bloated stuff I put there. Anyway I always used these functions and both worked before and work after.
That is very weird. Are you using special mods and scrips apart from Tacview and SRS?
By any chance are you hosting multiple servers on the same system?

Edited by Eld0r

2 minutes ago, Eld0r said:

So you say that the actual two settings "listLoop" and "resume_mode" in "serverSettings.lua" are reset inside the file?

No, it just doesn't matter that the settings are correct in serverSettings.lua.

3 minutes ago, Eld0r said:

By any chance are you hosting multiple servers on the same system?

No just one, and it seemed to be resolved for quite some time until it started happening again without warning. Switching from 1 to 2 missions in the rotation seemed to fix it for a while, then it came back. Changing my scheduled task to run on startup rather than on login seemed to fix it for a while, then it came back. The config file always looks correct.

I get the impression most server hosts have workarounds for this kind of issue and put up with it because of that, but ED are unlikely to fix the root cause if everyone uses manual workarounds like auto-restart scripts etc. I'd just like the server to respect the settings in the file, and for the GUI to not revert the settings.

So what one of my servers does, is crashing from time to time. this indeed happens out of the blue and not regularly and then the server... well stops.
funny enouth its only the stable version tho.

na, like I said I ran openbeta as well and there it works fine too. the stable is only the secondary.

you could
1. in your dcs dedicated server nstallation dir of the game files, in the root, check "dcs_variant.txt" for just containing the string: openbeta_server
2. Check your DCS.exe usercontext in taskmgr. It should run under your username.
3. Check in "C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\" that the folder of DCS is named after the string in the variant file: "DCS.openbeta_server\"
4. the file "dedicatedServer.lua" is loicated in "C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\" and formated liked the lua I wrote in my old post.

You said using multiple mission is a workaround?
I actually sometimes use the same mission twice in the list as well.
That makes quick mission restarts a bit faster and does not disconnect the clients like a press on restart would do.

Edit:
I can tell you it should work. ^^ Maybe it's a wrong path, your right config must be somewhere.
If the config file does not match how your server behaves, then it is most likely the wrong file.
- BTW could you send it for a lookup?
- But It is a different machine or are you running the dedicated on the same machine as your client?

there was also a good Point at the beginning: make Sure that the file was created without admin rights if you run the dedicated without admin rights.

*sry, overlooked that you checked the Syntax already. night, ist frkn late. o7

Edited by Eld0r
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Eld0r said:

You said using multiple mission is a workaround?

Was. The issue returned a few days ago. I use a morning/evening rotation on the same mission.

I think you're right about there being 2 separate issues here. The resume manual reverting seems to be a front-end issue and you need to be vigilant to not accidentally save that setting. But when my missions are over the server goes offline, even if loop is enabled.

I don't think it's a path issue, as the server has been running fine for a few months without any trouble.

1. correct
2. correct
3. correct
4. C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Scripts\

Think I've found the cause of the problem.

The mission I'm running has a timed event to reload after 4 hours, and calls the mission by name. The mission was renamed months ago. I cleared the logs and ran the server without any resume setting, to let it run through and generate some clean logs. This revealed an error trying to reload the mission.

Changing the event to END MISSION instead of reload got rid of the error and the server seems quite happy to jump to the next file now. Changing the mission duration to 10 seconds allowed me to test a rotation of mission files very quickly.

Still doesn't explain why it was working for 2 months without a problem, but hopefully this will help someone with a similar issue.

@Eld0r, thank you very much for your input!

Edited by Camble

2 hours ago, Camble said:

The mission I'm running has a timed event to reload after 4 hours, and calls the mission by name.

ah nice!
yeah I remember loading a defined mission is a thing and useful for campaigns, but I scrapped it.
So I version my mission and otherwise I need to update that every time. WIth just the EndMission the server does it by itself with the mission list.

I totally understand the server then quitting its job 😛 
Maybe there was a inbetween time when a missing mission was just skipped but now it puts the server on a hold again.

(you right: no 4. of course needed \Scripts\ in the path. sry, was too tired)

Edit:
So the "offtopic" stops here and we continue now with just the "wrong readout of resume_mode" bug.

Maybe I can fix it myself with some time. I already found another bug in the webgui app.js

Edited by Eld0r

ok, so this is somehow weirdly named with a totally different designation:

"startOnSetting"  

then we have the javascrip created elements, the three radio buttons controlling the resume mode in advanced settings:

"start_on"                        // name of the 3 radio buttons
"start_on_command"      // id and selected-value of the 1st radio button
"start_after_load"            // id and selected-value of the 2nd radio button
"start_with_customers"   // id and selected-value of the 3rd radio button

and then we have the set values depeding on the selected radio-button when clicking save. This works and the variables are named like this:

resume_mode               // name of variable {0, 1, 2}
pause_on_load              // name of variable {false, true} ... redundant ?!
pause_without_clients  // name of variable {false, true} ... redundant ?!

I tested the last part also with popup messages from source code and all variants looked good.
So I assume it is more around the startOnSetting thing with the web element creation.

All of that has already given me a lot of headaches, tho. The very best funfact is:
Once you take a look, press Cancel and then take a look again, it shows the correct actual value. 
This repetetly works: whatever you change and save will be loaded and correctly displayed.
There is a reset function loading the correct values and this thing is used whenever you press Cancel.
The save function works similar and also sorts out the radio button states and saves the correct values.
... it's just for the first time that you must look a second time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe... at some point in the future... I'll have a look at the app.js again. Hopefully a js web dev resolved the problem before I take a look again.