Wheel landing technique?

Hawkeye91

Currently there is no good way too. It simply will bounce to matter how soft you can put it down. It only doesn't if your under around 98mph. I haven't figured out how to front wheel land at that speed.

Hoping they figure it out. It took around a year for updates to the p51 to get that to wheel land well.

Currently there is no good way too. It simply will bounce to matter how soft you can put it down. It only doesn't if your under around 98mph. I haven't figured out how to front wheel land at that speed.

Hoping they figure it out. It took around a year for updates to the p51 to get that to wheel land well.

I did some reading on an article about wheel landing techniques and it said that cause of the bounce in a wheel landing isn’t from bouncing off the gear but from the tail dropping down after the main gears hit hard causing a pitch up. This is what seems to happen with the wheel landings in the p47 currently.

I did some reading on an article about wheel landing techniques and it said that cause of the bounce in a wheel landing isn’t from bouncing off the gear but from the tail dropping down after the main gears hit hard causing a pitch up. This is what seems to happen with the wheel landings in the p47 currently.

Exactly, only one thing what can be done is to reduce airspeed just before touch down.

My way of doing this landing and it is working with every warbird i fly in DCS, just before touch down i flare plane and hold it just couple of inches above ground and i let plane to slow down, as speed drop plane wants to sink so i counter it with elevator input until i have my elevator at max pitch up position or near it, then plane stalls but since i am couple of inches above ground it lands very nice in that way. There is one difficulty with this landing, and this is the feel of the plane, if you judge you height wrong you will drop like a rock :) or you will bounce if you flare too late.

Second critical part is throttle management, i tend to approach with a little surplus speed or height so i can cut throttle before flaring this way is faster, another way is to cut throttle after flaring, Idea is to not do to much things at the same time, this will make landing easier.

Reason why P-47 is so prone to bouncing is as fallow,

In other planes Like spit,p-51,fw-190 tail section is very light, most of it is just air but in P-47 in tail section we have whole turbo installation, with turbo it self, intercoolers are also in tail section, this weights a lot.

When you hit ground in p-47 tail will be pushed hard to the ground and if you touching down with speed above stall speed it will lift off again.

Here is my landing not perfect but good enough for me.

Standard loadout ammo full, fuel tanks full. After long mission with no ammo and low on fuel expect speeds be a little lower.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I normally do more or less the same too. In my case after flaring and holding it just above the ground and do not pull until I notice she wants to sink (subtle visual cues outside. In reality you feel it sinking with your pants) and then start pulling gradually.

Obviously, you need to get the "feeling" of how to much you need to pull. That also will depend on your speed (so the more consistent you are the better). Pulling too soon-too fast and you can lift. Pulling too late or too slowly and you will hit the ground and bounce.