Question about tacan navigation HUD indication

sirrah

It appears that when in tacan navigation mode, there is no steering cue or symbol in the HUD.

Is this correct/realistic, or is it WIP maybe?

Compared to the rest of the 4th gen avionics, it seems a bit old fashion to me that the pilot is required to go heads down to check the HSI for this.

I would expect some indication in the HUD as well, just like we have in the Bug (see screenshot)

2020_12_09_09_44_58_F_A_18C_Foxit_Reader.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It seems that this is actually not a thing in the F-16.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I don't think it's a thing, based on other simulators. Honestly never missed it.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

It appears that when in tacan navigation mode, there is no steering cue or symbol in the HUD.

Is this correct/realistic, or is it WIP maybe?

Compared to the rest of the 4th gen avionics, it seems a bit old fashion to me that the pilot is required to go heads down to check the HSI for this.
I would expect some indication in the HUD as well, just like we have in the Bug (see screenshot)

2020_12_09_09_44_58_F_A_18C_Foxit_Reader.thumb.jpg.e9a22e13f55c592ddb6ea636b1b55b75.jpg
I believe the reason is based on the usefulness of the TACAN for the F16. The aircraft heavily relies on data cartridge pre-planning (still missing).

TACAN is used for:

A) Finding an airbase (not already marked by a steer point) if too lazy to set up as steer point or in case of navigation system failure/damage.

B) Finding a Tanker or any aircraft with a TACAN beacon on it.

C) Finding a carrier

So once you go towards TACAN source, you just go head down every 5/10 minutes to check alignment/distance.
In both cases (C is not applicable here) when you are reasonably close, TACAN is redundant as you can see your destination or tanker.

As any toy/update costs money, probably designers did not deem it worthy to include his TACAN reference in the man-machine interface.

Why is it available on the hornet? Carriers tend to move while at sea (C is applicable here), opposed to airbases which tend to remain where you left them, plus in nighttime condition it is important to have quick reference for carrier deck alignment.

Regards

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

Ok, fair enough 🙂

I actually use it a lot in the Hornet. Obviously for the carrier, but I find the HUD marking especially useful for finding tankers, which most of the times are out of visual range (might be a VR thing though)

I wonder if real F-16 pilots would consider this useful (perhaps not, because they never had it before 😛)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

41 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I wonder if real F-16 pilots would consider this useful (perhaps not, because they never had it before 😛)

TACAN is helpful when no precision approach are available on airfields (no ILS/no PAR). It allows to have an instruments approach even if minimums are higher than precision approaches.

Is also a backup for navigation/positioning in case of IRS/GPS issues.

TACAN steering on HUD ... not needed at all.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:07 PM, Rubberduck85 said:

I believe the reason is based on the usefulness of the TACAN for the F16. The aircraft heavily relies on data cartridge pre-planning (still missing).

TACAN is used for:

A) Finding an airbase (not already marked by a steer point) if too lazy to set up as steer point or in case of navigation system failure/damage.

B) Finding a Tanker or any aircraft with a TACAN beacon on it.

C) Finding a carrier

So once you go towards TACAN source, you just go head down every 5/10 minutes to check alignment/distance.
In both cases (C is not applicable here) when you are reasonably close, TACAN is redundant as you can see your destination or tanker.

As any toy/update costs money, probably designers did not deem it worthy to include his TACAN reference in the man-machine interface.

Why is it available on the hornet? Carriers tend to move while at sea (C is applicable here), opposed to airbases which tend to remain where you left them, plus in nighttime condition it is important to have quick reference for carrier deck alignment.

Regards

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

F-16: TACAN is primarily used for ranging, not direction finding (in VFR). Used in formations and for tanker rendezvous. Very few airplanes have tacan statinos, only DME, meaning most of the time you won't get directions.