DCS Causing SteamVR Fail | Description, evidence and how to replicate

Stal2k

I’ve got this problem too, out of no where. It’s seems to happen when things get demanding (ie flying low over a city with my tgp on) all of a sudden mad cpu spikes, frame rate goes down the drain, then SVR crashes but DCS is still running, cue fireball and bad language.

Has anyone found a fix or did every one just jump over to OpenXR? I’d prefer to use SVR for now as the motion smoothing is a bit less aggressive.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello. 

I´ve got the same problem. Every time the DCS crashed in VR. It was easy replicate for me: 3 F14 Vs 3 Mig 21 in Syria map and supercarrier. My system in vr works perfectly in other vr games. All drivers updated. 

My specs: - i5 12600  - 32 Gb DDR5 - rtx 3080 - M2 2 TB-  Quest 2. After every crash the pc dosen´t respond and the PC needs a restart. Very frustrating because I love this game, but I hate it!! So I stopped play it for weeks until yesterday. 

Yesterday I got my new graphics card: the huge and expensive RTX 4090... the same mission, the same setup, the same PC (except the videocard) and no problem.... All works perfectly!!  What has happened? I think the problem is how the DCS manages the VRAM, like some one in this thread suggested.

Eagle Dynamics, thank you for all the work, please help us with it, I think There is a problem in VR with the VRAM. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been running into the exact symptoms described in this thread off and on over the years, with both SteamVR and OpenXR, with the Valve Index and most recently with the Reverb G2.

With DCS's OpenXR implementation however, the DCS log provides some useful information: the error is always associated with an extra long gc() event (garbage collection in the texture memory implementation?)

2023-04-02 06:49:33.829 INFO    EDTERRAINGRAPHICS41 (8012 surface5 gc() 11.225400 ms
2023-04-02 06:49:35.445 ERROR   VISUALIZER (8012 xrEndFrame failed with error: XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE

Edited by abelian