Important issue in this week's 4 new Training Missions

imacken

For any novice trying to use the recently added training missions, there is a real problem. Each one of the new ones makes the instructor text disappear whenever it is spoken. This makes it impossible to read what is required if you are looking at an instrument for a second or two, and you have no idea what to do to move on to the next instruction.

There is no consistency in the Viper TMs. There are now 4 different instructor voices, and different approaches to level of detail etc. The initial set - some by Wags - was good, with a good level of detail that the new Viper pilot could understand. And, most importantly, the instructor text remained onscreen until the spacebar was pressed.

Now, over many modules, I have seen different standards regarding the prompts to move on in TMs, but I have never seen anything quite as obstructive as the way it is done in the 4 new TMs released for the Viper this week. It really needs to be fixed, I would say. If that was done, they would be excellent additions to the growing set.

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

A bit disappointed that no one from ED has commented on this.

For new users, the way the text disappears sometimes before the instructor has finished speaking makes it next to impossible to use without repeating the mission over and over.

Looking at some of them again, they are not really TMs at all. The new ones are almost, here's your task, do it.

When you compare these to the Wags' earlier ones, and the ones he did for the Hornet, etc. There is just no comparison. They are proper TMs!

Allowing the text to stay on screen until Spacebar is pressed - the normal situation - would certainly help those new to the Viper a lot.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks. It's not for my use, but I feel this is a fundamental flaw in these new TMs. Not seen this behaviour before. New pilots will really struggle to use these.

Surely ED can simply edit them to make the text stay on-screen till space bar is pressed as is the norm.

Yes, it moves on when you do the task, but the point is, that the text disappears off the screen as soon as he has finished (sometimes slightly before) speaking. This make it sometimes impossible for the new pilot to know what to do. Remember, this is for new pilots, and just a glance down at an instrument - or to find an instrument - means you can easily miss the text. Then there is the inevitable restart mission.

The 'moving on' thing is also in other TMs, but it is normal for there to be a 'press spacebar' when ready, i.e. to move to the next instruction. Not always, but most of the time. There are other TMs where the text disappears after a while, but never so quickly as in these recent Viper TMs.

Anyone just needs to look at the Hornet, A-10C, Harrier or Mirage to see how it should be done. In fact, as I said above, the early Viper ones with Wags were excellent.

I completely agree with imacken. The new TM are great but for a new inexperienced pilot it is very helpful if the text remains. hitting pause certainly is a workaround but again, a bit more convenience for already overwhelmed pilots is always a good thing (I am such a pilot :) )

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Decibel dB said:

Completely agree I would had the voice over are too low and the wing man voice to high and speak over the instructors. The TM are painful on the Viper

Yep, and the CCRP one text is in Russian!

Tbh, too many things are so badly wrong with these Viper TMs, that there is no point in even mentioning it. It is not restricted to the Viper either. I have never seen a response from ED to any complaints about TMs.  Pity, as they are a very valuable resource for new pilots.  They used to be really excellent. Just look at the Warthog ones, for example.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

11 months later, the CCRP training mission is still in Russian...

On 5/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, imacken said:

Yep, and the CCRP one text is in Russian!

Tbh, too many things are so badly wrong with these Viper TMs, that there is no point in even mentioning it. It is not restricted to the Viper either. I have never seen a response from ED to any complaints about TMs.  Pity, as they are a very valuable resource for new pilots.  They used to be really excellent. Just look at the Warthog ones, for example.

11 months later the CCRP training mission text is still in Russian. 

• Like 1

Never trust a person who doesn't sort their M&Ms by color.

Yep, disappointing really. It seems that once TMs are 'done', then they are VERY rarely updated. As I said above, it's a pity as they are a valuable tool for users to learn their newly acquired module.