[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - July 2023 (updated)

jonsky7

IMPORTANT - THIS GUIDE IS SPLIT OVER TWO POSTS,
YOU MUST APPLY STEP 4 IN THE SECOND POST.

Here is my attempt at explaining how to get DCS running with a main view, and MFCDs exported to a second or third display.

I also believe following this guide in the same order as the steps provided will reduce frustration and problems. 

Step 1. - Configure your monitors correctly in Windows

You must first make sure that your monitors are correctly configured in Windows Display Settings, right click anywhere on your desktop and select display settings

1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may setup your monitors in the display settings to be side by side or stacked one above the other. 

MAKING YOUR  LEFT MONITOR THE MAIN MONITOR WILL ELIMINATE MANY POTENTIAL PROBLEMS
without some special coding, DCS will count your main monitor as the starting point for all the code.

Note:
You do not have to set up your displays in windows the same as you physically have your monitors setup on your desk. 
All this does is change how your mouse pointer moves from one screen to the next. For example, my monitor (2) below, is physically under my monitor (1). To get my mouse pointer onto monitor (2), I have to move it off the right edge of (1), then off the right edge of (3), instead of off the bottom of (1)

Some issues with exporting the FA-18 MFCDs are reported to be because the vertical resolution exceeds 1440 pixels.

I have also found that having a display in the bottom right is better due to the placement of some DCS "screens", the HUEY crew display and NS430 GPS pop out window for example. This issue mainly arises if your monitors have different resolutions, or are stacked in Display Settings.

2.jpg

This is my setup, I have a 27inch 1440p as my main monitor (1), a 24inch 1080p monitor (3) and a 11inch 1080p monitor (2)

4.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure your main monitor has the Make this my main monitor check box ticked, and

all of your displays have Extend desktop to this display selected in the drop down box

3.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The display edges must be perfectly aligned to aid with exported display positioning, drag both your main monitor and other monitors around until the edges are perfectly aligned.

mon6.jpg

They don't have to be perfectly aligned, but it certainly helps when trying to position your exported displays later on, and figuring out your total resolution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2. - Calculate your in game resolution

Your in game resolution is calculated by adding up all of your screen resolutions.
edit, or at least the screens you want DCS to use as gaming space

For me, my in-game resolution is 6400x1440

2560+1920+1920=6400

1440 is my tallest monitor in pixels

5.jpg

Some other examples

A 1440p panel and a 1080p panel 3640x1440

6.jpg

Two 1080p panels 3840x1080

8.jpg

A 1080p and one 1024x768 7" display 1920x1848

7.jpg

a 1080p panel and 2 lilliput displays  1920x1680

9.jpg

Hold onto to that number for now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Configure a DCS monitor setup file

We now need to configure a monitor setup file.
Notepad++ is a free editing tool and can be downloaded here
 https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/
Some issues have been reported while editing .lua files with Windows Notepad

The files are located in two locations.

The default monitor config files are located: eg
C:/Program files/DCS World/Config/MonitorSetup
note: these files may be overwritten during updates or repair

Your personal monitor config files are located:
Saved Games/DCS/Config/MonitorSetup
note: these are NOT overwritten during updates or repair
"Windows Saved Game" folder can be found by searching for Saved Games in the start menu search function.

The default files are set to be semi-automatic. I don't find them to be much use personally.  For example, Camera+LMFCD will fill your second screen with the Left MFCD, but it probably won't have the correct proportions.

I'm going to explain the way I do it, which I think is easier to understand.

If you don't yet have the folder

Saved Games/DCS/Config/MonitorSetup/

I suggest you create it.
I have included a very basic monitor config .lua file here --------------------------> My testing config.lua
It is based on a two monitor configuration, both with 2560x1440 resolution

So lets have a look at a monitor setup file: 

First, I suggest you change the name inside the file to something memorable. (line 2) This is the name shown within the DCS settings menu.

DCS uses a system of "Viewports", and Viewports are basically "windows" within DCS.
In the monitor setup file, we tell DCS where to put the Viewports, and what size they should be.

When we give a Viewport a position, we are telling DCS where the top left corner of that viewport will be. The x and y coordinates.
To set the size we use the width and height settings.

DCS works on a left to right system for x in pixels,
and it works on a top to bottom system for y in pixels.

config.jpg

Breaking down the above example:

The Center viewport is:

x = 0 ---- this describes where we want the left edge of the viewport to be, in this case zero, it will be all the way to the left
Y = 0 ---- this describes where we want the top edge of the viewport to be, in this case zero, it will be at the top.
width = 2560 ----it will be 2560 pixels wide, counting from the left
height = 1440 ---- it will be 1440 tall, counting from the top
viewDx and viewDy are offsets used when you want to split up the cockpit view over many monitors, not covered in this MFD guide.
Aspect = 2560/1440 ---- This is simply width divided by height.

the Left MFCD is
x = 2560 ---- 2560 pixels from the far left of the total resolution, this will put it on the left edge of the second monitor
y = 60 ---- 60 pixels from the top, from the top of the very top left corner of the entire resolution
width = 825 it will be a 825 pixels wide
height =825  and 825 pixels tall, making a square.

the Right MFCD is
x = 3385 ---- 3385 pixels from the far left of the total resolution, this will put it 825 pixels in from the left edge of the second monitor  
2560+825=3385 which in this case will be touching the Left MFCD
y = 60 ---- 60 pixels from the top, from the top of the very top left corner of the entire resolution
width = 825 it will be a 825 pixels wide
height =825  and 825 pixels tall, making a square.

UIMainView and GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT
The UIMainView is normally equal to viewports.center. That should be fine, but, I have seen multiple people with the issue of the Comms menu not being confined to the main screen, or the controls indicators are weirdly placed, or the F10 mouse pointer has some sort of offset (made be a cubesim only issue?), or the gunsights in combined arms vehicles are split across screens.
By manually setting the parameters of the UIMainView and adding the GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT, and setting them both to the same as your main view, at least some of the issues are fixed.

This diagram shows how that works out

Although monitors have bezels, there is no pixel gap, the next screen is the next pixel.

12.jpg

The GREEN shows the total resolution, the numbers we use for DCS
The DARK GREY box is the center view. 2560x1440
The BLUE is the MFCDs
The RED is the individual screen resolutions

Lets have a look at another example when using monitors with different resolutions. This is my setup.

13.jpg

so for me, above, my center viewport is:

x = 0 ---- this describes where we want the left edge of the viewport to be, in this case zero, I want it to be all the way to the left
Y = 0 ---- this describes where we want the top edge of the viewport to be , in this case zero, I want it to be at the top.
width = 2560 ---- I want it to cover my whole main monitor screen, left to right
height = 1440 ---- I want it to cover my whole main monitor screen, top to bottom
viewDx and viewDy are offsets used when you want to split up the cockpit view over many monitors, not covered in this MFD guide.
Aspect = 6400/1440

my Left MFCD is
x = 4490 ---- 4490 pixels from the far left, this is because my main screen is 2560, the next screen is 1920, and I want it to be on my third screen, but 10 pixels in from the edge, 2560+1920+10 = 4490
y = 360 ---- 360 pixels from the top, this is because my main screen is 1440 pixels tall, but my third screen is only 1080, and the top of third screen is 360 pixels below the top of my main screen. 1440-1080=360
width = 825 how wide I want my MFD to be in pixels from left to right
height = 825 how tall I want my MFD to be in pixels from top to bottom

my Right MFCD is
x =5570 ---- 5570 pixels from the far left, this is because my main screen is 2560, the next screen is 1920, and I want it to be on my third screen, but 1090 pixels in from the edge, 2560+1920+1090 = 5570
y = 360 ---- 360 pixels from the top, this is because my main screen is 1440 pixels tall, but my third screen is only 1080, and the top of third screen is 360 pixels below the top of my main screen. 1440-1080=360

Alternatively you can specify x and y like this

take my Right MFCD for example

x = 2560+1920+1090 ---- 5570 pixels from the far left, this is because my main screen is 2560, the next screen is 1920, and I want it to be on my third screen, but 1090 pixels in from the edge, 5570=2560+1920+1090

This small program can help with finding coordinates, thanks @Pipe
You can drag the window around and resize it, and it will report the position and size of the window, very handy.

http://breakthrusoftware.com/html/onlinedocs/kb/installkb/ScreenCoordTool.html
screen.jpg

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

4. Enter the resolution into DCS and choose your config file

Open DCS and enter the total calculated resolution into the settings window,
Your resolution may not be in the drop down list, try the very bottom of the list. If not, you can just type it in the box

Choose your config file, this is the name given in the code of the config file, and NOT the filename of the config file

Also, uncheck Full Screen, this prevents DCS from starting squashed onto one monitor.

When you click OK, DCS will restart.

image.jpeg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known Issues

Like mentioned earlier, I find it best to align your monitors at the bottom edge.

If your monitors are different resolutions like mine are, then there's no avoiding that there is some un-displayable space that DCS might still use. It is part of the resolution, but there is physically no screen there to display it. eg.

undisplayed.jpg

If DCS aligns any of the auxiliary displays, like controls indicators, crew status windows, IFLOLS pop up, NS430 window etc, to the top right of the resolution, and are within the undisplayed space, then even though they have opened you won't be able to see or interact with them.

Likewise if you align your monitors in windows to the top edge, any of the auxiliary displays that start in the bottom right will be un-seen.

Some of the start positions of these displays can be moved, but it is more complicated than the process for exporting an MFCD.
More of these windows are aligned to the bottom right of the resolution than they are top right.
Maybe one day ED will give us option to choose where these displays appear, here's hoping. null

Some of the auxiliary displays are movable and remember where you left them. 

If a display is missing, you can temporarily move the monitor in windows display settings, go back into DCS, grab and move the indicator to your main screen, then put the monitor back where it was in display settings so as not to mess up your config.

For example

IFLOLS initially aligned to top right and in undisplayed space.

15.jpg

Move display in Windows, Run DCS, drag IFLOLS display to main monitor, exit DCS

16.jpg

Move display back to original position in Windows, Run DCS, IFLOLS display should be on main monitor where you left it.

17.jpg

Fullscreen Squash

If you wish, you can still run DCS in fullscreen mode.

However, you may find that when you start DCS, it is all squashed onto your Main monitor.

To get round this, simply left click anywhere on your secondary monitor and DCS will resize correctly.
Pressing LeftALT+Enter is reported to also work.
I personally see no benefit in framerate etc running in fullscreen mode.

18.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing the default opening position of the kneeboard

The kneeboard by default opens in the bottom right corner, that's fine when you are only using a single monitor. Now you've added multiple monitors, it will open in the bottom right of your "game resolution" as described above. This may be on a smaller screen that you're using for MFD's, with TM Cougars etc. 
You can live with it sure, as you can drag the kneeboard around now it's not so bad.
If however you play DCS often, you may get tired of doing this. Below is a mod that allows you to specify the location that the kneeboard will open in, and what size it will be. It works for most aircraft modules, however it does not work for Razbam's AV8BNA and Mirage 2000C. Razbam are using their own kneeboard it seems, most other aircraft use the default DCS kneeboard.    

This zip file contains some mod files, you can either use a mod manager like OVGME, or copy them manually into
DCS World\Scripts\  --The main DCS install directory, eg C:\Program Files\DCS World\Scripts......   NOT "saved games"

Kneeboard.zip

Below is the same mod files, updated for open.beta 2.8.2.35759

Kneeboard2.zip

The Mod adds 3 files, IT DOES NOT REPLACE ANY ORIGINAL FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Though their filenames are very similar !!!!!!!!!!

Whichever method you choose check the folders to make sure the files have copied correctly.
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\
should contain the file
ViewportHandling-resize.lua
and ViewportHandling.lua should remain

viewporthandlingresize.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\KNEEBOARD
should contain the file
declare_kneeboard_device2.lua
and declare_kneeboard_device.lua should remain

kneeboard.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and 
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\KNEEBOARD\indicator
should now contain the file
init2.lua
and init.lua should remain

indicator.jpg

For the next steps you will need notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

Go back to 
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\
and open the file
ViewportHandling-resize.lua     <--- NOTE the -resize in filename!!

This is where will configure where we want the kneeboard to open.
Line 33 says 
    dedicated_viewport = {0,0,default_width,default_height}

This is already modified in the above download and will open the kneeboard on the top left at the default size.

You can however replace all the text with numbers, eg:
dedicated_viewport = {1000,360,600,800}

where
dedicated_viewport = {position-X coordinate, position-Y coordinate, width in pixels, height in pixels}
much like configuring your MFDs, see above MFD export guide!

The original line reads dedicated_viewport = {default_x,default_y,default_width,default_height}

viewporthandlingresize1.jpg

We now need to change the aircraft files to look for the newly installed mod files above. The easiest way is to use notepad++ to do this automatically.

Open notepad++
Click on the Search button
Click on Find in files

note1.jpg

Enter the following, make sure to copy the entry listed in bold in full including quotation marks and brackets:
Find what: "KNEEBOARD/declare_kneeboard_device.lua")
Replace with: "KNEEBOARD/declare_kneeboard_device2.lua")
Filters: *.lua
Directory: G:\DCS World\Mods\aircraft     (you will have to change this to your install directory)

edit: some aircraft have a space in the line 
dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."KNEEBOARD/declare_kneeboard_device2.lua")
and some do not, so this instruction is slightly different to the one included in the text file that is in the zip file.

note2.jpg

Click on "Replace in files" and click OK

note3.jpg

Notepad++ will replace the text in all of your installed aircraft files

note4.jpg

When complete, the number here should be pretty much how many aircraft you have installed.

note5.jpg

On the next DCS update, you should only have to do the steps to replace the text in the aircraft files.

Advanced editing by aircraft type,

Thanks to @scrupeus For this information and example.

It is currently possible (29-July-2023) to set up your exports to be aircraft specific.
What does that mean?
Well you may want your MFCDs exports to be a different configuration for different aircraft.

example, you fill a screen with two MFCDs for the A10C, but you want to fit three MFCDs on that screen for the FA-18 or Apache.

This method will also pass integrity check, as long as you use the default exports as listed below, and don't add other exports like the RWR which are not enabled by default.

Default MFCD Export names

A-10C, A-10C_2
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD

AH64-D 
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, TEDAC or CENTER_MFCD
An entry for TEDAC in your monitor config file takes priority over a CENTER_MFCD entry, so if you have both, the TEDAC will be shown in the TEDAC position.

AV8BNA
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD

F-5
RIGHT_MFCD

F-14
F14_VDI,                   F14_HSD,                F14_TID,                  F14_DDD,               F14_ECMD,                                    F14_UHF_ARC159, F14_VHF_ARC182
Pilot upper display, Pilot lower display, RIO lower display, RIO upper display, RIO right display (by right knee), Radio Freq displays x2

F-15E
Front Seat
LEFT_MFCD, CENTER_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, UFC.
Back Seat
OUTER_LEFT_MFCD, LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, OUTER_RIGHT_MFCD, UFC.

F-16 
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, EHSI

FA-18 
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, CENTER_MFCD

JF-17
JF17_LEFT_MFCD, JF17_RIGHT_MFCD, JF17_CENTER_MFCD, JF17_CLOCK_WIN1, JF17_CLOCK_WIN2, JF17_RADIO, JF17_UFCP_1, JF17_UFCP_2, JF17_UFCP_3, JF17_UFCP_4
or
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD, CENTER_MFCD, CLOCK_WIN1, CLOCK_WIN2, RADIO, UFCP_1, UFCP_2, UFCP_3, UFCP_4
(if you have JF17_LEFT_MFCD defined in your config file, the LEFT MFCD of the JEFF will be displayed in that position, otherwise it will be shown in the LEFT_MFCD position.
The upper line here takes priority over the lower line, this enables you to have the display export a different size or location to the LEFT_MFCD position, helpful because the JEFF screens are not square.)

Ka-50 and Ka-50_3
Shkval, ABRIS
or
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD
(again, if you define ABRIS in your config file, the ABRIS will be shown in that position, otherwise it will be displayed in the RIGHT_MFCD position.)

M-2000C
VTB displays in RIGHT_MFCD position

MIG-21bis
RP22 or RIGHT_MFCD

FC3
LEFT_MFCD, RIGHT_MFCD (can not be changed)

We do this by adding a function to our monitor config files. The function "listens" to DCS for the unit type (aircraft being flown), and sets up the exports depending on the unit type.
We add an "else" function towards the end to allow for a default location for the exports. 
If you do not specify a particular aircraft for reconfiguration, it's exports will be shown in the "else" location

function reconfigure_for_unit(unit_type)
     if unit_type == "A-10C_2" then

LEFT, RIGHT, etc

elseif unit_type == "AH-64D_BLK_II" then

LEFT, RIGHT, TEDAC etc

else

LEFT, RIGHT, etc

end

Example config file

_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('my export config');
Description = 'exports by aircraft type';
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 2560/1440;
}
}

--/////////////////////////////////////
--A10C

function reconfigure_for_unit(unit_type) 

if unit_type == "A-10C" then

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

--AH64D

elseif unit_type == "AH-64D_BLK_II" then

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

TEDAC =
{
x = 2560;
y = 280;
width = 1620;
height = 1400;
}

--///////////////////////////////////////
--Flaming Cliffs
--///////////////////////////////////////

else

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 2560;
y = 360;
width = 1720;
height = 1080;
}
end
end

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

--UIMainView = Viewports.Center
UIMainView = 
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

In the above example, the A10C and the Apache have defined MFCD export locations, and any other aircraft's MFCD export will be shown in the "else" location 

This is a list of the unit types

A-10A
A-10C
A-10C_2
AH-64D_BLK_II
AJS37
AV8BNA
F-14A-135-GR
F-14B
F-15C
F-15ESE 
F-16C_50
FA-18C_hornet
Hercules (Hercules Mod)
JF-17
Ka-50
Ka-50_3
L-39
L-39C
L-39ZA
M-2000C
Mi-8MT
Mi-24P
MiG-21Bis
MiG-29
P-51D
P-51D-30-NA
SA342
SA342L
SA342M
SA342Mistral
SA342Minigun
Su-25
Su-25T
Su-27
Su-33
TF-51D
UH-1H

Cheers

Jon

14.jpg

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I tried getting this to work all day but failed,

So I am running a main 2560x1440p 32" monitor and I would like to use the dcs moving map or something on my 2nd monitor to the left of my main screen which is a 1600x900 22"

I did setup screen in dcs to 4160x1440 which was 2560+1600 added up to 4160 and then my main screen height.

I played around with settings in lua but often the screen would be cut and I would have to ctrl-alt-del to get out and reset the config file because the buttons were cut from view.

I tried the default .lua set up for camera and mfd as well but did'nt work.

Does anyone have a simple .lua file for 2 screens in my sizes together? thanks in advance.

Edited by minar

9 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

The problem you have is that your second screen is to the left of your main display.

DCS does not like that!

It seems to be working with the default .lua file which clearly states monitor on leftside so thts clearly not a problem anymore, I just would like to tweak it to get a f10 moving map on that 2nd screen.

Edited by minar

I tried getting this to work all day but failed,

So I am running a main 2560x1440p 32" monitor and I would like to use the dcs moving map or something on my 2nd monitor to the left of my main screen which is a 1600x900 22"

I did setup screen in dcs to 4160x1440 which was 2560+1600 added up to 4160 and then my main screen height.

I played around with settings in lua but often the screen would be cut and I would have to ctrl-alt-del to get out and reset the config file because the buttons were cut from view.

I tried the default .lua set up for camera and mfd as well but did'nt work.

Does anyone have a simple .lua file for 2 screens in my sizes together? thanks in advance.

It's not really possible to setup the config to display anything left of the main screen.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, minar said:

It seems to be working with the default .lua file which clearly states monitor on leftside so thts clearly not a problem anymore, I just would like to tweak it to get a f10 moving map on that 2nd screen.

There are some config files that do put stuff on the monitor left of the main screen yes, but they use "special" code. As far as I can tell if you use this code you can no longer configure your setup. For example if you use the one that puts the camera on the right, and an MFD on the left, you can't change any of the parameters of that MFD, that MFD will fill the whole left screen.

And you can't have the map or an external view and the cockpit view at the same time unfortunately.

Edited by jonsky7
merging replies due to moving posts for tidiness

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Inked7680_LI.jpg

Is there a way to move the upper left text to the middle? DCS 7680x2520 is currently running. So I want to display the text on the middle monitor. (2560x0)

Thanks

Edited by Spger40

On 4/11/2021 at 9:35 PM, Spger40 said:

Hello,

Inked7680_LI.jpg

Is there a way to move the upper left text to the middle? DCS 7680x2520 is currently running. So I want to display the text on the middle monitor. (2560x0)

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know how to do that, or even if you can do that.

EDIT:
The entry UIMainView = Viewports.Center in the monitor config file, declares the position of the User interface. This controls the position of the Main Menu, the mission editor, and also the boundaries of the UI within the cockpit. So if we restrict those boundaries to your centre monitor, the comms messages should stay on your centre monitor too.

So we can replace  UIMainView = Viewports.Center
with

UIMainView =
{
x = 2560;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

I think these values will be correct for your setup.

Edited by jonsky7
adding correct answer to previous post

Thanks for this guide, I had my F16 set up running in less than hour. Second display setup to the right lower position.

I also used this http://www.breakthrusoftware.com/downloads/Utils/ScreenCoord.exe  to find desired coordinates.

I did find that the DED, and RWR do not seem to export, EHSI however did export to where I wanted it.

Also I tried to make a new lua. file for the F18 with 2 MFD, MPCD, this file does not show up in the setup screen?

Should I have just modified one of the existing files?

Thanks again for the guide 🙂

• Like 1

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

On 4/17/2021 at 4:57 AM, Pipe said:

Thanks for this guide, I had my F16 set up running in less than hour. Second display setup to the right lower position.

I also used this http://www.breakthrusoftware.com/downloads/Utils/ScreenCoord.exe  to find desired coordinates.

I did find that the DED, and RWR do not seem to export, EHSI however did export to where I wanted it.

Also I tried to make a new lua. file for the F18 with 2 MFD, MPCD, this file does not show up in the setup screen?

Should I have just modified one of the existing files?

Thanks again for the guide 🙂

You're very welcome, glad you found it useful. That tool is pretty sweet too 👍

As for your F18 lua, you can use the same file as your F16, the F18 MPCD is called "CENTER_MFCD"

If you want a separate file, Make sure you save it in 
saved games\DCS\Config\Monitorsetup
Make sure it has an individual filename, and make sure the name in the code is unique.

Alternatively, what I do, is rename the viewports in their respective lua's, and my monitor config file has separate entries for each aircraft.
For example the F16 left MFD is 

%%%\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\Displays\MFD\indicator\MFD_left_init.lua

Near the bottom of the code you will find
try_find_assigned_viewport("LEFT_MFCD")
and I change it to
try_find_assigned_viewport("F16_LEFT_MFCD")

I have included my modded files they are OvGME ready and pass integrity check, and my monitor config file if you care to have a look.
You will need to modify the co-ordinates to suit you of course.

I have another guide for RWR's etc

Display Exports.zip

Edited by jonsky7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent guide, many thanks!

I was also able to show the AMPCD (aka "CENTER_MFCD") in the bottom left of my single monitor.

Unfortunately it seems that multiple "viewports" shown at the same monitor are not clearly visible as these will be shown like transparent overlays 🙁 (e.g. center view is shining through).

From another forum page try changing line 52 in the file

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\BAKE\MPD_common_bake_page.lua
from 
HUD_only_back.controllers          = {{"render_purpose", render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}}
to
--HUD_only_back.controllers          = {{"render_purpose", render_purpose.HUD_ONLY_VIEW}}

unfortunately, he hasn't said what was in line 52, but that is what is at line 52 for me now. Won't hurt to give it a try.

Edited by jonsky7

• 2 months later...

Thank you for a clear write up. I did read however that many people are having an issue with their exported displays being too dark.

How did you get around that issue? 

Also, I dont understand why people use Helios. Does it do something else?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

On 10/26/2021 at 2:38 AM, skypickle said:

Thank you for a clear write up. I did read however that many people are having an issue with their exported displays being too dark.

How did you get around that issue? 

Also, I dont understand why people use Helios. Does it do something else?

Haven't really gotten around the issue, just live with it for now. You can play around with the gain and contrast controls on the MFCD to make it a bit better. The map at night is the worst, so I just turn it off.

Helios can replicate the analogue gauges to be placed on your second monitor. You can't do that from dcs alone. Only the digital displays can be exported from within DCS.

It also does switches that can be controlled with a touchscreen or similar and it interfaces with DCS.

Edited by jonsky7

2 hours ago, skypickle said:

can the cdu be exported as well from within DCS or would you recommend helios?

The cdu screen can yeah. 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/258735-how-to-export-displays-like-rwr-and-cmsp-set-up-guide-jan-2021/?tab=comments#comment-4807145

But if you want the whole unit with buttons, you will need helios.

Edited by jonsky7

Was having a horrible time trying to do this on my own, at one point I even lost the F/A-18 model, and was just floating through the sky looking at superimposed displays and HUD. Then I found your post, downloaded the file you provided, edited it to meet my needs, and voila! Working as intended!

The only issue I'm having is with the kneeboard export. I'm trying to have it appear on my left monitor (my setup from left to right is 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 800x600 (CubeSim). I input values for the export of the kneeboard to appear on the left monitor, but it keeps popping up at the bottom of my CubeSim screen. Not a deal breaker, because I can still click and drag it over to the left monitor, just takes some extra time, and I haven't even tested it with the IFLOLS yet, so that could end up being the same. Any advice?

2 hours ago, AngryEchoSix said:

Was having a horrible time trying to do this on my own, at one point I even lost the F/A-18 model, and was just floating through the sky looking at superimposed displays and HUD. Then I found your post, downloaded the file you provided, edited it to meet my needs, and voila! Working as intended!

The only issue I'm having is with the kneeboard export. I'm trying to have it appear on my left monitor (my setup from left to right is 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 800x600 (CubeSim). I input values for the export of the kneeboard to appear on the left monitor, but it keeps popping up at the bottom of my CubeSim screen. Not a deal breaker, because I can still click and drag it over to the left monitor, just takes some extra time, and I haven't even tested it with the IFLOLS yet, so that could end up being the same. Any advice?

Yes, sorry, I should have removed the kneeboard part from the screenshot as that method no longer seems to work.

There is another method which I use, it requires a bit of editing of some lua files, it can be a bit of a pain to maintain during updates as it modifies the device_init.lua file of each aircraft (basically the file that describes all the devices in an aircraft, like radar etc). So even with a mod manager, you still have check nothing else has changed in the file after DCS updates, but this can made easier with a plugin for notepad++ called compare. This allows you to open the original game file, then the modified file, click compare and it shows you where all the differences in the files are. There is also another, probably easier method, using notepad++ which is described in the readme, and indeed the original post. 

So this isn't my mod, but I have packaged it up, it has a readme for instructions. It is ovgme ready. You will need to make some adjustments for your setup.

Kneeboard.zip

As for the IFLOLS, that does seem to save it's position IIRC, I think I only moved it once using the method I described in the guide.

The original post for the kneeboard move can be found here, drop a like or thanks if its useful to you.

• Thanks 1

I decided to just click and drag my Kneeboard over to my left monitor during startup, takes 2 seconds and then I can forget about it, easy day. Thank you though for the information on the Kneeboard mod, much appreciated. 

Not sure if you have encountered this issue though - Now that my exports are working as desired, my mission editor is now borked in the sense that where a unit is placed and my cursor aren't aligned. Clicking to place a unit and where the mouse cursor actually is on screen is about a 4 inch gap. Not sure what could be causing this, but it wasn't happening prior to the screen exports. There is also a giant blue "wall" off to the right side of the screen that is unusable space. 

Mission Editor Woes.png

On 10/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, AngryEchoSix said:

I decided to just click and drag my Kneeboard over to my left monitor during startup, takes 2 seconds and then I can forget about it, easy day. Thank you though for the information on the Kneeboard mod, much appreciated. 

Not sure if you have encountered this issue though - Now that my exports are working as desired, my mission editor is now borked in the sense that where a unit is placed and my cursor aren't aligned. Clicking to place a unit and where the mouse cursor actually is on screen is about a 4 inch gap. Not sure what could be causing this, but it wasn't happening prior to the screen exports. There is also a giant blue "wall" off to the right side of the screen that is unusable space. 

Mission Editor Woes.png

EDIT - It has since been found that this "bug" may be due to the SSAA setting. 

Does the start screen fill the same space?
What resolution are your monitors?

In your monitor config file
saved games\DCS\Config\Monitorsetup\
try replacing

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

with

UIMainView =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

but change the resolution of width and height to match your main monitor.

Edited by jonsky7

3 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

Does the start screen fill the same space?

What resolution are your monitors?

The start screen, in this case the DCS "splash" box that appears before the main background and loading bar appear are actually offset a bit low and to the left on my main monitor, and then the main background and loading bar are also a bit offset low left, but once the main menu loads in, it is all centered up nicely on my main screen. 

Left monitor is 1920x1080, center (main screen) is 2560x1440, and my CubeSim (in Windows it's my far right screen) is 800x600.

The attached screenshot is using the edited .LUA information of:

UIMainView =
{
x = 1920;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

Mission Editor Weird Blue Box.png

Edited by AngryEchoSix

6 hours ago, AngryEchoSix said:

The start screen, in this case the DCS "splash" box that appears before the main background and loading bar appear are actually offset a bit low and to the left on my main monitor, and then the main background and loading bar are also a bit offset low left, but once the main menu loads in, it is all centered up nicely on my main screen. 

Left monitor is 1920x1080, center (main screen) is 2560x1440, and my CubeSim (in Windows it's my far right screen) is 800x600.

The attached screenshot is using the edited .LUA information of:

UIMainView =
{
x = 1920;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

Mission Editor Weird Blue Box.png

Can you either attach your monitor config file, or copy and paste its contents into your post so I can take a look?
And take a screenshot of your display setup from windows. 

My DCS splash screen appears on my second monitor too, as long as the game runs fine I'm ok with it 🙂

Edited by jonsky7

1 hour ago, jonsky7 said:

Can you either attach your monitor config file, or copy and paste its contents into your post so I can take a look?
And take a screenshot of your display setup from windows. 

My DCS splash screen appears on my second monitor too, as long as the game runs fine I'm ok with it 🙂

Here is my monitor config file, as well as my Windows Monitor Setup screenshot.

Windows Monitor Setup.PNG

Camera + CubeSim_v2.lua