Aim-120 tracking and notching

TheAncientOne

Hello, 

So at the last open beta aim120 B and C are very easy to notch. Also their chaff resistance is basically non-existent. They pull too much lead and themselves put away from seeker cone. 

I don't even remember when i got shot down from aim120 in last patch. If you do a basic sliceback and notch the missile for a split second it looses track. 

Also it pulls so much lead to intercept course when it basically itself puts a target of its now 15 degrees fov cone. 

In reality, these missiles are pretty smart and now in DCS its easier to notch amraam than phoenix. 

Will supply tacviews in few hours for now you can take a look here https://m.twitch.tv/videos/867271647 ... So many notched missiles even when notch is very poor / even not a notch. 

The caster himself said notching is not accurate in this patch

Edited by TheAncientOne

• TheAncientOne changed the title to Aim-120 tracking and notching

Time 22:24 of the video: AIM-120C impacts the target that is almost 90 degrees aspect. Don't know if the F-18 was chaffing or flaring. This seems like a pretty good notch resistance to me.

Same thing at 01:16:14, target Bravo 1-2.

Edited by Cmptohocah

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

I've read that weirdly enough the client decides the hit in multiplayer.

Some clients seem to fire missiles that should be renamed missers, they don't track well, they usually don't hit, or when they hit the plane just flies on and is not affected.

For me usually my first flight works normal, but when i landed and rearmed i seem to be unable to get any hits.

When i watch the track i see the radar cursor moving but the radar is at a different range and the targets are not actually locked like i was was i was flying. then in the track i fire some maddog missiles which i NEVER do. Then i crash into the ground, don't know what idiot was flying in the track file but it sure wasn't me. :mad:

52 minutes ago, DoctorVixen said:

I've read that weirdly enough the client decides the hit in multiplayer.

Some clients seem to fire missiles that should be renamed missers, they don't track well, they usually don't hit, or when they hit the plane just flies on and is not affected.

For me usually my first flight works normal, but when i landed and rearmed i seem to be unable to get any hits.

When i watch the track i see the radar cursor moving but the radar is at a different range and the targets are not actually locked like i was was i was flying. then in the track i fire some maddog missiles which i NEVER do. Then i crash into the ground, don't know what idiot was flying in the track file but it sure wasn't me. :mad:

This is what happens if you play the trk file and speed it up. You have to watch it in real time or this is what happens. I do find sometime I can watch it in 2x and it doesn’t screw up.

didn't speed up the track file, but second time i played it it was ok. for some reason.

tacview really helped. some of my 100% should have hit...would have hit if the poor guy was not killed my someone else like .2 seconds earlier.....

Others had some sheer luck where there is some small obstakle in the way at exactly the right moment.

But i still think the missiles are way to easy to evade, i see mainly furballs on multiplayer where people shoot aim120's at close range. It's not a realistic result, close up dogfights in jets are not the majority of fights in reality it's mostly bvr and bvr kills. in dcs bvr means you're not close enough to fire that aim120c to get a hit...if these dcs missiles where real i doubt u get payed $350.000 per missille. i fired six, several at mach1.3 within mar, where the missile will track right when it comes from the rail...in reality a very scary missile within those parameters. these missiles can be trashed most of the time. whereas in reality i think you would not trash it most of the time...it's possible but should be darn hard...

Edited by DoctorVixen

17 hours ago, DCS FIGHTER PILOT said:

I just posted about this myself. The other day in multiplayer, I fired on a guy at 35000ft with an Aim-120C and all he had to do to spoof it was turn away from the missile and pop a few bundles of chaff. 

Did the missile go active?

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉