Mouse Movement with Rift Headset? How to?

OnlyforDCS

Yeah moving the mouse and clicking on stuff while wearing the Rift is really, and I mean really not doing it for me. It's extremely hard to do while flying and trying to keep hands on stick, especially on modules that don't feature a robust autopilot.

I've seen videos of people moving their mouse cursor using their Headset, and then (I assume) clicking on stuff using a prebound button on their HOTAS.

How do I set this up?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yep you can assign all mouse functions to buttons on HOTAS in the UI Layer of the controls menu.

I did this but found it is actually easier for me to just move the mouse. But I have a slide out panel on right side of my desk that positions my mouse just to the right side of my arm so not too difficult to use.

One can also assign to the Touch Controllers of the Rift, however I found that even more cumbersome.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah moving the mouse and clicking on stuff while wearing the Rift is really, and I mean really not doing it for me. It's extremely hard to do while flying and trying to keep hands on stick, especially on modules that don't feature a robust autopilot.

I've seen videos of people moving their mouse cursor using their Headset, and then (I assume) clicking on stuff using a prebound button on their HOTAS.

How do I set this up?

I fly exclusively VR, and I had a Rift S for a year.

I find that the best combination for me is a mix of Hotas, VoiceAttack, Mouse clicking and even some keyboard. No single item in this list can do all the work.

Having a good hotas is essential. For VR, look at the control list, and examine the "UI Layer". For example, that is where you center your VR view - something you will have to do all the time .

Master VoiceAttack. It can carry a lot of weight. There is no way the hotas can carry all the weight. From simply saying "lower landing gear" to "center VR", make VoiceAttack your friend.

Although most of the keyboard is useless in VR, I find that a few buttons that I can do by feel come in very handy. For example, if I press the left cpontrol button down, and use the hat on my thottle, I can call up the kneeboard and navigate it. By using the left CTRL, shift or Alt button I can increase the capability of the hotas system.

Finally, I do use the mouse for some things. For example, reaching to turn a knob, especially if its something done infrequently. It just makes sense. But by assigning the most friequent commends to Hotas or VoiceAttack, mouse use is limited to those things that it would be silly to map - remember you're gonna have to remember all those mappings!

Just my 2 cents.

Guys thanks for the suggestions, but right now all I want is a way to get my mouse cursor (the blue cross I think I've seen it is) to appear in the center of my VR display, so I can bind a single button on my hotas as left-click, so I can look around and click on what Im looking at.

Can this be done, and if it can, where do I enable this?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes, as said above in the UI layer under control key assignments you'll find the virtual mouse key commands. In game settings you set the mouse to act as you wish. I've set mine up so the blue cross pops on with a first press of the HOTAS assigned mouse button, second press once over the desired switch does the deed. Using the scroll keys forward or reverse, you only need to put the cross over the cockpit rotary, click and hold, than doing a dragging motion looking away from the rotary will turn it as you wish.

Starting out with the VR view centered, using the mouse, place the mouse cross just below the HUD or gunsight than stow the mouse away. The cross disappears after a few seconds, it will always follow your head motion even when not visible, click any mouse assigned HOTAS button and it appears ready for action close to center view where your currently looking.

Yes, as said above in the UI layer under control key assignments you'll find the virtual mouse key commands. In game settings you set the mouse to act as you wish. I've set mine up so the blue cross pops on with a first press of the HOTAS assigned mouse button, second press once over the desired switch does the deed. Using the scroll keys forward or reverse, you only need to put the cross over the cockpit rotary, click and hold, than doing a dragging motion looking away from the rotary will turn it as you wish.

Starting out with the VR view centered, using the mouse, place the mouse cross just below the HUD or gunsight than stow the mouse away. The cross disappears after a few seconds, it will always follow your head motion even when not visible, click any mouse assigned HOTAS button and it appears ready for action close to center view where your currently looking.

This is exactly what Im looking for, thank you!

• 3 months later...