Which mouse (or tool) for smooth and cinematic camera shots?

I’m trying to get smooth, cinematic camera shots for a Hornet video.

The mouse movement can be set to slow in DCS options and the resolution oft the mouse setting can be refined but the result is still not suitable.

I'm using a wireless 1000 - 2000 dpi mouse. But regardless of dpi settings pans and zooms are yerky and shaky even when trying to move the mouse with greatest caution.

Any advice for a mouse which suits best for this task? Are there any other (USB) control tools applicable?

I’m trying to get smooth, cinematic camera shots for a Hornet video.

The mouse movement can be set to slow in DCS options and the resolution oft the mouse setting can be refined but the result is still not suitable.

I'm using a wireless 1000 - 2000 dpi mouse. But regardless of dpi settings pans and zooms are yerky and shaky even when trying to move the mouse with greatest caution.

Any advice for a mouse which suits best for this task? Are there any other (USB) control tools applicable?

Wouldn't a joystick be best for that?

Using a mouse I would try to convert mouse input into Vjoy axes.

Using FreePie for exemple. And this script.

Wouldn't a joystick be best for that?

Using a mouse I would try to convert mouse input into Vjoy axes.

Using FreePie for exemple. And this script.

yes, not a bad idea. With a joystick very fine and precise cam movements would be possible.

But controlling all other functions with the"joystick as mouse" might not be as handy.

However, merci Antoine.

yes, not a bad idea. With a joystick very fine and precise cam movements would be possible.

But controlling all other functions with the"joystick as mouse" might not be as handy.

However, merci Antoine.

Can't you have both mapped at the same time?

Can't you have both mapped at the same time?

No, that's the point, unfortunately.

DCS can only map 4 (USB) control/map inputs: Keyboard, joystick, rudder and mouse.

Any additional input will simply be disregarded.

Earlier I've been considering track ball devices, but the DCS compatiblity of these drivers is more than questionable.

They will be accepted as "mouse", will behave as a mouse but no one can guarantee compatibility.

DCS can only map 4 (USB) control/map inputs: Keyboard, joystick, rudder and mouse.

Earlier I've been considering track ball devices, but the DCS compatiblity of these drivers is more than questionable.

They will be accepted as "mouse", will behave as a mouse but no one can guarantee compatibility.

But you can have several "joysticks" in DCS. One could be dedicated to your "view control".

You sure ?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243563

I have throttle , stick , rudder , trackball & keyboard , (5 usbs) plugged directly into mb .

That's not counting vr (now) or trackir (previously) as they come with their own software .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

But you can have several "joysticks" in DCS. One could be dedicated to your "view control".

Yes, multiple USB devices are surely be possible in Windows.

The question is, can a second jostick be configured in DCS options menue to control view movement? If so, it's fine.

I tested already to connect a second mouse but it doesn't appear as such in the control options menu.

Yes, multiple USB devices are surely be possible in Windows.

The question is, can a second jostick be configured in DCS options menue to control view movement? If so, it's fine.

I tested already to connect a second mouse but it doesn't appear as such in the control options menu.

Yes we can map several joysticks within DCS menu.

Perhaps the confusion is due to number of columns displayed . If you use the scroll l/r function , you will see additional columns displayed if xtra inputs . I have read of some vr users using a mouse And a trackball in addition to a full flight control setup and keyboard .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Perhaps the confusion is due to number of columns displayed . If you use the scroll l/r function , you will see additional columns displayed if xtra inputs . I have read of some vr users using a mouse And a trackball in addition to a full flight control setup and keyboard .

Yes, you're right. I was mislead by the number of columns in the control options menu. I was not aware of the possibility of having more than the 4 devices as shown here.

I'll test now adding an USB trackball mouse, hoping that this item allows more sensitive control of the camera movement.

As far as compatibility is concerned, I wouldn't expect a problem. I have two trackballs: Logitech wireless marble & ELECOM Trackball Mouse M-DPT1MRXBK,

They both work a treat, and the Elecom has two fineness settings (switch underneath).

Rig A: (New in 2019) Custom-built: ASUS Maximus Code XI; Water-cooled i7-8700K; 32 GB RAM; 2xSSD=970 EVO 500GB; Graphics Card = EVGA RTX 2080 (FTW3 Ultra); Thrustmaster Warthog; Saitek Rudder; Tracking Headset.

Rig B: Surface Book (Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz; 16GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GPU(1GB-RAM); 500GB SSD) Saitek 35x Joystick & Throttle

Rig C: Alienware M17X-R2 (Intel Core i7 Q820 CPU@1.73GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Twin AMD HD5800 Radeon GPUs (1 GB RAM each); 500GB SSD + 500GB HD)

As far as compatibility is concerned, I wouldn't expect a problem. I have two trackballs: Logitech wireless marble & ELECOM Trackball Mouse M-DPT1MRXBK,

They both work a treat, and the Elecom has two fineness settings (switch underneath).

Thanks, SpitFlyer, good to know that. I'll try the ELECOM trackball mouse.

Do you have a second (a standard mouse) connected in addition to the track ball mouse?

Do you have any experiences in steering/moving the DCS camera with that track ball for video shots? (e.g. smooth pans)