Exporting MFD will render bloom twice on display in cockpit

Jalava

Running latest DCS openbeta 2.5.6.54046

I was trying to figure out why my DDIs were different color at night and AMPCD was wayy too bright.

Then I realized, I had only Right ddi and AMPCD exported. Then I figured I'd just export LEFT_MFCD instead and now difference in brightness swapped over. I also tried to remove AMPCD export.

Here are three screenshots (cropped to show just the relevant parts, otherwise screenshots are exactly the same, including exports on the right side of screenshot):

First my initial setup RIGHT_MFCD and CENTER_MFCD exported to another monitor on right side.

RIGHT_CENTER_Exported.thumb.png.23f4f5b2cd38bb1da9cef56cf76beefa.png

Second RIGHT_MFCD is replaced with LEFT_MFCD

LEFT_CENTER_Exported.thumb.jpg.8da0e9075790a42c0918981aaa41feb8.jpg

Third with just RIGHT_MFCD (AMPCD not exported).

RIGHT_ONLY_Exported.thumb.jpg.11e118691c5dbf1fcf4f1f3a546f339c.jpg

So it looks like bloom is rendered twice on exported MFDs but in the cockpit and not on the exported textures?

Also including my monitor setup for reference (32:9 Ultra wide monitor with 1920x1080 screen on right side for MFDs).

1Camera_wide_MFCD.lua

Edit: Updated to current monitor setup with bug still existing with "aspect" removed from exports.

Edited by Jalava

Also including my monitor setup for reference (32:9 Ultra wide monitor with 1920x1080 screen on right side for MFDs).

[ATTACH]245957[/ATTACH]

Just curious, how come you have an aspect ratio on your exports? Seems like that makes them a viewport in and of themselves and not just a display that is exported to an alternate location?

I'm genuinely curious as I have not seen that anywhere else. I've attached my monitor config (3 27" 1080 monitors with a 4th 24" 1080 monitor for MPCD/MFD/DDI/AMPCD exports).

Ricks 3cameras_MFCDs_Right.lua

It's something I actually have forgotten there as I was trying to figure out one scaling issue with UI when I had my second screen under the main screen.

Looking at ViewportHandling.lua#set_full_viewport_coverage function, it will ignore the setting anyway.

My idea was to set aspect ratios for exports just in case it respects those when pixel aspect ratio differs between screens, but using width/height can be used to stretch the textures right anyway.

I haven't been able to confirm if this happens with other module MFDs, but I have confirmed it doesn't happen with A-10C, so at least it is not a generic DCS World Multimonitor issue.

Someone with F16 could probably try to confirm this as it is from same generation of modules and could have similar MFD rendering code used.

EDIT: Went and bought F-16C just to test this bug out, doesn't happen with F-16C either, Left and Right MFDs are same brightness regardless of if their displays are exported to second monitor or not. So it is a F/A-18C specific issue it seems

Edited by Jalava

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping to confirm this rendering issues still exists in DCS 2.5.6.55363 Open Beta

Adding a screenshot illustrating difference in brightness between exported and non-exported gauge (it should not render right ddi in almost yellow when in night mode) and what is being rendered on exported screen.

DSC_0325.thumb.JPG.c5fc8206111e61313769dfe6f0381df2.JPG

From the very beginning, there are problems with the export of the MFD in the F-18, letter size, line thickness, brightness. RWR export also leaves much to be desired. Without modifying the lua files, there is only a big green spot on the second monitor.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242801

Nothing has changed in over a year, even new problems have emerged. This is clearly of low priority.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting the same bug.  The problem isn't that the bloom at night is rendered twice, but seems to be down to the rendering intent (or purpose, as the DCS lua calls it).  When you export a DDI it changes the "purpose" of both the exported display AND the one in the cockpit.  What is supposed to happen is that only the exported display has different settings applied.  You can verify this by changing the brightness settings in:

mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Scripts/Multipurpose_Display_Group/common/indicator/BAKE/MPD_common_bake_init.lua and see which set of values are being use by each display.  

Edit: Added

Also of note - the way the DDIs are rendered changes based on the width and height of the DCS main view window.  By modifying "vewiportHandling.lua" and removing rendering purposes it's possible to get correctly rendered DDIs on EITHER your exports OR your in cockpit displays.  However, if you then swap from a vertical screen layout (one above the other) to a horizontal (side by side one) then all the displays (both in cockpit and exported) disappear.  Having spent about 14 hours now over 2 days trying yo chase this I can't make any sense of large parts of the lua that you can remove/edit and seemingly have no effect.  

The best current workaround I can find is to change lines 81 - 84 of ViewportHandling.lua to:

purposes                  = {--render_purpose.GENERAL,
                                --render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW,
                                --render_purpose.SCREENSPACE_OUTSIDE_COCKPIT}
                                render_purpose.SCREENSPACE_INSIDE_COCKPIT}

such that you only get your displays on you exported screen and not in the cockpit at all.  

Edited by Scaley

• 1 year later...