using a television as a monitor

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new tv to use as a monitor to go with a bigger screen. My computer specs are Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 1TB Hard Drive + 240GB Solid State Drive , and I have trackir. I am currently using an ASUS - MG28UQ 28" LED 4K UHD Monitor. I was wondering if anyone that is using a tv had any recommendations as far as specs and size and what they are using. Thanks, Jeff.

Same for me, I am building my Mi-24P simpit and I want to switch from a normal PC monitor to a TV screen 55 Inches...

Aurelius, I will check for your TV screen but other models used with DCS by other people are more than welcome !

Thxxxx

I have been using an LCD TV for years. I recently went from an really old Mitsubishi 46-inch 1080p LCD to a TCL 49S515 49-inch 4K that supports 60 Hz via HDMI. I had planned on getting the top 65-inch TCL 6-series, but I have my PC behind the monitor so I preferred the much lower weight of the 49-inch to ease access for repairs/upgrades. I could also carry the 49-inch home in the backseat of my car, whereas the 65-inch had to be delivered.

I have never had a 120 Hz or 144 Hz LCD. My 20-inch Samsung 1600x1200 LCD monitors that preceded the first TV were only 60 Hz. The 19-inch 1600x1200 CRT I had before that could do 85 Hz. I am one of those people that can easily see the difference between 30, 45, 60, and 90 fps. I have always been pretty happy with 45, so my Rift S settling out at 40 fps while playing DCS World doesn't kill me. But I greatly appreciate when I get a steady 60 fps on my 4K TV or better yet 80 fps on the Rift S. So, I would really like a large gaming quality monitor. TV sized gaming monitors exist that have 120 to 144 Hz refresh at 4K with display port inputs and FreeSync or G-Sync. But the prices they are asking are insane compared to TVs. I got my TCL 49-inch displays for about $300 each and the 65-inch for $600. Whereas the ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q 43" 4K 120Hz monitor is $1,100 and the ASUS Republic of Gamers Swift PG65UQ 64.5" 4K 144 Hz monitor is $4,500. I would love to have the PG65, but the extra $4,200 it costs compared to the 49S515 I am using now is not worth it to me. It simply would not be that much better, DCS World isn't going to run at 144 fps, and I fly VR more than half of the time now.

If TVs ever add DisplayPorts and truly support 120+ Hz refresh rates rather than using technology tricks to fill in the frames between the 60 Hz, there won't be a need to choose. I suspect that the actual production cost differences between the TVs and PC monitors are negligible, it is just the market exploiting people's willingness to pony up the money for good gaming hardware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Go to rtings.com to compare models. They break down the different aspects of the TVs. You want the lowest input lag and ghosting levels. I ended up with a Visio TV that has a Samsung panel. It was fairly inexpensive but looks great with no lag.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

You can output to the TV @ 1080p and have it upscale to 4K. Low upscale latency is a must for this. I would sit an arms length from the TV so a 1080p panel could get a little pixelated. I do VR so pixelated is a given. Not that bad with the O+ but still there.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground