How new are the F-16C viper systems

captflyby

I need some help from someone knowledgeable regarding the DCS F-16C block 50 and the DCS FA-18C block ?

Comparing the overall technological capabilities of both aircraft, which one's systems are considered more advanced.

For example, the FA-18C has a moving map display, the F-16C does not. But that does not necessarily mean the F-16 is technologically older than the FA-18C.

Can someone with a technical understanding of these planes help me understand the differences.

I would like to move to a more technically advanced aircraft, with updated systems, less old school hard work in the cockpit ... so to speak.

I have a lot of experience with the FA-18C and I also own the F16C, but I don't want to put all the hard work into learning to fly the F-16 if in the end it ends of being older that the FA-18.

Thanks for your help.

The two are very comparable. Officially DCS models a USAF Viper from about 2007 and a USN Hornet from about 2005, so I suppose that would make the Viper slightly more modern. But really, the two are of essentially the same vintage. Moreover, both the F/A-18 and F-16 were originally born around the same time and out of the same program and with very similar broad design goals in mind. Both have seen a similar amount of in-service upgrades and both are modeled in their "C" versions, which entered service in 1984 for the Viper and 1987 for the Hornet. Both are a similar mix of 1970s technology and more modern upgrades. They're both excellent examples of a modern 4th generation multi-role strike fighter.

Given the fact the DCS F18 module is more complete, I would say if you want to start learning RIGHT NOW, start with the F18.

In the DCS F16 many systems are not functional, or not correctly implemented yet. What you end up with, will be bad habits, because a system you would use in real life is not yet modeled and you might work around that limitation.

But I am also used to the "other" simulator, and I know what will come to the DCS F16 at some unknown point in time.

If you ask what aircraft to learn after both are completed by ED, it will be just about personal taste.

I would say a fair comparison would be the question: What car should I learn to drive? An upper class Mercedes or upper class BMW ;) Both are comparable and great and it just comes down to personal taste. So will the F18 and the F16 be.

When completed, I would say, and this is just my personal opinion, look at it like that: How the systems present you data is more easy to read and to understand in the F18. How you use the systems instead is easier and more intuitive in the F16. In the F18 you will need to press a lot of MFD buttons and do setups before you drop an LGB for example. In the F16 you just press Hotas buttons on your stick and very little MFD buttons until an LGB comes off.

Besides usability I talked about, I am not really sure about technical capability. I but I think they are very, very comparable in what weapons they can carry etc.

I find that operating the systems are very different. The F-16 hotas logic makes more sense to me, than the hornet. To me it seems the A-10C is more towards the F-16 than the F-18. I'm a little bit biased, as i've flown the F-16 online since year 2000.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]