'AI Transmit Message' command does not display on VR devices

Aarnoman

DCS Version: DCS 2.5.6.59625

Brief description of bug: The 'AI Transmit Message' command is a commonly used command to send radio messages from a specific unit on a specific frequency. Typically, it displays the message on the top left side of the screen. However, on VR devices, such text fails to display completly.

Expected behaviour: Text messages sent through the AI transmit message command should display on both normal screens and VR devices equally.

Why is this important: As the AI transmit message command is commonly used in many missions and campaigns, this bug breaks many missions/campaigns, both free and official paid campaigns for VR users. I therefore consider this a moderate to high priority issue.

To reproduce: (Example mission attached).

1) Create a mission with a player aircraft unit and a friendly AI ground unit.

2) Set the frequency of the player aircraft (255MHz used in example mission).

3) Use Set frequency command in friendly ground unit to set same freqency (255MHz in the example mission).

4) Create a Transmit Message command in the friendly AI unit. An audio beep was used in the example mission to confirm the message command was executed. Add a sample text message.

5) Create a trigger with a time more than command set to 15s or greater to allow mission to fully load. Use AI Set Task or AI Push task command to execute the transmit message command we set up for our AI unit.

6) Observe result:

a) On normal displays, the message beep will play and message displays in top left corner. (Refer to screenshot nonVR).

b) On VR devices, the message beep will play but text message WILL NOT display. (Refer to screenshot VR).

NonVR: Note the message displaying succesfully on the Left side of screen. ("beep boop: APC Ground-1 transmitting on 255.")

nonVR.png

VR: Note the message NOT displaying on left side of screen: (no "beep boop: APC Ground-1 transmitting on 255." is displayed this time, with same mission)

VR1.png

VR2.png

TransmitMessageTest.miz

Edited by Aarnoman
Clarification of images

• ED Team

Seems to be ok here, tested in open beta and our dev build

maybe a setting or mod creating an issue with the text? 

Screen_210104_104929.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

20 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Seems to be ok here, tested in open beta and our dev build

maybe a setting or mod creating an issue with the text? 

After further testing, I have identified the cause. When 'Subtitles' is disabled under Settings -> Audio, the AI transmit message command will not display. This resulted as my installs for Desktop and VR mode had checked/unchecked subtitles respectively.

Although likely not a bug, I do wonder if this is unintended for the AI transmit message command. Additionally, it would be nice if this impact could be clearly displayed in the Audio settings tab for subtitles, as it was my understanding that it would only disable subtitles for voiceovers in game (e.g. for any ATC or flight interactions), as users may inadvertantly break missions/campaigns through this setting unintentionally.

Thanks for your consideration.

• ED Team

Thanks for checking, as far as I am aware this is intended behaviour with the subtitles disabled. 

I will mention it to the team

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2