Harrier: Make the AGM-122 an ALARM

Hello community,

I am in the need of (for?) your help.

Maybe some of the A-4 mod-team guys can help me.

For a special campaign, I want to have some Harriers with british spirit.

For that I thought, I could mod the AGM-122 to be an ALARM

Info on what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALARM

First, what is working:

- I changed the model simply by taking the t-alarm.edm (copying it) and renaming it to agm-122.edm and replacing the original one

- I went into Gamefolder/Scripts/Database/weapons and changed two files:

missile_data.lua and missile_table.lua

I tried as much as possible to understand the data and replaced neraly all agm-122 data with alarm data, except for names of course.

See the files attached.

- Next, GameFolder/CoreMods/aircraft/AV8BNA/weapons

I changed the only file in there, AV8BNA_weapons.lua, but only one line.

At the section of the AGM-122, I changed the weight from 92 to 272.

The above other files mention a weight of 88 for the SideArm and 268 for the ALARM.

So I thought I add up the 4 (whatever the unit is) difference between 88 and 92 for the original -122 in this file for the ALARM as well.

- Now, fiiring the weapon works, and it is fun, as the warhead is simply bigger.

-> looks like the other thing, blasts like it and is heavy on the A/C as it => passed

What is not working:

-> the maximum "soft"-lock-on distance of the ALARM is the very same as for the SideARM, ~10.334 miles.

So I can trick the Harrier to think, it's fiiring a SideARM, but it does handle it like one too, even though missile_data.lua and missile_table.lua have all the paramters to have the greater range of the ALARM, etc.

I think one specific line (actually three lines, but all say the same) is important (in AV8BNA_weapons.lua):

wsTypeOfWeapon    = {wsType_Weapon, wsType_Missile, wsType_AS_Missile, 68},

And in this line the '68' is doing weird things. Just a side test:

I looked up the A-4 mod, because I thought, if I try this, just to change the AGM-122 to a AGM-45, the A-4 guys must have gone through the same problem.

In that code position, the A-4E-C_weapons.lua states a '60'.

So I changed the 68 for a 60, and hell what the f, there was a working AGM-45 (with it's accuracy & target loss flaws) on that Harrier, but still locking-on at 10.3nm and completely ignoring the missile_data.lua and missile_table.lua AGM-122-data and agm-122.edm 3D model, even though the AV8BNA_weapons.lua still referenced the AGM-122 data.

All in all & your help:

I dont know if I am wishing for anything too fancy here.

The missile is wokring, immersion is there, but if somebody knows how to convince the Harrier to lock up targets at a greater range than 10nm, that would be awesome.

Even 20nm (from 30.000ft) would be great, the ALARM itselfs has its limitations at that distance. And it's an integrity break, so don't worry about cheating please.

The locking distance is the "only" thing left to change, but I am "out of my latin" as we say in german^^

Cheers :pilotfly:

missiles_data.lua

missiles_table.lua

AV8BNA_Weapons.lua

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 1 year later...

looking to do this for the harrier it seems that the dcs structure is completely different now does anybody know if this still can be done sidearms changed to alarms visually that is?

managed to change the model to an alarm looks so cool, t-alarm.edm and agm-122.edm is now in dcs\bazar\world\shapes dont know how to change the data yet for the alarm but like i say it looks really good and more appropriate for an RAF harrier 

harrierRAF.png

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

What i would like to do next is change some of the cluster munitions for the BL-755. On the Tornado it is there on one of the weapon load presets but you cant select the weapon in ME, but you can physically see the weapon on the aircraft. I've looked everywhere in shapes for the file but unfortunately cant find it. If anyone knows where the file is I would appreciate it. You can see the BL755 in the encyclopaedia. 

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV