Autorotation Video

I don't mean to sound like I'm kissing a.. but The game look fine to me, 10 time better that any other helicopter game I have seen out there. Any way very cool thanks

Ill second that.. it looks done.. just realese the darn thing ^^ :music_whistling: plz;)

• Like 1

It takes a fool to remain sane :huh:

Coaxial rotor helo has its own disadvantages while autorotating that are the reverse side of a medal of its counterrotating. One of them is yaw control.

Due to this reason you must not try to maintain normal rotor rpm because you can get lack of rudder or even rudder reversed. The flaring is harder to do because of the same reason and you have to apply collective as you begin to flare so rotor can not be accelerated while flaring. Otherwise you cannot prevent right yawing while the speed is bleeding.

I understand what you mean...to an extent. I don't really understand how the yaw control problems work out. At what speed do you keep the rotor in the KA-50 during autos? Single rotor birds also have a tremendous increase in rotor speed (without collective application) during the flare as well...so that appears the same. I hope someone can shed some light on this subject for me.

I understand what you mean...to an extent. I don't really understand how the yaw control problems work out. At what speed do you keep the rotor in the KA-50 during autos? Single rotor birds also have a tremendous increase in rotor speed (without collective application) during the flare as well...so that appears the same. I hope someone can shed some light on this subject for me.
It's because of how the yaw is induced in coaxials. The yaw is acquired by decreasing torque on one of rotors - for example the Gyrodyne drone had brakes at the ends of blades and Kamovs and Sikorsky change the pitch of both rotors (one is increased while other decreased) in that way the lift is constant, but torque is not. This leads to a serious problem - those rotors are big, and generate more force than a typical tail rotor. While on single rotor aircraft operating the pedals will cause RPM to drop - in coaxials this will happen much quicker. Plus the rotors have to be highly loaded to generate enough torque dissimilarity for turning the helicopter, that's why you need to apply more collective in low RPM situation to still have yaw controls.

Plus just adding the disturbence of flow in autorotation, where the air is going from underneeth, pasing one rotor, than another. I don't have chart on that, but it seems the coaxials need a bit higher descent rate to keep RPM of both rotors at optimum - this will result in lower glide rate, which is not great to begin with - for example glide rate of Bell 206 is 2:1, while "non-glideable" F-104 was better at 4:1.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

[...] Kamovs and Sikorsky change the pitch of both rotors (one is increased while other decreased) in that way the lift is constant, but torque is not.

Thats the way i imagined it to work, since its most obvious. Still, the angular velocity of both rotors stays the same, right?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

They don't have a choice, they are both connected via gearing in the main gearbox, so they both always spin at the same speed.

Yeah, i figured that much, i made a false assumption there. If the rotors were to be allowed to start spinning at differing speeds via differential gear it would counter the effect of different collective as the torque would stay the same, i guess.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

1 note to this discussion.

The term autorotation can be used equally amongst helicopters when discussing that maneuver. The difference is in HOW you do it.

All helicopters do not auto the same. A bell 206 you lower the collective while leveling the attitude just prior to touchdown.

A Huey, you decel aft cyclic around 50 ft, apply initial collective around 15 ft and constantly and gently increase collective holding it off the ground for a smooth touchdown.

The UH-60's cyclic decel is applied around 90 ft AGL and the collective is applied around 40 ft. AGL for cushion.

Now when you add european models with opposite turning rotors or this twin rotor model in this sim, different procedures must be followed.

Cobra Driver

Pugnare Fornicare Au Mort

This is crazy! I mean, crazy! I wouldn't like to do it in real at all.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

They aren't so bad, depending on the aircraft. Mi-8/17, for example, autos like a dream.

Same for Mi-24s:)

To touch down a 12-ton warbird after autorotation... another nice question of practice.

I heard about NFTC's Bell 206 autorotation training, they do it till the ground. But JetRangers are light helos (an owner showed me the main gearbox. Almost good for a tail gearbox on Mils:D He said there are differences...). I'm sure that practicing until-touchdown autorotation with Mi-8/17/24-sized helos reduces that army's fleet very fast:D

THX!

За всю историю никто и никогда не сумел завоевать Афганистан. Hикто и никогда