Croatian MiG-21 fleet in desperate condition

Vekkinho

On Croatian Armed Forces day (28th May) pair of Croatian MiG-21bis (and single MiG-21UM flew over skies of Karlovac (city in central Croatia). During the general rehearsal over village of Turanski Goljani parts of Fishbeds vertical stabs fell from the sky. Debris was found couple hours later in a nearby corn field.

Guess our fleet is in desperate condition...

More info here (written by a layman), but in Croatian:

http://www.net.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/page/2008/05/30/0072006.html

Birds selected for display flight on 28th of May were inspected in ZTZ Velika Gorica on May 24th nad 25th and were in satisfing condition and declared operational for the occasion. Latter inspection of airframes that flew that day suggests a possibility of mid air collision of MiG-21bis and UM that may have happened during close formation flying. We MiG-21bis probably flew to close to UM's belly or exhaust nozzle, ripping it's own vertical stab tip! However no dents are visible on UM so I suppose a blast from the UM's engine blew the bis' tip off!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

one of the things i would like to see in LOMAC

or DCS? I would like that too, it's a very interesting aircraft.

I'm holding my thumbs, or crossing fingers, or what you say for Croatias Mig-21's not falling apart before there is a replacement. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

or DCS? I would like that too, it's a very interesting aircraft.

I'm holding my thumbs, or crossing fingers, or what you say for Croatias Mig-21's not falling apart before there is a replacement. :smilewink:

MiG-21 should be retired by 2010, sad thing is that most of the airframes will end up in a metal recycler instead of museums or pilot schools. We here in Croatia already have a term for what's gonna happen - "MiGocide"

Edit:

Planes supposed to replace MiG-21 are F-16 Falcon or JAS-39 Gripen, some opt for a newer MiG-29 types (M or SMT) but single engined fighter has greater chances in HRZ. It's 3 spare engines per airframe compared to 6 if it's a twin engine bird!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is sad, the museums should bid higher than the scrap yards.

I hope you go for the JAS-39 Gripen (I'm Swedish) but with politics involved it might not happen.

Howcome you have no JAS-39 listed in your DCS:wishlist signature?!! :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Howcome you have no JAS-39 listed in your DCS:wishlist signature?!! :smilewink:

lol, it's because I'm more into ground attack aircraft (and heli's since I saw the BS videos) and it -somehow- ended up outside the list, umm.. maybe I should squeeze it in there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We have one MiG-21 in Belgrade aero-museum. I got a picture of it.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

We have one MiG-21 in Belgrade aero-museum. I got a picture of it.

Yes, and it is still property of the air force... as are all other aircraft that use to be active in it.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Oh yes, it's not only 12 airplanes included in the Gripen deal but a licensing a bunch of spare Gripen (SAAB) parts for further production in Croatian factories and a Swedish way of producing energy from waste is also being negotiated.

BTW I'm glad U changed your sig!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Should be a pretty attractive deal then. I really hope it goes through, not only because it's Swedish but also because I very much prefer seeing European nations buy European hardware for more cooperation within and for a completely independent Europe.

There are so many I want to put on that list but of course Gripen should be on there!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ideally, you would buy a military equipment which would allow to locally manufacture parts for it. That way you open new jobs and you keep up with technology.

• Like 1

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Where is Zemunik? Zadar?

Now gents,

whats ur opinion of that little beauty "The unbeatable Gripen JAS-39N (Norway)"!!

I've seen that picture and there were several other's on the Internet. But now I can't find anything, just gone... This a/c is affordable, but I've doubts about the EF-2K.

Read that thread and ur heads gonna spin!!

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57677

tacit

E-3B Sentry --Don't leave without 'em--