Please, remove unnecessary liveries from DCS builds. Put them in separate packs

Hardcard

22 minutes ago, RazerVon said:

An argument FOR low-resolution necessary liveries, not an argument for the 14GB of F-14 liveries, nearly all of which are just minor changes.
If you want me to see your cool Grim Reapers skin then I'll have to download that.

If you're using a standard low-vis skin then I'd have the low-res version by default.

Not sure I follow what you mean. I don’t think the game can have duplicate high and low res versions of the same liveries installed so one person sees their own high res version but another player sees the same thing low res. I don’t think that can work. It would also mean having two versions of the skins installed. Players would want even the default liveries to be high res. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

11 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Not sure I follow what you mean. I don’t think the game can have duplicate high and low res versions of the same liveries installed so one person sees their own high res version but another player sees the same thing low res. I don’t think that can work. It would also mean having two versions of the skins installed. Players would want even the default liveries to be high res. 

It works in every other game that has livery systems.
War Thunder added this ability 2 - 3 years ago when they separated 720p, 1080p, and 1440/4k clients.
Whichever client you download you download textures of liveries for that version.
The lowest version is 17GB, and the highest is 106GB final install.

7 minutes ago, RazerVon said:

It works in every other game that has livery systems.
War Thunder added this ability 2 - 3 years ago when they separated 720p, 1080p, and 1440/4k clients.
Whichever client you download you download textures of liveries for that version.
The lowest version is 17GB, and the highest is 106GB final install.

So if you have a high res screen you also need a bigger hard drive and vice versa. But it seems like an ok solution. 
How does WT handle user created liveries? Or do all the liveries need to be handled by the official installer? I guess those would all be high res by default. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

So if you have a high res screen you also need a bigger hard drive and vice versa.

Not really, no.

If you have a desire to only ever look at aircraft up-close and in complete detail, you need a bigger hard drive. But that's no different from any other optional liveries you might want to add for purely aesthetical reasons.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

How does WT handle user created liveries?

Doesn't really matter, now does it? Optional liveries are optional and DCS already handles those just fine.

Coincidentally, it could handle the base liveries the same way of those were made optional, making the whole argument against this largely pointless.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Do you download them separately or together?
You don't have a choice. If you have purchased the original or are trialing it, some parts will be LOW-RES. And if you have upgraded or purchase it now you see the high-res. Works like this in MP too, which l believe is the main reason for this. My point being, the mechanics are there, we can't yet "use it" currently by choice as end users. An official livery manager would tie nicely into this "tech".

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk