How do you edit ControlsIndicator.lua to change screen postition

Hi Raisuli. Thanks for eaching out. No apologies necessary, thats exactly what I'm looking to do. For the longest I've been tying to get the ControlsIndicator to show on my main monitor of a 4 monitor setup (34" 3440x1440, 32" 1920x1080, 8" USBTS 1024x600 and, a 5" 600x800). Realizing that my .lua script was probably broken, I replaced it with Rackham's Transparent Controls Indicator mod and it worked perfectlly. However, its exporting to my 8" display which is used for my F18 Helios UFC export. As I indicated, I want it to show on my main screen while in HUD only mode. If you can guide me, it would be fantastic. In any event, thanks for your input and support.

Mike "Mad Max"

Hi Raisuli. Thanks for eaching out. No apologies necessary, thats exactly what I'm looking to do. For the longest I've been tying to get the ControlsIndicator to show on my main monitor of a 4 monitor setup (34" 3440x1440, 32" 1920x1080, 8" USBTS 1024x600 and, a 5" 600x800). Realizing that my .lua script was probably broken, I replaced it with Rackham's Transparent Controls Indicator mod and it worked perfectlly. However, its exporting to my 8" display which is used for my F18 Helios UFC export. As I indicated, I want it to show on my main screen while in HUD only mode. If you can guide me, it would be fantastic. In any event, thanks for your input and support.

Mike "Mad Max"

There are quite a few guides for setting up monitor.lua files; rather than re-creating the wheel (and taking credit where it's not due) I'll point you at the one I used. It goes all the way back to 2010, but it still works (or at least I got it working). If you still run into trouble let me know and we can step through it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60815

Thanks much for directing me to this thread. It was a lot to read but, a really great read. I wish I had know about this guide 2 years ago when I started out with the Warthog before moving to the Hornet last year as my go to module. However, I haven't come across anything that addresses my issue. Unless I'm missing something and can somehow add the "ControlsIndicator" to my Saved Games....\Monitor Setup specifying its X & Y coordinates for placement on my main monitor, I'm thinking that there must be a line (or several) in the ControlsIndicator.lua which tells it where to position it in the total monitor(s) setup.

mikemadmax20, I have a similar problem - the default Controls Indicator position is off-screen of my multi-monitor setup.

To move the indicator position, I have to edit the ControlsIndicator_page.lua file in each aircraft's mod folder in the DCS installation - and the customisation has to be re-done after each update, as DCS replaces the edited files.

The file is in a consistent location for each aircraft - mods\aircraft\[aircraft-name]\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator.

The file itself can differ a bit from aircraft to aircraft, but the required change seems to always be the same: E.g. for the F/A-18, I just change one line - at around line 54 of the file, to be:

base.init_pos = {0,0.5} -- was {0,-(1 - 2.0*size_x)}

The A-10C is similar, but the line is in a slightly different location. Look for the "base.init_pos" line in the file for your aircraft. The numbers you require depend on your screen layout. {0,0.5} puts the indicator half way down the LH edge of my main monitor.

If you have difficulty with this, and have a specific aircraft you need adjusted, let me know and I can post a suitably-adjusted file for you.

Edited by Loophole
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks to Loophole for providing the info in Post #6.

This thread helped me restore the Controls Indicator overlay back to my primary display. I recently added a trio of CubeSim MFD panels to my monitor setup. They are an excellent companion when mated to the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD bezels. The one problem I had was the loss of the Controls Indicator overlay. In order to bring the overlay back to the primary screen, I had to play with the values noted in Post #6.

The procedures below were used to restore the overlay:

1. This fix must be done for each aircraft that you fly. If you only fly the F/A-18 then modify that speficic lua file. If you fly more than one aircraft, for example, the F/A-18, the F-16, and F-14, then you must edit the file in each folder.

2. The directory is here: ..\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\[specific Aircraft, like FA-18C]\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator

3. The file name is: ControlsIndicator_page.lua

4. Edit file ControlsIndicator_page.lua with Notepad++

5. Edit information on Line 54 (or close to it)

6. The content to edit is called base.init_pos, as mentioned in Post #6.

7. The default information of line 54 should be as follows: base.init_pos = {0,-(1 - 2.0*size_x)}

8. I had to play with these values in Step 7 a lot to finally get it right!

9. The values that worked for my monitor configuration are: base.init_pos = {3.27,-0.75}

10. This passes integrity check (if anyone is concerned about that)!

11. The Controls Indicator overlay is tied to the TrackIR view. That means when you look around the indicator follows.

My primary monitor is an msi Optix MAG127CQR (27" curved display) and video card is an AMD Radeion RX 5700XT 8GB GDDR6 1750MHz.

Expect your mileage to vary because of monitor resolutions, multi-monitor orientations, locations, etc.

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 3:24 AM, GeoS72 said:

Thanks to Loophole for providing the info in Post #6.

This thread helped me restore the Controls Indicator overlay back to my primary display. I recently added a trio of CubeSim MFD panels to my monitor setup. They are an excellent companion when mated to the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD bezels. The one problem I had was the loss of the Controls Indicator overlay. In order to bring the overlay back to the primary screen, I had to play with the values noted in Post #6.

The procedures below were used to restore the overlay:

1. This fix must be done for each aircraft that you fly. If you only fly the F/A-18 then modify that speficic lua file. If you fly more than one aircraft, for example, the F/A-18, the F-16, and F-14, then you must edit the file in each folder.

2. The directory is here: ..\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\[specific Aircraft, like FA-18C]\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator

3. The file name is: ControlsIndicator_page.lua

4. Edit file ControlsIndicator_page.lua with Notepad++

5. Edit information on Line 54 (or close to it)

6. The content to edit is called base.init_pos, as mentioned in Post #6.

7. The default information of line 54 should be as follows: base.init_pos = {0,-(1 - 2.0*size_x)}

8. I had to play with these values in Step 7 a lot to finally get it right!

9. The values that worked for my monitor configuration are: base.init_pos = {3.27,-0.75}

10. This passes integrity check (if anyone is concerned about that)!

11. The Controls Indicator overlay is tied to the TrackIR view. That means when you look around the indicator follows.

My primary monitor is an msi Optix MAG127CQR (27" curved display) and video card is an AMD Radeion RX 5700XT 8GB GDDR6 1750MHz.

Expect your mileage to vary because of monitor resolutions, multi-monitor orientations, locations, etc.

As a follow up to my original post, I add the following recommendations for folks with additional type/model/series aircraft to the F/A-18C Hornet:

1. The location and position of the Controls Indicator box will vary from aircraft module to aircraft module. For example, the location that works best in the F/A-18C will not work in the P-47 or the UH-1.

2. The file location may not be in the ControlsIndicator sub-folder as noted in the above Step 2. However, the file should be located in the aircraft cockpit scripts folder.

3. The folder location would be ..\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\[specific Aircraft, like P-47D-30]\Cockpit\Scripts

4. The file name may be a variation, such as controls_indicator_page.lua, but the content will be very similar.

5. The line to edit the base.init_pos will be different in each LUA file. Therefore, search for that specific name.

6. Do NOT copy one LUA file from module A into module B. There are subtle differences between the scripts for each type/model/series aircraft.

7. Create a backup LUA file before making any changes!

8. Follow the quoted steps outlined above given the exceptions noted in this update.

9. To make adjustments to the LUA file, end the current active mission, do NOT exit DCS (leave it in the mission debrief screen), make the necessary changes, then press the "Fly Again" button.

10. Repeat Step 9 until the location of the controls indicator box is within the desired location.

• 3 years later...

I am resurrecting this thread from the dead because there are some additional overlays that are discussed in this thread on the Mi-8. There are some screenshots that show the results.

These overlay files can be edited for anyone who uses multi-monitor displays. The overlays that can be moved around are:
Controls Indicator
AI Gunner
Crew Status Indicator

The AI Gunner & Crew Status Indicator overlays can be edited for the Mi-8, Mi-24, and UH-1.

Feel free to check it out!

Cross-referenced link here: Mi-8 Crew Status Indicator Position