[REPORTED]P-47 Oxygen system

SilentGun

I'm not sure this is a bug, but the P-47 only seems to have about 30-40 mins of oxygen to use before it runs out. I would assume that an aircraft that was known for good high altitude performance would have more than just 30 to 40 mins of time up at altitude. I can only make it across the channel (Normandy map) before it runs out of oxygen which seems highly unlikely.

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

I noticed the same thing this morning when I took the Jug up high. I was cruising along, fat dumb and happy at 32000 ft trying to see how high she would go when I noticed the oxygen tank was almost empty. Something was off here.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

So provided you have six D-2 cylinders, and the oxygen gauge is reading 400 PSI, these are the durations at altitude we should be seeing. (Per An 01-65BC-1A, Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for P-47D-25 through D-35, British Model, January 1945, Figure 44 pg 39)

1151634623_D-30Oxygentime.jpg.aa86e5f6454d6e5fa1928b11deff1223.jpg

How do you turn on the oxygen? Or does the flow / blinker start automaticaly at a certain altitude?

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Noticed the same today when flying the mission "Top cover".

At the time the B-17 are at the target my oxygen ran out.

I had the oxygen regulator in Normal mode.

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

Well i'm glad i wasn't the only one who thought the oxygen consumption was off. Great find Voyager!

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Im more impressed that you reach 20k+ altitude in this bird. For a high-altitude fighter, It does not like to climb. My friend said, finally reaching 25000 feet: ”Im not doing that again. Never.” :lol:

I imagine the addition of water injection will make it slightly less painful.... but only slightly.

Im more impressed that you reach 20k+ altitude in this bird. For a high-altitude fighter, It does not like to climb. My friend said, finally reaching 25000 feet: ”Im not doing that again. Never.” :lol:

41" MP at 2550 RPM, oil and cowl flaps full open and trim to 150mph IAS. Adjust throttle and boost to match.

Also, drain the aux tank down to 15 gallons first or you're in for a bad time. Should be able to climb at 1.5-2kfpm

The mistake most people do is to connect the throttle and boost lever. This was only introduced for ease of use during combat at high altitude. Normally you should never do that.

And you should never advance the boost beyond the throttle.

My advise for people with 2 axis available is to bind throttle and boost, not the prop in this bird.

Then climb is easy:

1. From the ground upwards, the boost stays off, only fly with throttle.

2. at about 5-7k feet, your MP will drop below what you want, and you introduce boost.

3. Continue giving more boost as MP drops while climbing. At this point the boost lever is your throttle!

4. Somewhere around 30k feet (can't remember the number) you cannot boost more, or you will overspeed the turbo (light comes on) Now start gradually reducing boost, just enough to keep the light off.

I was able to reach about 40k feet quite easily doing that. At that point i could not introduce more power. I am sure more will be available with WI, but thats not for cruising anyways.

Hope that helps. :)