F-18 AG radar

cobragva

Hello,

I have a question. I am playing the Raven campaign and in mission 4, I need to find boats.

when I use the radar and lock the boats, the precision is absolutely crap. Not only the cursor looks like atari pong game but the worse is that lock is not even on the boat (it locks the ocean :-) ) . And of course, when I slave the tgp, It is rarely on the contact.

Is this reflecting reality or the F-18 AG capability is still at the beginning of its development ?

Sorry to ask, but I come from Falcon BMS and the precision on it is deadly so I am surprised

best,

Cobra

Is this reflecting reality or the F-18 AG capability is still at the beginning of its development ?

as TLTeo said, sea modes are not implemented yet. best you can do is map mode with gain set to maximum (data subpage). which is i assume what you are doing already.

that mission is a bit pain in the ass. dont forget to use markpoints to overfly mark ships when you check them so you dont get lost in which ships you have already visited and which not (like me).

Sorry to ask, but I come from Falcon BMS and the precision on it is deadly so I am surprised

AG radar in BMS is completely arcadish and has nothing to do with real behaviour. every vehicle is a bright spot from 30 miles away yet there is no background clutter, so you can perfectly clearly see columns inside cities (nonsense). it even sees through terrain :-) realistic AG radar simulation will be painfully underperforming compared to BMS' magic AG radar, so dont expect future sea modes to match it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Hello,

I have a question. I am playing the Raven campaign and in mission 4, I need to find boats.

when I use the radar and lock the boats, the precision is absolutely crap. Not only the cursor looks like atari pong game but the worse is that lock is not even on the boat (it locks the ocean :-) ) . And of course, when I slave the tgp, It is rarely on the contact.

best,

Cobra

If you haven't tried using the EXP modes of the AG radar, while trying to find your targets at sea - I'd encourage you to give it a try.

I found that once a return was received on the AG radar (in this case being the ship) - I'd maintain my offset, utilize the EXP 1 or 2, press and hold the TDC depress to "box" desired expanded area, then being able to clearly see the ship while in expand mode - TDC depress and hold, slew to center of ship and let go of TDC depress. Was pretty much bang on center of target each attempt.

To echo Buzz's input, might be worth you asking a moderator to move this to the Hornet sub forum, rather than remaining in the Viper sub forum - you might get more feedback from other tactics pilots are using or help.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria