Mi-8 Crew Status Indicator Position

Go to solution Solved by GeoS72,

Hello all!

While editing the position of the AI Gunner indicator and Controls Indicator overlays for the Mi-8, I noted this Crew Status indicator (bottom left corner of the screenshot).

How would I be able to move it from its current position to the space indicated by the empty yellow box?

I moved the AI Gunner Indicator & Controls Indicator overlays by modifying the following files at their respective locations:
D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\AI\ControlPanel\g_panel_page.lua (AI Gunner)
D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator\ControlsIndicator_page.lua (Controls Indicator)

I was unsuccessful in editing line 7 in the crew_indicator_page.lua file located here:
D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\CrewIndicator

I was moving things around because of my multi-monitor setup and thought it looked cool to see. Otherwise, it would be hidden.

My search for a similar topic yielded no results. Has anyone else played with the position of this overlay? Any advice or links to share would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Screen_230902_000942a.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GeoS72 said:

Bumping up this message for greater visibility. Have any Mi-8 pilots moved this overlay in the past?

Hi, I'm not sure about that overlay, but it should be doable as I've seen other overlays moved around. 

Maybe I'll give it a shot myself.

Edit: Just saw your thread and explainations for the Huey. 

Edit2: According to this post it should work. 

Edited by MAXsenna

@MAXsenna,

Thanks for the reply. The thread you referenced was one of which I provided some feedback. That crew status indicator is different than the one I'm currently referring to. This is a screenshot of what I'm talking about. This crew indicator will show clients in key positions.

It should be controlled by this file:
D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\CrewIndicator\crew_indicator_page.lua

All of the variables are written horizontally and don't seem to make any sense to me. It can be found on Line 7 and states:
populate(5, {{41.0/128.0, -38.0/256.0}, {86.0/128.0, -38.0/256.0}, {64.0/128.0, -58.0/256.0, {{"cabin_icon_displacement", 2, -70.0/256.0*size}}}, {41.0/128.0, -88.0/256.0}, {84.0/128.0, -208.0/256.0}}, 0.9)

Screen_230902_000942b.png

• 5 months later...
  • Solution

OK, I finally found a way to move the Crew Status Indicator! The file that needs to be edited is crew_indicator_common.lua.

This file is located in the main DCS install folder here:
...\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit

Edit Line 58 to look something like this:
base.init_pos        = {0.50,0.75} -- {-aspect, -1.0 + size + 0.0525}

Please note, the first pair of x & y coordinates are meant for my screen dimensions. The remarked coordinates are the default values. Make sure to make a backup of the original file in case things get messed up. Additionally, make a backup of the current file to account for new updates to DCS. Yes, these values would need to be changed after each DCS update.

This overlay also affects the UH-1H Huey or other vehicle with a similar display option.

Here is a screenshot that shows the location of each overlay. These positions correspond to external MFD displays.

DCS 2024-02-22 22-18-09.png

Edited by GeoS72
Added note about the Huey
  • Like 3

Great to know... I've been moving the indicator manually for the Mi-8 and Huey separately, but know it can be done via a common lua is great... would be nice this this was just an option in the in-game settings though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have kind of a similar problem as I use multiple displays but those extra displays are reserved for MFDs and gauges displayed via Helios.

With Mi-8 at least AI gunner panel and Cargo panel will always be at those displays - and when using Helios, under the gauges.

So far I couldn't figure out how to move them to the main screen.

Example how it's now:

Screen_240419_000522.png

I have 2560x1440 as main screen and two 1920x1080 displays on the right side of it. DCS will throw most overlays just to the right edge of my rightmost display. Some I have fixed (like a kneeboard) but some seems to be much harder to fix.

I managed to get AI indicators to the main screen by changing

local shift_X          = -0.9

to

local shift_X          = -6.1

in file <DRIVE>:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\AI\ControlPanel\g_panel_page.lua

Which I guess, moves that indicator by 6.1 x it's width from the right edge of screen.

However, there's indicators that I cannot even see in the screens. They're visible only in screenshots, like the Cargo Indicator and Yaw-Pitch-Roll indicators.

I really don't know why they show up only in the screenshots, not in my live screens.

Screen_240419_172937.png

@Usagi, et al: you may need to experiment further with the x & y coordinates of the LUA file as it pertains to your monitor resolution.

To play with the AI Gunner & ControlsIndicator locations, refer to the LUA files in my first post.

Keep in mind that minor adjustments to the values will have a dramatic shift in the overlay location. Generally speaking, a positive value for X coordinates will move the overlay to the right and a negative value will move the overlay to the left. For Y coordinates, a positive value will move the overlay up and a negative value will move the overlay down.

Modify the values in the following LUA files:

1. (Main DCS Install folder) ...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\AI\ControlPanel
1.a. g_panel_page.lua

1.b. Edit Lines 42 - 44. They correspond to these default values:

NOTE: Use the double dash lines to remark out the default value in case of errors.

1.b.1. local shift_x = 0.75 -- 0.9 (remark example)
1.b.1. local shift_y = -1
1.b.1. local size_x = -shift_x + 0.02

1.c. Edit Line 168
1.c.1. local Key_pos_x = size_X * 0.78

1.d. Edit Line 173
1.d.1. txt_Gunner_Key.init_pos = {Key_pos_x, 0,0}

1.e. Edit Line 184
1.e.1. txt_BkGunner_Key.init_pos = {Key_pos_x, 0.0}

2. (Main DCS Install folder) ...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator
2.a. Controlsindicator_page.lua

2.a.1. Edit Line 45 (this moves the box & crosshairs)
2.a.2. base.init_pos = {6.12,0.46} -- {0,(1 - 1.3*size)}

NOTE: Use the double dash lines to remark out the default value in case of errors.

2.b.1. Edit Line 274 (this moves the autopilot "H-K-T-B" boxes)
2.b.2. autopilot_base.init_pos = {-0.28,0.84} -- {0,(1 - autopilot_height)

ALWAYS make a backup of these files In case things go south during your edits. Each time DCS updates, these files are replaced so make a backup after your edit is finished. I keep 3 copies of each file in the same folder. It is safe keeping them there and it is easy to access after an update to DCS is applied. Pay attention to the file date/time stamps too! This is how I keep track of my backup files with the following name convention:

Controlsindicator_page.lua
Controlsindicator_page - orig.lua (this copy becomes the master/original file after each DCS update)
Controlsindicator_page- CURRENT.lua (this copy is YOUR backup of the modified file that is tailored to your monitor)

After DCS goes through the update process, delete the old "orig" file and create a copy of the Controlsindicator_page.lua (follow the rename convention). Open the "current" file and the new LUA file in Notepad++. Use the Compare Plugin to quickly identify the Lines that need to be modified. Copy & paste your values into the new file then save it. Afterwards, exit Notepad++. Delete the old CURRENT file then create a copy of the new file following the name convention.

This update technique works for me and I follow a similar routine for all my other modules with overlays. I have never lost my settings or had to build a new one from scratch because of an accidental deletion. I also keep a backup on an external drive in case of hard disk failure too. Save your future self hours of editing by taking a few moments to backup files in the present!

Does this explanation help?

@Usagi,

The reason why you can't see those overlays on your additional monitors is because they are "below" the resolution of those 1920x1080 monitors. The DCS environment sees your primary monitor as 2560 pixels (wide) by 1440 pixels (high). That primary monitor resolution is extended into those secondary 1920x1080 monitors.

Think of those extra monitors as they were your feet. If your feet are a size 7 then they can physically fit inside a size 9 shoe. Your feet have a lot of room in those size 9 shoes! The same applies to those additional monitors. They can only display a 1920x1080 picture but DCS thinks they are the same height (1440 pixels) as your primary 2560x1440 monitor.

Basically, your DCS screen resolution should be around 6400x1440 because it adds up the total width of all those monitors while maintaining the height of your primary monitor (1440 pixels). All of those 1080 pixel "feet" fit inside the 1440 pixel "shoes" with a lot of room to spare.

For single monitor use, the default overlay locations work well. However, when adding multiple monitors of different sizes, then their locations become hidden. This is because those smaller monitors cannot "see" the location of those overlays despite DCS "telling" the overlays to show up at the bottom right corner of the screen.

As an example, this is a basic graphical representation of my monitor configuration. I use 3 small 800x600 monitors plus my primary monitor in DCS. This works well for the F/A-18C Hornet. When I'm not flying the Hornet, these extra displays are normally blank. When they are not displaying MFD information, I use them to display various overlays in other modules, like the Mi-8, UH-1H, and a wide array of others.

Does that make sense?

Basic monitor layout.png