R-27R against F/A-18 (possible) issue

Cmptohocah

Something I've noticed before but never really gave it much thought up until now: F/A-18 seems to be "immune" to R-27R missiles.

Let me explain what I mean by this.

I've noticed that I am having a really hard time taking down F/A-18 in particular from aspects and distances that would usually end up in a kill.

First time I got suspicious, was when one time on an online server an F/A-18 dodged 5-6 SAM missiles and my R-73, but initially I have accredited that to an excellent pilot in the seat. Then in the next encounter I had to come up really really close and get a kill with R-73. I have also accredited this to exceptional flying from the adversary. But this casual flying around the SAMs started emerging as a pattern for the F/A-18, so I got a bit more suspicious about this bird and the tracking issues with it.

Now after quite some time, it seems to me (I might be mistaking here, but hear me out please) that there is quite a problem with R-27R (possibly other missiles) tracking the Hornet. I the short TacView recording, one is able to see this weird behavior in action:

Basically with some mild maneuvering and chaff, two R-27Rs from my self and another person from my coalition both missed from roughly 10km (2nd R-27 [12:49:43]) distance and 9km distance (1st R-27 [12:49:14]). Please bare in mind that in both engagements the F/A-18 was above/co-alt both MiG-29s, so there should not be any ground filtering effects.

I also experienced problems of R-27T not getting launch warning when the R-73 already had them - that's some 10km distance, so I stopped using these all together. Again it was against, you guessed it, F/A-18.

Surely a pilot can't be expected to just lightly fly around dumping chaff and avoid a SARH missile, or am I wrong?

• Like 2

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Perhaps an online thing but, against AI F/A-18C Lot 20, I was 5 for 5. All were similar to the attached track. Launched from roughly 16-17 km for each kill. So it's not the F/A-18C itself, unless you're referencing one of the other F/A18s in the ME.

FA-18C Lot 20 vs R-27R.trk

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Perhaps an online thing but, against AI F/A-18C Lot 20, I was 5 for 5. All were similar to the attached track. Launched from roughly 16-17 km for each kill. So it's not the F/A-18C itself, unless you're referencing one of the other F/A18s in the ME.

Yes, I think you are right. It seems it's more of a R-27 tracking bug.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉