DirectX adapter for Brunner FFB Joystick ready

• 1 month later...

@Chuls Probably late to the party here, but I had a question about BrunnerDX and the Tomcat. Everything seems to be working fine, except that the Stick moves drastically forward in the Tomcat when I start a mission. It never starts out centered, not even in a cold and dark jet. I can adjust the Trim properly, but the Tomcats center postion is not the actual center position. Im overthinking it at this point probably, but I am kinda lost on the settings.

The Tomcat has a setting under Special called "Use FFB trim implementation" - what exactly is that and how does it interfere with the Brunner DX FFB?

Also, how exactly do the Brunner DX Trim options buttons interact with the Tomcat? I read so much in the forum that I honestly lost track and writing this to make sure I get it right 😉

Starting hot on the runway in the P51 for instance is perfectly fine. Stick centered, perfect FFB reactions, etc. But in the Tomcat the stick jumps forward, as soon as I hit "fly". (Again, no difference between a hot or cold jet)

Little more info after playing with it. When setting the Tomcat trim to 0 degrees (based on the trim indicator) the stick is physically forward about half its full deflecting.

Also, when activating the Autopilot Hold and then engage the autopilot, the stick moves slowly back and forth. Once i activate the actual autopilot with the nosewheel steering button, the stick act properly again. Uber confused...

Here is also a picture of the Tomcat trim being perfectly center and the stick being deflecting forward

Many thanks for any help already

Capture 3.PNG

Edited by tribundf

• 2 weeks later...

So I used the Arduino Mirco and Brunner DX which worked out very well for me. Yesterday I tried Brunner DirectX for the very first time, flying the hornet. The trim buttons did their job by trimming the airplane, but the stick remained centred. Using the Adruino I was used to the hardware trim which moved my stick to the trimmed position, which I like very much. So did I do something wrong using the Brunner DirectX method, or does it simply not support hardware trim? I switched back to Arduino and everything work perfectly again...

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Hardware trim is only (partially) useful when the normal trim does not work (normal CLS2SIM use).

The real  F/A-18 trim does not move the stick (just like the F-16 and Mirage 2000). So, the Brunner DirectX mode is working as intended.

… and BrunnerDX is no longer needed, although it is a very fine piece of software nevertheless.

Edited by Shrimp
Expanded content

9 hours ago, Shrimp said:

Hardware trim is only (partially) useful when the normal trim does not work (normal CLS2SIM use).

The real  F/A-18 trim does not move the stick (just like the F-16 and Mirage 2000). So, the Brunner DirectX mode is working as intended.

… and BrunnerDX is no longer needed, although it is a very fine piece of software nevertheless.

Thanks a lot - that explains it very good. So I will test Brunner DirectX with other Moduls to see if hardware trim is working there. No need to have it in the F18.

By the way - what force settings are you using in Brunner DirectX. Constant Force? Or Sinus? Or Spring? I am very confused, since (at least in the F18) I never felt quite a difference.

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Brunner in DirectX mode should work fine in all modules.

I haven’t tested it thoroughly to give you a definite answer.

I haven’t touched any of those settings yet.

Some modules (like the F-16, F/A-18 and Mirage 2000) can be used in CLS2Sim mode with a proper profile because the forces on the stick (in the real aircraft) do not change across all the flight envelope and the trim has no effect on the stick but only in the flight controls logic. If the CLS2SIM profile is done correctly (in these cases) my guess is that it outperforms the DirectX mode, but again I haven’t tested it yet mainly because I don’t have time and also because one needs to plug the devices in different ways (I have both the Brunner FFB stick base and the FFB rudder and they must be connected differently in CLS2SIM mode or DirectX mode) and I kind of ran out of USB ports.

With CLS-P (extremely expensive - prohibitively expensive) even the F-16 profile almost perfectly mimics the very little movement amplitude of the real F-16 stick with the proper forces and the Mirage 2000 extra (extra heavy) force required in the last 20% pitch up stick deflection that overrides the normal g limiter. It is near perfect.

Also in DirectX mode you may have to switch direction of the FFB effect in the axis settings inside DCS for it to work properly.

Some modules have better FFB implementation than others. Hopefully in the future all will be up to standard.