Pilot Display Unit?

Flagrum

According to documents, the Kiowa has or had some sort of HUD or collimated gun sight, called the Pilot Display Unit (PDU).

Afaik the Polychop Kiowa does not have this device and I wonder why? Is it not in service (anymore) or what are the reasons?

Does anyone know? Polychop?

Hi Flagrum, We've been looking in to this very cool system and we might or might not add it, that is still undecided. The PDU on the Kiowa Warrior was only used in combination with the night vision goggles (ANVIS), so if we add it, it will only work when using NVG's.

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

KW did have a sophisticated HUD; the "PDU" (Pilot Display Unit). Was a two-pane unit, capable of displaying full weapons symbology. Attached to the frame at the top of the windscreen and hung down. Was a bit bulky.

It was NVG compatible, but we were restricted from using them at night because there was a tendency to knock your NVGs off when it was mounted. Consequently, they just sat in the arms room.

Hardpoints and wiring were removed from all aircraft in 2004 as part of a weight-reduction initiative.

PDU.PNG.453d63ef8ed0c5534ab335e0edcdb7d5.PNG

PDU2.PNG.c3ca98abd589f182c9afe2e979bd4e64.PNG

Edited by barundus
adding images

Thanks for setting me straight, I was thinking Flagrum was talking about the ODA when mentioning a HUD style instrument. When it comes to the ODA, my reply still stands though ;)

https://duotechservices.com/repairing-oh-58-sight-unit-of-helmet-mounted-display-hmd

Community Manager Account

DrummerNL

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KW did have a sophisticated HUD; the "PDU" (Pilot Display Unit). Was a two-pane unit, capable of displaying full weapons symbology. Attached to the frame at the top of the windscreen and hung down. Was a bit bulky.

It was NVG compatible, but we were restricted from using them at night because there was a tendency to knock your NVGs off when it was mounted. Consequently, they just sat in the arms room.

Hardpoints and wiring were removed from all aircraft in 2004 as part of a weight-reduction initiative.

I've never seen one or even a picture, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for setting me straight, I was thinking Flagrum was talking about the ODA when mentioning a HUD style instrument. When it comes to the ODA, my reply still stands though ;)

https://duotechservices.com/repairing-oh-58-sight-unit-of-helmet-mounted-display-hmd

You should model NVG burn in for those :lol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So, is the PDU (Pilot Display Unit) going to be included in the module?

On 7/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, barundus said:

PDU.PNG.453d63ef8ed0c5534ab335e0edcdb7d5.PNG

PDU2.PNG.c3ca98abd589f182c9afe2e979bd4e64.PNG

13 hours ago, Cukrrak said:

So, is the PDU (Pilot Display Unit) going to be included in the module?

Not AFAIK.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Should be like this:

20220220_203715.jpg

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

3 hours ago, EvilBert VR said:

Should be like this:

The PDU (Pilot Display Unit) attached to the aircraft and was as described by Barundus

The ODA (Optical Display Assembly) attached to NVG's and was a HUD/MFD repeater focused at infinity.

ANVIS-HUD-with-the-head-up-display-Ris-10-ANVIS-HUD-s-naslemnym-celeukazatelem-Slika.png

OH-58D HMD, Condors 2-17 CAV 2008, 964992b3b3e027e32577180d35ec5202.jpg

@EvilBert VRNeither look like the helmet pictured, what is the name of the HDU, when/were was it fielded on KW operations and how many units were equipped ?

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

20 hours ago, EvilBert VR said:

Should be like this:

20220220_203715.jpg

That looks like a day HUD. Ive never seen anyone actually use one. I don't know if there was one for the KW. That one looks like it would be compatible with Blackhawk or a Chinook, not a Kiowa. As already said the PDU would have been attached to the aircraft.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The only time I ever flew with a PDU was Stinger shots in the Prime Chance aircraft.  Since weapons were not directly integrated with the CDS in the PC birds, you couldn't shoot ATAS without it IIRC.  It was not preferred otherwise because it represented a major injury hazard in the event of a crash.

Edit:  The PDU was day compatible (like any other HUD) and we did use it during daytime Stinger gunnery.  It had settings for gun and rockets too.

Edited by cgrxman
  • Like 2